PC

Default Removing Caulk

Fein has a couple of scraper blade for the Multimaster that are designed
for removing caulk. The are actually chisel like blades which you can
sharpen that vibrate side-to-side and cut right through caulk.
I've used it on cured polyurethane with good results.

http://www.feinus.com/multimaster/ne...wspecialty.htm

There is also a formed blade for removing polyurethane caulk from the
joints between boards, as found in wooden boat decking that they call
their "Teak" blade.

http://www.feinus.com/multimaster/ne...newcutting.htm

Phil

BUB 209 wrote:
I guess the moral of this story is that it's always possible to learn the hard
way.
A roofing contractor calls me frequently to do follow-up carpentry after his
roofing jobs, and this one was to replace the cedar trim around some windows
in a mansard roof. When I checked the job out and gave a price, I didn't
notice that the roofers had caulked the flashing to the rotten cedar that I had
to remove, on the 8 windows, all along the top, which in some cases was
12 feet. When I started the job, first thing I found out is that cured poly-
urethane sealant is practically impregnable to razor knives, chisels, or
scrapers.
To simply tear the wood off the flashing was impossible, the flashing
would've been bent to smithereens, so after an hour of research on the cell
phone I bought one of those flame diverters for propane torches and
modified it into a scraper shape on the end and mounted it to the torch
tip with small hose clamps. It was very effective in separating the caulk
from the flashing, but what a time consuming mess! The caulk would
begin smoldering and spluttering and throwing off little blobs ( I have the
burn blisters to prove it) andproduce the most noxious fumes imaginable
which were hard not to breathe being up on a scaffold. I hadn't included
the cost of a hazmat outfit in the job. And then there was the cleanup,
because the burned caulk turned into a permanent, gooey mess and got
all over the equipment. The moral being, small details are the most
important aspect of bidding jobs. By the way, is there such a thing as
an electrically heated scraper for removing caulk?

BUB 209

Thanks for the tip, literally, I suppose.
Ernie Jurick

"BUB 209" wrote in message
By the way, is there such a thing as
an electrically heated scraper for removing caulk?

Yes, a knife cutter is a popular attachment for most soldering guns. Less of
a fire hazard, too.
http://tinyurl.com/iu1l I have an ancient Weller with a linoleum cutter
blade which would work even better for your purpose, although I can't find a
source online.
-- Ernie