Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Is caulk sandable?

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:44:01 +0000, Becky wrote:

replying to Steve Firth, Becky wrote:
Please help me without making me feel more stupid than I already do. In
prepping my wood stair treads for paint, I used paintable wood filler.
But when I went back to sand, I saw that many places were still deeply
gouged. So (gulp) I made a classic beginner's mistake: I realize now I
screwed up by skimming paintable caulk over these areas.

Here we are two days later and my stair treads are still tacky to the
touch in places. To make it even more horrifying, I am reading that
caulk can't be sanded. I applied it/skimmed it pretty smooth but planned
to sand it to perfection.

Now I read caulk not only can't be sanded, it shrinks over time. So
basically my stair treads will look like sh** by next month. If the
caulk even ever dries.

Is there any hope left? Please be gentle in your responses. I feel very
stupid.

Why didn't you just use another layer of wood filler?

It is quite normal to fill, then sand, then fill any remaining low spots,
then sand again.....

The main thing to remember is to do your final sanding with a fine
sandpaper to avoid leaving gouges from coarse sandpaper.

Given that the caulk is still not set, I would be tempted to scrape it
off, clean remainder off the filler, and then try a bit more filling and
sanding.

Cheers

Dave R

---