Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Is caulk sandable?

Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and also
round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been using caulk
but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it smooth and it was
tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the job
properly.

Caulk often is the best stuff, but you have to remember that it is not
sandable. The trick is to get it right first time! It is water soluble,
so you can smooth it with a damp sponge etc. The main attraction is that
it is very easy to wipe into small imperfections, and it remains
slightly flexible which is handy round door frames etc.

If you want something similar, but sandable, then look for one of the
low density fine surface fillers. Toolstation do a "Instant Plaster
Filler" that is a little like caulk in use, but can be sanded. Product
code 87431.

--
Cheers,

John.