Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mosquito under-25 repellant device

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of repellng
teenagers is just too good to be true

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ALex wrote:
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Unless, of course, you happen to have spawned a few yourself, or a few
innocent ones are walking by.

It'd be particularly cool to get a portable one, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Flibble" wrote in message

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

There has been talk of banning their use. However, in some shopping areas,
playing classical music has been found to be as effective.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ALex
writes
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Doesn't just repel teenagers though. Repels all people with young
hearing including toddlers & babes in arms.

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mr Flibble
scribeth thus

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

Seem to work quite well judging by the "'uman rights" issues being
raised. Their on the Menvier security website..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:27:52 +0000, Mr Flibble
wrote:

ALex wrote:
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Unless, of course, you happen to have spawned a few yourself, or a few
innocent ones are walking by.

It'd be particularly cool to get a portable one, though.

You could try Des O'Conner instead blasting out.
Someone I spoke to reckoned that very fresh horse muck along the hedge
side they hang about on would work.
Put brambles and other prickles in your hedges if they sit in them for
fun.

The mosquitoes that "infringe youths civil liberties" aren't on all
the time. They get put on for 20 mins max when there's a problem.

They were saying about integrating youths into society -
Well the rest of society manages to sit and read or watch tv or go
and do some sport and doesn't feel the need to hang round on the
streets.
We don't need to provide constant entertainment for young people. They
need to be parented and taught that sometimes you have to find quiet
things to do, on a zero budget without annoying people.
Otherwise I suspect we will have hoardes of adults roaming the streets
in drunken rages in search of their next blast of entertainment
because that's what they've been led to expect.

Why don't we have a curfew so that youths aren't allowed out in the
evenings without a parent with them. Then parents would be forced to
take some responsibility for their kids and not leave them out on the
street that they seem to think is some sort of youth centre.
There's got to be a reality TV program in it - "My kids don't do that"
where they secretly film yobs and show the footage to the parents
after.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Flibble wrote in

ALex wrote:
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Unless, of course, you happen to have spawned a few yourself, or a few
innocent ones are walking by.

"Innocent teenagers"?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:50:35 +0000
Mr Flibble wrote:

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

Pyracanthus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Mr Flibble" wrote in message
Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

There has been talk of banning their use. However, in some shopping areas,
playing classical music has been found to be as effective.

Colin,

Unfortunately, some people suffer from hyperacusis which can result in
even otherwise-pleasant classical music driving us out of the shopping
areas - not just the hoods!

(Mind, most non-classical music, announcements, reversing beepers, etc.
are all far worse. :-))

Quick summary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis
--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Flibble wrote:
ALex wrote:
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Unless, of course, you happen to have spawned a few yourself,

Hmmm.

s/unless/especially/

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 10:50, Mr Flibble wrote:
Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

If they do get banned what about using sonic cannon as employed to
repel pirates in the Indian Ocean
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Flibble wrote:
Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or
had any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

Have a look here for some info - it may be of some use (not a lot but some:
:-)

http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html#1X0

Best yob repelent though would be to lock up all the do-gooders and revert
back to the old fashioned discipline that parents, school teachers, police
and neighbours used to be able to instill without fear of recrimination.

And I'm *NOT* advocating pure physical abuse that leaves huge welts, bruises
etc, or the young child a physical or mental wreck -- before the aforsaid
do-gooders throw their inane comments about how children should be left to
run riot because giving them a well deserved clip on their bums or legs
degrades *their* human rights!!

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ALex" wrote in message
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

It is.. babies can hear it just as well as teenagers.
If you start waking your neighbours babies at night and they find out its
you you can expect some grief.

Also isn't it illegal to torture babies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar.me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Mr Flibble" wrote in message

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

There has been talk of banning their use. However, in some shopping areas,
playing classical music has been found to be as effective.

And doesn't cause problems with babies or animals either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
Mr Flibble wrote in

ALex wrote:
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Unless, of course, you happen to have spawned a few yourself, or a few
innocent ones are walking by.

"Innocent teenagers"?

That are the ones that have a mosquito ring tone on the phones so the
teacher cannot hear it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Mr Flibble" wrote in message
Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

There has been talk of banning their use. However, in some shopping
areas, playing classical music has been found to be as effective.

Colin,

Unfortunately, some people suffer from hyperacusis which can result in
even otherwise-pleasant classical music driving us out of the shopping
areas - not just the hoods!

(Mind, most non-classical music, announcements, reversing beepers, etc.
are all far worse. :-))

Quick summary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis

I have the opposite problem - a reduction in hearing at mid-range
frequencies. However, wandering around Troyes at Christmas, I found the
constant music simply annoying.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

I have the opposite problem - a reduction in hearing at mid-range
frequencies. However, wandering around Troyes at Christmas, I found the
constant music simply annoying.

Colin Bignell

No idea what Troyes is but if I hear any 'music' coming from anwhere in a
public place (except live Christms music at Christmas) I simply avoid the
place.

Even worse, though, is radio being played in shops. It can't be listened to
by staff if they're working so why have it? I know you probably don't know

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:19:59 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message
m...

I have the opposite problem - a reduction in hearing at mid-range
frequencies. However, wandering around Troyes at Christmas, I found the
constant music simply annoying.

Colin Bignell

No idea what Troyes is but if I hear any 'music' coming from anwhere in a
public place (except live Christms music at Christmas) I simply avoid the
place.

Snip

A rather nice town in France - but I guess more spoiled since I
visited. Benneton had just arrived....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 16:22:57 +0000, Emil Tiades said:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:55:14 -0000, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

I have the opposite problem - a reduction in hearing at mid-range
frequencies. However, wandering around Troyes at Christmas, I found the
constant music simply annoying.

My hearing is fine, but I cannot enter shoeshops and clothes stores
where rap noise is being "played".

