Rick

Default Why caulk outside window?

If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air
sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

Research the way walls are built.
Pay close attention to flashing.
Sealants are used to exclude water,
including wind driven water.
TB

Rick wrote:

If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside?

You don't, except to prevent rainwater leaks. The vapor barrier should be
on the inside in a cold climate, to prevent condensation inside walls...

It's also easier to find and fix air leaks from the inside, on a cold day,
using a large exhaust fan and cheap siliconized latex caulk that dries clear.

Nick

Buck Turgidson

"Rick" wrote in message
If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air
sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

If you caulk both sides, you'll have a dead air space, and dead air space
increases insulating value.

Matt

In your case, you don't need to caulk inside or outside. The plastic
sheeting over all the windows takes care of everything. And who cares
if your trailer gets a little water in it anyway? It's probably the
first time the floors have even come close to being washed.

John Hines

"Rick" wrote:

If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air
sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

To keep water out of the walls. The caulk on the inside is for airflow,
and looks.
Martik

John Hines wrote:
"Rick" wrote:

If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air
sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

To keep water out of the walls. The caulk on the inside is for airflow,
and looks.

I forgot to mention that the new windows I am installing are completely
SEALED from any air/water leaks. I guess the caulking would be a BACKUP
measure.
John Hines

Martik wrote:

John Hines wrote:
"Rick" wrote:

If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air
sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

To keep water out of the walls. The caulk on the inside is for airflow,
and looks.

I forgot to mention that the new windows I am installing are completely
SEALED from any air/water leaks. I guess the caulking would be a BACKUP
measure.

One caulks the gap between the sealed window unit, and the wall it is
installed in.
Norminn

Rick wrote:
If I caulk the inside why do I need to caulk the outside? Isn't the air
sealed once I caulk all gaps on the inside?

Helps keep the heat in. Helps keep water and insects, like termites, out.