DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/103423-window-sills-prime-paint-caulk-prime-caulk-paint.html)

Alan Smithee April 17th 05 06:43 PM

Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint?

I've stripped down some outside window sills and frames. Should I caulk them
then prime or prime, paint and finish by caulking?

Colbyt April 17th 05 08:36 PM

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
I've stripped down some outside window sills and frames. Should I caulk

them
then prime or prime, paint and finish by caulking?

I usually prime, caulk and then paint on a frame house.

On brick, stone or vinyl siding I would caulk last to keep cleaner lines.

Colbyt

BTW, I am not a pro painter.

[email protected] April 18th 05 01:59 PM

If you do some research on this you will most likely find no
consistancy. Personally, I wouldn't paint something that is flexible
unless I had paint that could flex, but then again, I'm using white
caulk on areas that are painted white already.

Hopkins April 18th 05 03:57 PM

I'd have to agree with the thought that there's no consensus.

I normally prime, caulk, then paint. Some say caulk first but,
obviously, I disagree - whenever I prep windows and I can pull out long
strips of caulking, it's normally bare wood underneath.

I think that whether you caulk after priming or after the finish coat
probably doesn't matter. The one factor would be how well you can run
caulk - if you can get a nice clean bead you could do it last, after
the finish coat. Otherwise, the finished product will look better if
you paint last.

Hopkins April 18th 05 04:03 PM

I should add --

Whenever I'm doing a house I try to get all the prep work done first --
scraping/cleaning, priming, caulking, then finish coat. I haven't had a
problem with finish coat cracking when applied over caulk, but you have
to allow time for the caulk to set. This is why I say, whether you
caulk after priming or after finish coat, it doesn't matter. But, from
personal experience, I'd avoid caulking on bare wood.