Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

Default Caulk

Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was powdery
that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bill wrote:
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was powdery
that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was
powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?

What do you recommend to get Chris?

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bill wrote:
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was
powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?

What do you recommend to get Chris?

Depends what you're filling... acrylic is not much good for
small imperfections in walls, etc. because it results in a
very flat (shiny) surface, which tends to show through paint.
You can't really sand it, 'cos the sanded finish is poor.
It is good for cracks around architraves, in the corners of
walls and ceilings, that sort of thing, where you can gun it
in and tool it with a spatula or wet finger or whatever. For
craters and small imperfections in walls, stuff like Wickes
filler (powder that you mix with water) is quite good, and
cheap, but sometimes there seems a little "grit", very, very
fine sand in it, which can be a B- when feathering out thin.
Still, it rubs down easily enough. More expensive fillers
(like "Polyfiller") are really, really fine powders. I find
the cheaper stuff is OK. Personally, I don't like "ready
mixed", 'cos it has a shelf life, bits can get into it, it's
mixed to a consistency and you have to fiddle with it anyway
to change the consistency, and it's more expensive than the
powder.

You can get mix-it-yourself filler to feather really, really
well if you add a drop or two of PVA to the mix (*after*
adding some water). This can make the stuff unfortunately
rather abrasion resistant, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Owain wrote:
Bill wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote ...
What do you recommend to get Chris?

Don't tempt us ...

I suppose you didn't bother to read my (hopefully) helpful
reply. I suppose you won't make a positive contribution,
either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Chris Bacon wrote:

Bill wrote:

Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was
powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?

I thought caulk was a quick fix for small gaps. Are you saying that
there are two types of caulk, depending on the end usage?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was
powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

cheers

Thanks for the comments.
So, can i get some form of gap filler that can be sanded but can be used in
a gun?

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave contains these words:

I thought caulk was a quick fix for small gaps. Are you saying that
there are two types of caulk, depending on the end usage?

As I use it, caulk comes in tubes for a skeleton gun and is for things
like gaps between skirtings and unevenesses in walls, down the edges of
fitted units, that sort of thing. Stays slightly flexible and is very
very sticky so it doesn't come adrift and expose a gap just where you
were hoping to hide one.

Filler is for filling dents and things, perhaps sloppily made joints
which aren't expected to move slightly, that sort of thing.

Filler you trowel on and sand down. Caulk you get right while it's wet,
using a wet finger if needed.

Filler is (often) plaster based, caulk is PVA based.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Bill" contains these words:

So, can i get some form of gap filler that can be sanded but can be used in
a gun?

I've not seen one, but there's nothing to stop you making up the filler
you like and sticking it in an old caulking cartridge.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?

Are you saying that
there are two types of caulk, depending on the end usage?

No, I was just suggesting that there might be a difference
in what was being said to what was needed! Whether that's so
or not I'm unsure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:12:24 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was
powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

cheers

Thanks for the comments.
So, can i get some form of gap filler that can be sanded but can be used in
a gun?

cheers

I've got some Evo-Stik Decorators Caulk in a gunnable tube that can be painted
and sanded .I got it from www.bes.co.uk ...Item no 10359
I havent yet used it so can't comment on it's performance ..

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fuxit

Bill wrote:
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was powdery
that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

cheers

Sandable caulk used to be available (Radiospares listed it about 10
years ago), but I've not seen it around for a looooong time. I would
use it every time if I could get it easily.