Alan Smithee

Default Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint?

I've stripped down some outside window sills and frames. Should I caulk them
then prime or prime, paint and finish by caulking?

Colbyt

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
I've stripped down some outside window sills and frames. Should I caulk

them
then prime or prime, paint and finish by caulking?

I usually prime, caulk and then paint on a frame house.

On brick, stone or vinyl siding I would caulk last to keep cleaner lines.

Colbyt

BTW, I am not a pro painter.

If you do some research on this you will most likely find no
consistancy. Personally, I wouldn't paint something that is flexible
unless I had paint that could flex, but then again, I'm using white
caulk on areas that are painted white already.

Hopkins

I'd have to agree with the thought that there's no consensus.

I normally prime, caulk, then paint. Some say caulk first but,
obviously, I disagree - whenever I prep windows and I can pull out long
strips of caulking, it's normally bare wood underneath.

I think that whether you caulk after priming or after the finish coat
probably doesn't matter. The one factor would be how well you can run
caulk - if you can get a nice clean bead you could do it last, after
the finish coat. Otherwise, the finished product will look better if
you paint last.

Hopkins

I should add --

Whenever I'm doing a house I try to get all the prep work done first --
scraping/cleaning, priming, caulking, then finish coat. I haven't had a
problem with finish coat cracking when applied over caulk, but you have
to allow time for the caulk to set. This is why I say, whether you
caulk after priming or after finish coat, it doesn't matter. But, from
personal experience, I'd avoid caulking on bare wood.

Why caulk outside window? Rick Home Repair 9 February 5th 05 09:25 PM
Best material for window sills? mark UK diy 24 January 23rd 05 01:06 AM
Tiled Window Sills mlv UK diy 6 November 4th 04 07:53 AM
window stuck with old paint neil leslie UK diy 4 September 10th 04 10:20 AM
exterior paint adhering or not? Gary C Home Repair 3 November 2nd 03 10:57 AM