Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spectacle screws: How to stop them coming lose?

What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Take them back and let the optician deal with it.

My previous pair where doing that,turns out the person who put the lenses in
had cross threaded the damn screw and it worked loose over a few days.
Had the cheek to say I done the damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

Take them back and let the optician deal with it.

My previous pair where doing that,turns out the person who put the lenses

in
had cross threaded the damn screw and it worked loose over a few days.
Had the cheek to say I done the damage.

Forgot to say...

If you really want to secure a fix? a piece of thin fusewire fitted into the
frame screwhole and then screw in the screw and cut off the excess fusewire
sticking out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. laid this down on his screen :
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

A small dab of Locktite on the thread

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

Summats wrong with them then, is the joint fully closing when you tighten
them?

As someone else said, loctite, or if you have some handy a dab of touch up
paint on the screw head with a bit of overlap should stop it turning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

You should try the pair that one of my kids has just got.

Lens fell out, screw missing, so I took the specs back to the optician
to sort. They couldn't; transpired they were "unusual" and they had to
send away for parts! Took almost a week.

Less than a week later the same thing happened again, so I took them
back to the optician again in a strop. Turns out they'd got a complete
new duplicate "unusual" pair in previously to sort us out, which meant
that they had one more screw left to fix it the second time.

On closer examination, apparently the way these work is that they have
*two* screws in either side of the lens, one male and one female - like
mini versions of those plastic paired screws which you connect adjacent
kitchen units together with. You have to hold prevent one screw from
rotating using a one slotted jeweller's screwdriver while using a second
screwdriver to turn the head of the other screw 180 degrees opposite
IYSWIM. A *lot* easier said than done, and hardly surprising it's
impossible to nip the bloody screws up tight enough to stop them working
loose. Fab design, huh?

I've told them next time it happens I shall expect a new pair of specs...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

I had that problem, too - my current ones don't have any screws!
They're flexible, lightweight titanium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar, 22:41, "Graham." wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

A blob of clear nail varnish...assuming you've got access to such
stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:46:03 GMT, George wrote:

Take them back and let the optician deal with it.

Agreed they must be new if under warranty and if there is danger of the
warranty being voided by "unauthorised repair" then it is the only option.

A proper opticians won't have a problem with this, a buy one get one free,
prescription glasses in 1 hour shop might...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Graham. wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

I had that problem, too - my current ones don't have any screws!
They're flexible, lightweight titanium.

Lindbergs then. I can't see the point TBH - yes, they last ages, but
relensing them is as expensive as a set of run of the mill frames.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "R D S" contains these words:
"Graham." wrote:

What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

Summats wrong with them then, is the joint fully closing
when you tighten them?

As someone else said, loctite, or if you have some handy
a dab of touch up paint on the screw head with a bit of
overlap should stop it turning.

Try using _both_ hands, to remove your glasses. You said it's
the RH lens that 'pops out' - chances are you're right-handed!

Seconded. Loctite and a bit of care when putting them on and taking them
off. My bird used to work repairing glasses and most frames end up knackered
because people stretch at the hinges taking them off with one hand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

I had that problem, too - my current ones don't have any screws!
They're flexible, lightweight titanium.

Lindbergs then. I can't see the point TBH - yes, they last ages, but
relensing them is as expensive as a set of run of the mill frames.

I don't see a name on them - just 'made in Austria'.
They're very lightweight, important for me due to a strong prescription,
and I _never_ have to retighten or replace scews.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Doki wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:

I had that problem, too - my current ones don't have any screws!
They're flexible, lightweight titanium.

Lindbergs then. I can't see the point TBH - yes, they last ages, but
relensing them is as expensive as a set of run of the mill frames.

I don't see a name on them - just 'made in Austria'.
They're very lightweight, important for me due to a strong
prescription, and I _never_ have to retighten or replace scews.

If you could recall or use a magnifying glass that could be helpful to me. I
use varifocal plastic and have tried several different styles of nose
bridges, I do find the experience painful and wish to minimise the load!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doki
writes

[snip]

them off. My bird used to work repairing glasses and most frames end up
knackered because people stretch at the hinges taking them off with one
hand.

I would suggest that if as you say, that taking them of with one hand is
what 'most' people do, then the frame manufacturers have failed to
provide a product which is even close to meeting 'most' of their
customer needs.

viz
Ford: Yeah we have a problem with people trying to start our cars.
Engineer: Well, thats their problem, they should know better.
/viz

I do not doubt your or your 'birds' view, and I do understand that
neither of you are the designers of such frames but I really don't
accept it is my fault. I'm right handed, it is how I was born.
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
I don't see a name on them - just 'made in Austria'.
They're very lightweight, important for me due to a strong
prescription, and I _never_ have to retighten or replace scews.

