Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vacuum cleaners

Hi,

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:41:23 UTC, Adrian wrote:

Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Actually, no. His name is Charles.

(Clue: he did mention wet/dry).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr 2008 13:17:41 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:41:23 UTC, Adrian wrote:

Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Actually, no. His name is Charles.

(Clue: he did mention wet/dry).

No it has to be "George".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:41:23 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has
relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Your "relatively cheap" differs from mine. B-) Cheapest Henry I've seen
is just over £60 mark, I've also seen 'em over £120!

For about half that you can get an Earlex bigger tub, wet 'n dry, (Don't
think Henry likes water...), built down to the price but mines OK for DIY
from dust collection to rubble picking up and the odd bit of drain
emptying. I've got the one with the power take off which switches the vac
on when a power tool connected there powers up, great fro dust collection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice ("Dave Liquorice" ) gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has
relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Your "relatively cheap" differs from mine. B-)

Even ignoring the fact that the original question only used "relatively
cheap" in connection with the consumables, I can only say "Dyson..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Even with slightly damp plaster dust.

That's an interesting concept...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Even with slightly damp plaster dust.

That's an interesting concept...

How can you call Dyson filters relatively cheap? they clog almost
immediately with plaster, cement dust etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Dave Liquorice ("Dave Liquorice" ) gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has
relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Your "relatively cheap" differs from mine. B-)

Even ignoring the fact that the original question only used "relatively
cheap" in connection with the consumables, I can only say "Dyson..."

ROFLMAO.
The most expensive load of utter crap to ever be foisted on a gullible
public.

Apart from the Priapus of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher (The Natural Philosopher ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has
relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Your "relatively cheap" differs from mine. B-)

Even ignoring the fact that the original question only used "relatively
cheap" in connection with the consumables, I can only say "Dyson..."

ROFLMAO.
The most expensive load of utter crap to ever be foisted on a gullible
public.

Well, quite. All things are relative.

Apart from the Priapus of course.

hides

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback writes:
How can you call Dyson filters relatively cheap?

You never have to replace them (at least I never have).

they clog almost immediately with plaster, cement dust etc.

Not in my experience, indeed a Dyson is the only thing I've
found that actually copes with these. I can normally get 5
or more large canisters full of plaster/cement dust before
swapping a filter. Each canister holds many times the
capacity of a vacuum cleaner bag in any case. I wish someone
made an industrial grade portable cyclone cleaner which came
close, but they don't (and can't because Dyson holds all the
patents on making small cyclones viable).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:37:48 UTC, EricP wrote:

On 22 Apr 2008 13:17:41 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:41:23 UTC, Adrian wrote:

Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Actually, no. His name is Charles.

(Clue: he did mention wet/dry).

No it has to be "George".

I think Charles is the basic one, George is the all singing all dancing
model.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager ("Bob Eager" ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has
started to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that
for the price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum!
Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that
has relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Actually, no. His name is Charles.

(Clue: he did mention wet/dry).

No it has to be "George".

I think Charles is the basic one, George is the all singing all dancing
model.

waves hand vaguely
They're all brothers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard Russell writes:
On 22 Apr, 16:46, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Not in my experience, indeed a Dyson is the only thing I've
found that actually copes with these. I can normally get 5
or more large canisters full of plaster/cement dust before
swapping a filter. Each canister holds many times the
capacity of a vacuum cleaner bag in any case.

I agree in general, but you need to be more specific about *which*
Dyson. I've got an old DC03 upright (the 'lightweight' one) and
recently had to replace the entire cyclone/canister because the old
one had become internally clogged with DIY detritus. I couldn't find
a way to dismantle that part.

I use a DC04 for DIY. It can swallow the volume/rate of plaster
dust which my plaster chaser (double blade angle grinder) chucks
out, which a Henry couldn't get close to. Henry's initial suck
isn't strong enough to catch all the dust at the plaster chaser
in the first place, and after about 10 seconds, it had virtually
no suck left as the bag was clogged. Tried it bagless and it
just chucked all the muck out the exhaust. Useless.

