Abe

Default Glass shower door caulk selection

I've just finished removing all the glass and metal hardware that was
the door to my fiberglass shower stall. Silicone caulk was used on
the door frame sides and there was a bead on each side of the
threshold. But under the threshold was some white, flexible caulk
that acted like it never really cured and there was a lot of it.

I'm doing my best to clean everything up and hope to hit a boating
supply store this weekend to see what kinds of caulk remover they
sell.

What I'm not sure of is what the under-the-threshold caulk was. I
know if it had been silicone I may not have been able to get it loose,
so I'm interested in using similar stuff again. Does anyone know what
this stuff is and what I need to buy?

** Due to SPAM I no longer receive email responses to
** newsgroup postings, so don't bother.
Boden

The material may have been a mastic. The wrong material for the job
because it doesn't cure.

Silicone caulks have become the favored caulk but in my opinion
silicones are the worst material that can be used. Silicones
(siloxanes) typically are molecules that are difficult or impossible to
attach to once cured. Consequently, when (not if) the caulk fails or
leaks it is not possible to repair the leak since additional silicone
caulk won't attach well to the previously cured silicone.

I prefer to use a urethane caulk. It is messier to apply, but far more
durable and repairable. I mask the sides of the caulk bead and remove
the masking tape when the urethane is partially cured.

Bostick is a good supplier as is 3M. 3M's urethane caulk will be found
at any good boating store. I've bought it at West Marine.

Boden