If you could recall or use a magnifying glass that could be helpful to me. I
use varifocal plastic and have tried several different styles of nose
bridges, I do find the experience painful and wish to minimise the load!

Looking at them more closely, under a magnifying glass, I see
'Silhouette' next to 'Made in Austria'.
They're completely frameless - the only metal bits are the temples and
the nose piece, which are attached directly to the lenses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

somebody wrote:
In message , Doki
writes

[snip]

them off. My bird used to work repairing glasses and most frames end
up knackered because people stretch at the hinges taking them off
with one hand.

I would suggest that if as you say, that taking them of with one hand
is what 'most' people do, then the frame manufacturers have failed to
provide a product which is even close to meeting 'most' of their
customer needs.

viz
Ford: Yeah we have a problem with people trying to start our cars.
Engineer: Well, thats their problem, they should know better.
/viz

I do not doubt your or your 'birds' view, and I do understand that
neither of you are the designers of such frames but I really don't
accept it is my fault. I'm right handed, it is how I was born.

Most people also replace their frames every time their prescription changes.
Sprung hinges go some way towards reducing the problem, but eventually play
develops in the sprung part of the hinge. The only other option is to make
the glasses so rigid that people can't take them off by stretching them
around their head, and I doubt people would buy glasses that heavy or bulky.

IMO it's more akin to getting in and out of your car via the windows and
then complaining that the doors all scratched. It is something that should
be mentioned when people buy glasses or bring them in for repair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember somebody
saying something like:

viz
Ford: Yeah we have a problem with people trying to start our cars.
Engineer: Well, thats their problem, they should know better.
/viz

I don't recall that being in Viz. Not very funny.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Clot wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
I don't see a name on them - just 'made in Austria'.
They're very lightweight, important for me due to a strong
prescription, and I _never_ have to retighten or replace scews.

If you could recall or use a magnifying glass that could be helpful
to me. I use varifocal plastic and have tried several different
styles of nose bridges, I do find the experience painful and wish to
minimise the load!

Looking at them more closely, under a magnifying glass, I see
'Silhouette' next to 'Made in Austria'.
They're completely frameless - the only metal bits are the temples and
the nose piece, which are attached directly to the lenses.

Thanks for that. It'll help me when on the lookout for the next set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

And why can we not - since deregulation or whatever it was - now buy
frames that are made to fit our heads/ears/noses, i.e. with arms etc of
different sizes. My limited experience of buying glasses, having had
the same pair for over 10 years, is that one must hunt the shelves to
find a pair that fits rather than choosing a pair that one likes and
having them made to fit.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Graham. wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

And why can we not - since deregulation or whatever it was - now buy
frames that are made to fit our heads/ears/noses, i.e. with arms etc
of different sizes. My limited experience of buying glasses, having
had the same pair for over 10 years, is that one must hunt the
shelves to find a pair that fits rather than choosing a pair that one
likes and having them made to fit.

How I agree. The frustration I have in finding a comfortable pair at about
£350 a throw! However, I suspect that what we are wanting will provide
another opportunity for "New Designer fitted wonder Specs."

"I'm pleased that you find these comfortable. Our suppliers have gone to
get lengths to make these."

"That will be £450. Thank you, sir." !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 23:25:30 +0000, Richard wrote:

My limited experience of buying glasses, having had the same pair for
over 10 years, is that one must hunt the shelves to find a pair that
fits rather than choosing a pair that one likes and having them made to
fit.

Having the frames made to fit with regards lens spacing and arm length is
important to the correct functioning of the glasses. You need to naturally
look through the right part of the lens, even for simple prescriptions let
alone anything vari/bi focal or with astigmatism correction.

Proper fit and frame size is what a proper optician(*) will do but you
can't walk into a proper optician have a sight test wait 30 mins and walk
out with a new pair of glasses... The optician I use fits the frames to my
head properly

(*) There are specific names for "opticians" depending on their
qualifications. They messed with them a number of years back I think the
one you really need is an "ophthalmologist" rather than an "optician" or
"dispensing optician".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clot" wrote in message
S Viemeister wrote:
Clot wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
I don't see a name on them - just 'made in Austria'.
They're very lightweight, important for me due to a strong
prescription, and I _never_ have to retighten or replace scews.

If you could recall or use a magnifying glass that could be helpful
to me. I use varifocal plastic and have tried several different
styles of nose bridges, I do find the experience painful and wish to
minimise the load!

Looking at them more closely, under a magnifying glass, I see
'Silhouette' next to 'Made in Austria'.
They're completely frameless - the only metal bits are the temples and
the nose piece, which are attached directly to the lenses.