I recently used a friend's DC07 for plaster dust and sanding dust
(sanding a maple floor with an industrial sander). I noticed
the DC07 (which is next generation fron the DC04) hardly even
got it's washable filter dirty after several emptyings of the
canister, so it would seem that does an even better filtering
job in the cyclone. I also have a DC07, but that's reserved for
housework, whereas the DC04 is used exclusively for DIY.

Nevertheless, Dysons are excellent on the whole and people who
criticise them must either have been unlucky or have an axe to grind.
I was also impressed that I was easily able to buy a replacement part
for such an old machine.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

Just a thought....
I wonder if anyone has tried using a water-filter to filter the dust
through such a beast.
What I mean is... extending the inlet pipe down to the bottom of the
drum and putting a few litres of water in.
All dust would then be retained within the water which could be changed
very rapidly at no cost.
No filters, 100% efficiency and 100% dust captured.
A vacuum cleaner bong!

Just a thought. Used to work well in tractors (or was it landrovers)
where the air inlet was drawn through an oil filled "saucepan" as a
pre-filter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Even ignoring the fact that the original question only used "relatively
cheap" in connection with the consumables, I can only say "Dyson..."

My first-issue Dyson tug-along is still going stron in the garage.
It is brilliant for plugging onto the B&D Plane with plane attachement
ductaped to the hose.

Sucks up everything thrown out by the circular saw when attacheded again
with ductape.

It's firmly established its self as a darage-dust vacuum and must now be
close to 15 years old at a guess. Still on first motor and only had
filters (now on washable ones)

It honestly is brilliant.
Plaster dust will clog henry's bag within a minute or 2. Dyson will go
on longer and filters can be tapped out.

No idea if the modern ones are as good as my old one, but it's trully
brilliant! Uprights are completely bollox though. I have one of them too!

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Just a thought. Used to work well in tractors (or was it landrovers)
where the air inlet was drawn through an oil filled "saucepan" as a
pre-filter.

Possibly a bit more tricky if being used with plaster or cement though....
Doh !!

:¬)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to
clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of
half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a
good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap
consumables?

The pleated paper filters should clean out easily enough with a soft
toothbrush and a bit of tapping. However a trick I use on my Goblin wet and
dry in the workshop is to cut the end off an old cotton pillow case and put
that round the filter with a big elastic band. It stops most of the muck
getting into the pleats of the filter and doesn't seem to reduce the suction
to a noticeable degree. It increases filter life by an order of magnitude
and saves having to brush out the pleats every time you empty the container.

What really kills those paper element filters is using them wet though. Any
dust in them then dries like concrete and they're pretty much buggered after
that. I resort back to sponges and buckets for cleaning up spills rather
than kill the vacuum cleaner for the sake of saving a few seconds work.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:41:23 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has
relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Your "relatively cheap" differs from mine. B-) Cheapest Henry I've seen
is just over £60 mark, I've also seen 'em over £120!

For about half that you can get an Earlex bigger tub, wet 'n dry, (Don't
think Henry likes water...), built down to the price but mines OK for DIY
from dust collection to rubble picking up and the odd bit of drain
emptying. I've got the one with the power take off which switches the vac
on when a power tool connected there powers up, great fro dust collection.

I've got a spare filter for it but a stiff brush and tapping unclogs the
ribs easily. Even with slightly damp plaster dust.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Agree. Earlex / Wickes for rubble and wet use. Henry for less mucky (quiet,
very long lead with convenient winder) and it's fine for domestic use. I got
my Henry from eBay, Screwfix prices are a joke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr 2008 14:21:27 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Even with slightly damp plaster dust.

That's an interesting concept...

Dry enough to still be dust but wet enough to set when properly dry...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:19:50 -0700 (PDT), Richard Russell wrote:

Nevertheless, Dysons are excellent on the whole and people who
criticise them must either have been unlucky or have an axe to grind.

The only thing that niggles me about our DC04 is the small canister. A
good session round a room or two and you need to empty it. I suspect it's
still sucking muck out of the carpets that previous conventional vacs left
behind.

I was also impressed that I was easily able to buy a replacement part
for such an old machine.

