mlv

Default Tiled Window Sills

I have to build some external tiled window sills on an extension to match
with an existing building.

The sills are two layers of cut-down plain concrete roof tiles (Redland)
cemented with staggered joints to the outer leaf at a downward angle
directly below the window aperture.

This doesn't look too easy to achieve without some sort of wooden frame/jig
that will hold the tiles in the correct position and at the right angle
whilst the cement cures.

Has anyone built a tiled sill? Any tips on how best to do it?

TIA
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your

Mike Taylor

The easy way is exactly as you have said using timber
depending on the width of the cill I put 2 or 3 pieces of say 25mm thick
timber batten upright below the cill and fix these to the brick wall with
pins or screws
then nail another piece of 25mm thick timber horizontally across at the top
to support the outer edge of the tile. (it doesnt reallt need supporting but
what you have now is a guide edge approx 50mm out from the wall.
The bed your lower tile on normal mortar usinfg the front edge of the tile
onto the batten. Bed your top tile at mor of a slope than the bottom one and
there it is
Allow to set for a day or two and remove the battens, Using the uprights
means you can point/tidy the joint under the tile

The Natural Philosopher

mlv wrote:

I have to build some external tiled window sills on an extension to match
with an existing building.

The sills are two layers of cut-down plain concrete roof tiles (Redland)
cemented with staggered joints to the outer leaf at a downward angle
directly below the window aperture.

This doesn't look too easy to achieve without some sort of wooden frame/jig
that will hold the tiles in the correct position and at the right angle
whilst the cement cures.

Has anyone built a tiled sill? Any tips on how best to do it?

No, but if its like the ones we had, its pretty easy. Tht is a tile was
laid over teh clill interior first, then provbaly weighted down, the
next day teh top layer could be moratterd on. In our case there was a
slid oag frame on tpp off or butted up to the top tile layer.

The stiff mortar will hold the angle you want of itself.

TIA

mlv

Natty Phil triped:

No, but if its like the ones we had, its pretty easy. Tht is a tile was
laid over teh clill interior first, then provbaly weighted down, the
next day teh top layer could be moratterd on. In our case there was a
slid oag frame on tpp off or butted up to the top tile layer.

I see you're still writing in code :-)

What's a "slid oag frame"?
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your
reply-

The Natural Philosopher

mlv wrote:

Natty Phil triped:

No, but if its like the ones we had, its pretty easy. Tht is a tile was
laid over teh clill interior first, then provbaly weighted down, the
next day teh top layer could be moratterd on. In our case there was a
slid oag frame on tpp off or butted up to the top tile layer.

I see you're still writing in code :-)

What's a "slid oag frame"?

a solid oak frame of course.

Some people.