Thanks for that. It'll help me when on the lookout for the next set.

Silhouette are very good.

if you want to look at some alernatives before paying Silhouette prices
type:

lightweight hingeless screwless rimless

into Google and have a shop around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:
What's the best way of locking them in that won't invalidate
your guarantee from the optician?
Why don't they do this for us?
If I don't tighten the screws on my varifocals on a
weekly basis the RH lens drops out!

And why can we not - since deregulation or whatever it was - now buy
frames that are made to fit our heads/ears/noses, i.e. with arms etc of
different sizes. My limited experience of buying glasses, having had
the same pair for over 10 years, is that one must hunt the shelves to
find a pair that fits rather than choosing a pair that one likes and
having them made to fit.

Because the price of glasses was apparently a rip off.

But Doug and Mary Perkins fixed it for you by being the largest driving
factor behind deregulation and bringing you Specsavers.

Now they live in the Channel Islands with hundreds of millions of pounds and
you have made in China, one size fits all spectacle solutions.

Everyones a winner, eh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Because the price of glasses was apparently a rip off.

But Doug and Mary Perkins fixed it for you by being the largest driving
factor behind deregulation and bringing you Specsavers.

Now they live in the Channel Islands with hundreds of millions of pounds and
you have made in China, one size fits all spectacle solutions.

Everyones a winner, eh?

Should that not say 'one size fits none'?

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Having the frames made to fit with regards lens spacing and arm length is
important to the correct functioning of the glasses. You need to naturally
look through the right part of the lens, even for simple prescriptions let
alone anything vari/bi focal or with astigmatism correction.

Proper fit and frame size is what a proper optician(*) will do but you
can't walk into a proper optician have a sight test wait 30 mins and walk
out with a new pair of glasses... The optician I use fits the frames to my
head properly

(*) There are specific names for "opticians" depending on their
qualifications. They messed with them a number of years back I think the
one you really need is an "ophthalmologist" rather than an "optician" or
"dispensing optician".

But, the frames are still sold without any opportunity for variation of
lens spacing, arm length etc, i.e. there is one D+G or Polo or no-name
special frame and if you don't fit it - tough. IIRC the sprung arm was
introduced to overcome the problem of non-fitted glasses sliding down
ones nose by gripping the wearer around the temples in a migraine
inducing grip. My father has some pre-deregulation (or whatever it was
called) half moon glasses which he uses for very close-up work. They
stay on his head without any effort nor do they require pushing up his
nose periodically. Compare this with his current varifocals which
require constant adjustment and have arms which are too long.

My left ear is slightly further forward than my right ear but there was
no suggestion that the arms of my glasses (purchased 9 years ago) could
be adjusted to match my head.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) There are specific names for "opticians" depending on their
qualifications. They messed with them a number of years back I think the
one you really need is an "ophthalmologist" rather than an "optician" or
"dispensing optician".

No, it's an optician... an ophthalmolgist is a qualified doctor of
medicine who's gone on to specialise in eyes: you don't get many of
those guys on the high street peddling specs!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Lobster wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) There are specific names for "opticians" depending on their
qualifications. They messed with them a number of years back I think
the one you really need is an "ophthalmologist" rather than an
"optician" or "dispensing optician".

No, it's an optician... an ophthalmolgist is a qualified doctor of
medicine who's gone on to specialise in eyes: you don't get many of
those guys on the high street peddling specs!

Optometrist is, IIRC, a person qualified to measure and flog.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:00:12 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) There are specific names for "opticians" depending on their
qualifications. They messed with them a number of years back I think the
one you really need is an "ophthalmologist" rather than an "optician" or
"dispensing optician".

No, it's an optician... an ophthalmolgist is a qualified doctor of
medicine who's gone on to specialise in eyes: you don't get many of
those guys on the high street peddling specs!

The two terms are, AFAIK:

Ophthalmic optician
Dispensing optician

And then the ophthalmologist in the hospital.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar 2008 23:15:27 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

The two terms are, AFAIK:

Ophthalmic optician
Dispensing optician

Optimetrist is the name these days and the one you want on the High St,
one step below an Opthalmologist. A Dispensing Optician can't do eye tests
but can fit and advise etc.

And then the ophthalmologist in the hospital.

Aye, as I said they messed about with the names years back and I haven't
caught up properly.

http://www.optical.org/en/our_work/E...istration_home
..cfm

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 6 Mar 2008 23:15:27 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

The two terms are, AFAIK:

Ophthalmic optician
Dispensing optician

Optimetrist is the name these days and the one you want on the High St,

Optometrist, even.

Sorry ;-)
David