Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Caulk

Bill wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message...
Bill wrote:
Just used some decorators caulk after not using it for years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used to be in a form that was
powdery that you could sand lightly?

This acrylic stuff is like bleedin bath sealant...
Am I missing something here?

You've bought caulk, rather than filler, perhaps?

What do you recommend to get Chris?

Depends what you're filling... acrylic is not much good for
small imperfections in walls, etc. because it results in a
very flat (shiny) surface, which tends to show through paint.
You can't really sand it, 'cos the sanded finish is poor.
It is good for cracks around architraves, in the corners of
walls and ceilings, that sort of thing, where you can gun it
in and tool it with a spatula or wet finger or whatever. For
craters and small imperfections in walls, stuff like Wickes
filler (powder that you mix with water) is quite good, and
cheap, but sometimes there seems a little "grit", very, very
fine sand in it, which can be a B- when feathering out thin.
Still, it rubs down easily enough. More expensive fillers
(like "Polyfiller") are really, really fine powders. I find
the cheaper stuff is OK. Personally, I don't like "ready
mixed", 'cos it has a shelf life, bits can get into it, it's
mixed to a consistency and you have to fiddle with it anyway
to change the consistency, and it's more expensive than the
powder.

You can get mix-it-yourself filler to feather really, really
well if you add a drop or two of PVA to the mix (*after*
adding some water). This can make the stuff unfortunately
rather abrasion resistant, though.