Or the £65 inc VAT inc parts fixed fee, in home, service. Treated our DC04
to one of them recently, very satisfied.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has
started to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that
for the price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum!
Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that
has relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

Not for nomral household use, but for sucking up plaster dust they are
essencial.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner.
It's lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has
started to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that
for the price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum!
Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that
has relatively cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a
Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

All vacuum cleaners with round tubs are cyclones. Notice the inlet is not
at 90 degrees but to one side - in the same direction the motor blades
rotate.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Fred wrote:
Hi,

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

Just a thought....
I wonder if anyone has tried using a water-filter to filter the dust
through such a beast.
What I mean is... extending the inlet pipe down to the bottom of the
drum and putting a few litres of water in.
All dust would then be retained within the water which could be
changed very rapidly at no cost.
No filters, 100% efficiency and 100% dust captured.
A vacuum cleaner bong!

It has been done several times. None of the major producers ever launched
it, a few fringe manufacturers did & charged well OTT prices for the
machines. It never really caught on.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 23:03:47 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-04-22 22:13:32 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a
Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

All vacuum cleaners with round tubs are cyclones. Notice the inlet is not
at 90 degrees but to one side - in the same direction the motor blades
rotate.

OK, but comparing to a conical arrangement as used on a dust extractor
not as efficient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

No, it has a permanent filter too.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

No, it has a permanent filter too.

OK, but that will also clog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 20:00:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Adrian wrote:
Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's
lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started
to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the
price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone
recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively
cheap consumables?

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

No, it has a permanent filter too.

OK, but that will also clog.

Yes...but it's pretty quick to clear. It's loose fabric (mesh) mounted
on a ring the same diameter as the tub.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 22:13:32 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

No, it has a permanent filter too.

OK, but that will also clog.

Yes...but it's pretty quick to clear. It's loose fabric (mesh) mounted
on a ring the same diameter as the tub.

Ah OK.

I suppose it depends on what you want.

I'm not particularly a fan of Dyson in that their products could do
with beefing up - a decent workshop grade cyclone cleaner would be an
interesting product because the cyclone technology certainly works.

My wall mounted workshop dust extractor has a cylinder with cone below
and bin below that. The fan is on the top on the exit path and is
followed by a large polyester pleated cartridge filter. This filter
gets cleaned periodically but very little dust finds its way past the
cyclone.

For a workshop cleaner and with certain hand tools I have a Bosch GAS
50. The filters on this are also polyester and can be washed or
there is a mechanical shaker. It will suck up any old crap very
well, wet or dry. However I'm not sure that I would trust it with
really fine dust.

The same firm, Oneida, who supplied my large extractor make a small
cyclone in two versions to use as a front end to a workshop cleaner.

http://store.oneida-air.com/dustdeputydiypackage.aspx

An interesting way to maintain high suction without clogging filters in
a conventional cleaner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-22 22:13:32 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

It's a cyclone device?

No, it has a permanent filter too.

OK, but that will also clog.

Yes...but it's pretty quick to clear. It's loose fabric (mesh) mounted
on a ring the same diameter as the tub.

Ah OK.

I suppose it depends on what you want.

Having owned two Henrys, I find that they emit a colossal amount of
fine dust whether used with or without the bag. The permanent filter
has a large mesh which allows a lot of dust into the air. The bags
themselves release a lot of fine dust.

You can get what I think NuMatic claim is a HEPA filter for the Henry,
but the casing and filter ring joint is far from airtight in my
experience and so the fine dust still escapes.

The Henry is a good, powerful vacuum cleaner which works well for
normal domestic tasks and cleaning up after DIY jobs. It is also
excellent value; I gladly paid £117 for my first one in 1989 and they
are much cheaper now in real terms. However, if you object to, or are
allergic to dust, you are probably better choosing another brand.

I now use a Miele 1500W cylinder cleaner which has genuine HEPA
filtration and doesn't leak dust from its joints. There is even a
clever bag system that prevents dust escaping when you change bags. It
is every bit as robust and reliable as a Henry - mine looks battered
but still works as well as when it was new, and it is ten years old
now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article
,
Richard Russell writes:
On 22 Apr, 16:46, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

couple of us talking about vacuums last week (sad I know) ... 3 of the guys
had Dysons, and all of them have had failures, one guys advised his fails
every 18months ... this must be a really poor machine design.
It might be clever, it might be different ... but if it isn't reliable it is
a risky purchase.

