Hamie

Default Workshop Vacuum Cleaners

I'm about to buy a vacuum for the DIY, since the wife is about to kill
me for breaking one vacuum cleaner already...

I've narrowed it down to 3 possibles...

1. A 1200W 30l/min job 'el cheapo' from toolstation.com. 39.74
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=98016

2. A 1200W 30l/min very similiar to #1 except it appears to have
appliance sockets on it. 69.95
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=53892

3. A deWalt DC500. 100l/min, but very small... 99.95
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=79967

The first two don't appear to have a manufacturer listed... Does anyone
know whether they're any good? They are wet & dry, but apparently need a
separate filter for wet operation. Is the only difference betwene them
the included applicance sockets on the second? And does the first come
with an attachement for power tools (The second seems to - at least
according to the photo, but then that may be an unlisted optional extra)?

Is the DC500 worth that much more than those two? I really need

1. Wet & Dry
2. Power tool attachment.
3. Suction good enough to stopthe bulk of the crap getting onto the
carpets & dust everywere when I drill/sand/strip plaster (i.e. by using
it near the work areawhen using the cold chisel etc... That dust goes
for miles).

TIA

Hamish.
Housemartin

I've got a DC500 and have had it for 3 months it seems really good for
the sort of work I do (home maintenance , carpentry/handyman business)
I like the portability and the suction is fine for my power planer.
Don't know about the other 2.
I used to own a B&Q Job the very small one with power take off and it
was c**p. Incidentally I bought the DC500 on Ebay Brand new for =A375.

John Stumbles

Hamie wrote:

I'm about to buy a vacuum for the DIY, since the wife is about to kill
me for breaking one vacuum cleaner already...

I've narrowed it down to 3 possibles...

1. A 1200W 30l/min job 'el cheapo' from toolstation.com. 39.74
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=98016

2. A 1200W 30l/min very similiar to #1 except it appears to have
appliance sockets on it. 69.95
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=53892

3. A deWalt DC500. 100l/min, but very small... 99.95
http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?code=79967

Ahem!
That's 30l/_sec_ for the 1st two, 100l/_minute_ for the 3rd!

I'm still having trouble with the deWalt, or more specifically its filter:
it blocks up almost solidly (though invisibly) as soon as you look at it.
Mine is currently so crap you genuinely can't tell which is the suck and
which is the blow end. I've had one replacement machine from TS so far but
the new one has gone just as bad. It's definitely the filter: if you remove
it the machine has a reasonable suck/blow (though obviously you don't want
to use it without the filter for sucking up muck).

It's also a slightly odd design in that it has no more power on mains than
on 14.4V battery. In other respects (i.e. if it worked!) it's a reasonably
handy machine, though not what you want for hoovering up lots of muck.

The first two don't appear to have a manufacturer listed... Does anyone
know whether they're any good? They are wet & dry, but apparently need a
separate filter for wet operation. Is the only difference betwene them
the included applicance sockets on the second? And does the first come
with an attachement for power tools (The second seems to - at least
according to the photo, but then that may be an unlisted optional extra)?

The Earlex(?)/Wickes own-brand is another cheapie wet/dry machine, which has
blow as well as suck (which can be useful). You can get a wet/dry filter
for it so you don't need to change between separate filters for wet & dry.
Snags are it tends to splutter wet splashes out from the top if it gets too
full of water, and blow dust out if you suck up too much fine dust.

Is the DC500 worth that much more than those two? I really need

1. Wet & Dry
2. Power tool attachment.
3. Suction good enough to stopthe bulk of the crap getting onto the
carpets & dust everywere when I drill/sand/strip plaster (i.e. by using
it near the work areawhen using the cold chisel etc... That dust goes
for miles).

I use mine to follow the angle grinder when I'm cutting chases and if I cut
slowly enough it keeps the dust manageable. Having a blow port allows me to
stick another hose out of the window to help get the overall airflow to be
out of the house so dust doesn't drift indoors.

John

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Hamie wrote:

[...]

I used to have a filter element type vacuum with what turned out to be a
pretty heavy consumption of expensive cartridges. I now use a Henry which
has a fabric "shake clean" filter and it does the job just fine. Cleans up
after work, cleans out boilers, fits to my diamond cutter etc. Been using it
every day for three years now.

David Lang

Hi Hamish
The first two don't appear to have a manufacturer listed... Does anyone
know whether they're any good?

Generic Italian machines, probably nothing much wrong with either, but
spares might be tricky in future.

They are wet & dry, but apparently need a
separate filter for wet operation.

Almost all wet/dry vacs have a dry filter which you just remove for wet use.
You can buy wet filters as extras.

Is the only difference betwene them
the included applicance sockets on the second? And does the first come
with an attachement for power tools (The second seems to - at least
according to the photo, but then that may be an unlisted optional extra)?

I'd guess the cheaper one doesn't have the socket & elecronics - very useful
feature. No vac ever has the right adaptor for every power tool, but
Axminster sell loads of adaptors.

Is the DC500 worth that much more than those two? I really need

You must be paying a lot for the battery function. I'd never rate a battery
vacuum, not enough run time and very limited capacity.

1. Wet & Dry
2. Power tool attachment.
3. Suction good enough to stop the bulk of the crap getting onto the
carpets & dust everywere when I drill/sand/strip plaster (i.e. by using
it near the work area when using the cold chisel etc... That dust goes
for miles).