I consigned all vacuum's to the skip ... and have a built in vacuum in my
house ... A Beam Serenity Plus .... a whole level of magnitude more powerful
than standard domestic vacs (and I include Kirby & Henry in that list)

No heavy machine to lug about, very quiet (at hose end anyway) ... only
needs emptying twice a year ... no bags, and exhaust air goes outside the
building.

Also provides me with vacuum points in garage for power tools ... all in all
a great bit of kit.

Surprised that developers are not putting them in as standard ... suppose it
will come, but typical UK building industry always 10 years behind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
couple of us talking about vacuums last week (sad I know) ... 3 of the guys
had Dysons, and all of them have had failures, one guys advised his fails
every 18months ... this must be a really poor machine design.
It might be clever, it might be different ... but if it isn't reliable it is
a risky purchase.

I really struggle to imagine what people do to them. Counting up
around my family, I can think of 5 Dysons. They're all at least
3 years old, and many much older. None have ever gone wrong.
One of the old ones started cutting out, but that's because it's
probably about 9 years old (predates the washable filters), and
its HEPA "replace annually" filter has never been changed in its
life. The vacuums we had before -- I don't think any of them
lasted 8 years. I recall a couple of Hoovers burning out quite
spectacularly, and nothing else has come close to the Dysons
in terms of continuous suck and the effectiveness with which
the exhaust air is actually cleaned. None of the Dysons has
ever needed its post motor filter changing and they're all still
bright white with only the tiniest traces of dust from the motor
brushes in one of the oldest ones. One of these (a DC04) has been
used all its life for DIY -- mostly plaster and brick dust,
because it works so much better than anything else I can find.
As I said before, a Henry was completely useless in comparison;
this type of material has to be filtered out by cyclone as a
bag either quickly clogs, or passes the dust straight through.

I consigned all vacuum's to the skip ... and have a built in vacuum in my
house ... A Beam Serenity Plus .... a whole level of magnitude more powerful
than standard domestic vacs (and I include Kirby & Henry in that list)

No heavy machine to lug about, very quiet (at hose end anyway) ... only
needs emptying twice a year ... no bags, and exhaust air goes outside the
building.

Also provides me with vacuum points in garage for power tools ... all in all
a great bit of kit.

Surprised that developers are not putting them in as standard ... suppose it
will come, but typical UK building industry always 10 years behind.

It's been and gone, in the late 1950's and 1960's a number of
houses were built with them. They lasted into the 1970's in
some commercial buildings. Wembley conference centre managed
to keep its one working until the mid 1980's before having to
give up on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Russell writes:
[...]

What on earth does it cost though? Is it something only practical to
install in new-builds?
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.
Which is fortunate

Not really. You don't actually have to use the bags at all on a Henry.

Not for nomral household use, but for sucking up plaster dust they are
essencial.

And block within an incredibly short time :¬(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Richard Russell wrote:
Nevertheless, Dysons are excellent on the whole and people who
criticise them must either have been unlucky or have an axe to grind.

A neighbour who also cleans for me has had three Dysons to my one
Panasonic. Strange people get so passionate about a mere device used for
cleaning carpets, etc.

I was also impressed that I was easily able to buy a replacement part
for such an old machine.

I found it telling that a branch of Curries had a rack full of Dyson
spares on display. Only fast moving parts get that treatment.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:20:28 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I found it telling that a branch of Curries had a rack full of Dyson
spares on display. Only fast moving parts get that treatment.

And no bags, belts or filters for other makes?

Dyson are good marketeers, providing stores with big display stands gives
their product a higher profile and people looking will see the easy
availability of spares, whether they will actually need them or not. It
still raises a "plus point".

Remember POS stands are provided by the product maker not the store,
likewise the BOGOF or price reductions you see in supermarkets come from
the manufactureres not the store. Quite often the same BOGOF or a similar
price reduction will be available in many different named stores at the
same time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

OT-ish Vacuum cleaners Mogga UK diy 2 August 14th 07 08:02 PM
Bagless Vacuum Cleaners [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 14th 06 05:36 AM
automated vacuum cleaners janpan Home Ownership 3 August 16th 05 11:12 AM
Workshop Vacuum Cleaners Hamie UK diy 14 May 11th 05 02:07 AM