The Earlex Powervacs sold by Screwfix and others are very good value and you
can get the parts for them.

Dave

rrh

The Earlex Powervacs sold by Screwfix and others are very good value and
you
can get the parts for them.

Very happy with my Earlex for under £40 from Argos. And I just saw what
seems to be an identical own-badged one in Wickes for under £30.

AlexW

rrh wrote:
The Earlex Powervacs sold by Screwfix and others are very good value and
you
can get the parts for them.

Very happy with my Earlex for under £40 from Argos. And I just saw what
seems to be an identical own-badged one in Wickes for under £30.

Inherited an Earlex (Machinemart in this case) from a mate.

Very pleased with it. It powers my triton dust collector just fine.

I use an old dyson, for portable hand tools, cos its a bit more portable.

Alex.
Ian White

rrh wrote:
The Earlex Powervacs sold by Screwfix and others are very good value and
you
can get the parts for them.

Very happy with my Earlex for under £40 from Argos. And I just saw what
seems to be an identical own-badged one in Wickes for under £30.

Another satisfied customer here - I wouldn't want to use it all day,
every day, but for rough cleanup work it certainly does the job.

It may be worth paying a pound or two more to buy it from somewhere that
sells the full line of accessories, particularly the reusable wet/dry
filter.

--
Ian White

Hi,
I've used an Earlex for about 5 years and am
very happy with it.
I "modified" the design to add a handle to the
top so that it makes lugging the unit around much
easier.
I've never bought proper spare paper bags for the
machine because I found that by cutting the stitched
bottom off a "standard" upright cleaner bag it is a
neat fit on the Earlex: perhaps a tip for others
who have an Earlex and a few spare paper bags
for long-gone vacuum cleaners?

I did renew the mains cable on the machine to allow
me easy access to the other side of the car when
cleaning it out (three kids, so it's a toss-up on
whether to clean out the car or inflate the tyres
more :-)

The Earlex's inlet and outlet holes are the same
diameter, so you can use the machine to blow
rather than suck. Makes for a twenty-second
inflation for air-mattresses or for other inflatables if
I could find my puncture-repair outfit... !

No qualms with Earlex then; can't talk about the
others mentioned.

Mungo

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

I have an old aquavac that I use in the garage, works great but I just
descovered while reading this thread about the accessory power socket to
turn on the vac when you power on a power tool through the vac.......

Does anyone know of an off the shelf plug that does the same job that I can
hack into my aquavac to do the same thing?

Paul

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
I have an old aquavac that I use in the garage, works great but I just
descovered while reading this thread about the accessory power socket to
turn on the vac when you power on a power tool through the vac.......

Does anyone know of an off the shelf plug that does the same job that I

can
hack into my aquavac to do the same thing?

Paul

I think I found what I was looking for

this -
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...6639&doy=10m5D

may do the job, Has a few more sockets than are required though

Anyone know of a different source that just has one socket?

Paul

Bob Eager

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:06:18 UTC, "Paul \( Skiing8 \)"
wrote:

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
I have an old aquavac that I use in the garage, works great but I just
descovered while reading this thread about the accessory power socket to
turn on the vac when you power on a power tool through the vac.......

Does anyone know of an off the shelf plug that does the same job that I

can
hack into my aquavac to do the same thing?

I think I found what I was looking for
this -
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...6639&doy=10m5D

may do the job, Has a few more sockets than are required though

I asked the same question a while ago, and all the proposed solutions
had an insufficient power rating. Can't see a rating on the Maplin one,
but it would be advisable to check.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

wrote:

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message
I have an old aquavac that I use in the garage, works great but I just
descovered while reading this thread about the accessory power socket

turn on the vac when you power on a power tool through the vac.......

Does anyone know of an off the shelf plug that does the same job that

can
hack into my aquavac to do the same thing?

I think I found what I was looking for
this -
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...6639&doy=10m5D

may do the job, Has a few more sockets than are required though

I asked the same question a while ago, and all the proposed solutions
had an insufficient power rating. Can't see a rating on the Maplin one,
but it would be advisable to check.

--
Bob Eager

My initial thoughts were to build one from scratch but that would probably
never happen!..... then I thought about one of these power strips, but
realising that the power might not be handled I would need to modify it....
don't really want to spend £25 and then hack it up.

Might have to resort to just putting a really big on/off switch on the vac

Paul

Paul

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:06:18 +0100, "Paul \( Skiing8 \)"
wrote:

I think I found what I was looking for

They die when you run big woodworking machines through them.

Try a radio controlled mains socket. Remote control is nearly as useful
as automatic control.
Rick

On Mon, 09 May 2005 21:44:40 +0100, Hamie
wrote:

[...]

I got a workshop cleaner from axminster, it does a reasonable job,
cost about 120 quid. Things to note are

The bag (the size of a bin liner) fills up very quickly, especilly
when I have it connected to my power wood-plane.

You need a whole host of different sized adaptors to connect to your
power tools.

I also have a wet & dry vac, which simply fills up so quick its
pointless.

Rick

Bagless vacuum cleaners Howard UK diy 48 February 25th 05 10:30 AM
vacuum cleaners.... I've gone through 3 eurekas already ! Rich Home Repair 10 February 14th 05 02:32 PM
Battery powered vacuum cleaners Paul Mc Cann UK diy 3 January 2nd 05 12:53 AM
Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 12:23 AM