I'm glad that you used the word NOISE to describe this pollution.

OTOH, I'm not sure that I would want to enter such stores anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:
Mr Flibble wrote:
[...]

I was working in a pre schol play group a while ago, not term time so no
kids there. Having a bit of a laugh with the two girls who owned it. I
asked them where the 'naughty chair' was.

Apparently they would loose their council license if they had a naughty
chair or anything similar. It lowers the little buggers self esteem
apparently.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Emil Tiades says...

My hearing is fine, but I cannot enter shoeshops and clothes stores
where rap noise is being "played".

I've gone into some clothes and shoe stores with a definite
purchase planned but walked out due to such music. It isn't
even as if the stores target customers were young rappers,
more your middle aged tight wad. I can't think with that
noise grating in my head.

I thought large shops chains were supposed to be experts on
"mood music" to encourage shoppers to feel relaxed and
wanting to buy.

Instead some stores seem to be experts at driving customers
away.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

I have the opposite problem - a reduction in hearing at mid-range
frequencies. However, wandering around Troyes at Christmas, I found the
constant music simply annoying.

Colin Bignell

No idea what Troyes is but if I hear any 'music' coming from anwhere in a
public place (except live Christms music at Christmas) I simply avoid the
place.

A town in France, which gave its name to the Troy weight system used to
weigh precious metals. It still has a lot of medieval buildings and a
town-run public address system that plays music between occasional
announcments / adverts. The speakers are everywhere, so the only way to
avoid them is not to go anywhere near the town centre at all.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"ALex" wrote in message
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

It is.. babies can hear it just as well as teenagers.
If you start waking your neighbours babies at night and they find out
its you you can expect some grief.

Also isn't it illegal to torture babies?

See post about Des O'Connor ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
BRG wrote:
Mr Flibble wrote:
[...]

And that's where this country is going wrong. A little loss of self esteem
at that age does far more good than harm - and it teaches respect.

As they used to say "spare the rod and spoil the child" - how right they
were!

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

My hearing is fine, but I cannot enter shoeshops and clothes stores
where rap noise is being "played".

I'm glad that you used the word NOISE to describe this pollution.

OTOH, I'm not sure that I would want to enter such stores anyway.

It's an oldie filter and it works, obviously.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 21:06:50 +0000, "BRG" said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
BRG wrote:
Mr Flibble wrote:
[...]

Needs this, I'd say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-2TAfM3Fg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 21:21:38 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

My hearing is fine, but I cannot enter shoeshops and clothes stores
where rap noise is being "played".

I'm glad that you used the word NOISE to describe this pollution.

OTOH, I'm not sure that I would want to enter such stores anyway.

It's an oldie filter and it works, obviously.

I don't mind being filtered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:10:51 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

Emil Tiades says...

My hearing is fine, but I cannot enter shoeshops and clothes stores
where rap noise is being "played".

I've gone into some clothes and shoe stores with a definite
purchase planned but walked out due to such music. It isn't

But unless you tell them they really don't learn.

even as if the stores target customers were young rappers,
more your middle aged tight wad. I can't think with that
noise grating in my head.

I thought large shops chains were supposed to be experts on
"mood music" to encourage shoppers to feel relaxed and
wanting to buy.

Instead some stores seem to be experts at driving customers
away.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

Bloody expensive to purchase outright though
http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html#1X0

That page doesn't load for me. Either that or I'm too impatient

http://themidgeatershop.shopkit.net/
£499.00 (Inc. Vat)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:

Otherwise I suspect we will have hoardes of adults roaming the streets
in drunken rages in search of their next blast of entertainment
because that's what they've been led to expect.

Um. We do, don't we?

There's got to be a reality TV program in it - "My kids don't do that"
where they secretly film yobs and show the footage to the parents
after.

I've got a DVD of Public Information Films, mostly from the 70s. One of
them, about vandalism, was very much along those lines.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Apparently they would loose their council license if they had a naughty
chair or anything similar. It lowers the little buggers self esteem
apparently.

Isn't that rather the point?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or had
any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?

Bloody expensive to purchase outright though
http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html#1X0

That page doesn't load for me. Either that or I'm too impatient

http://themidgeatershop.shopkit.net/
£499.00 (Inc. Vat)

:O

All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes

wrote:

Bit of bother with some of the local teenage hoods, and considering
installing one of these outside the house. Has anyone tried them, or
had any success with them ? What sort of range do they have ?
Bloody expensive to purchase outright though
http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html#1X0

That page doesn't load for me. Either that or I'm too impatient
http://themidgeatershop.shopkit.net/
£499.00 (Inc. Vat)

:O

All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!

From the "this is what you old farts would hear" articles, it's more
like beats - so you would need two oscillators, somewhat higher than 20k
of course

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 21:06:50 +0000, "BRG" said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
BRG wrote:
Mr Flibble wrote:
[...]

Andy,

I like it, and I quite agree with the headmaster - I wouldn't cancel school
to bury the little "****" either! :-)

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Emil Tiades
writes
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:34:24 GMT, geoff wrote:

All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!

From the "this is what you old farts would hear" articles, it's more
like beats - so you would need two oscillators, somewhat higher than 20k
of course

You would also need a teenager in a cage for tests

Prolly quite simple to trap a couple

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Emil Tiades" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:34:24 GMT, geoff wrote:

All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!

From the "this is what you old farts would hear" articles, it's more
like beats - so you would need two oscillators, somewhat higher than 20k
of course

You would also need a teenager in a cage for tests

Why a cage?
Why not just a random passer by?

Anyway these things don't work against the trouble makers just the ones that
hang around the shops.
The trouble makers will just destroy the device and probably torch the shop.
It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember that the
next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:38:35 +0000, Emil Tiades
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:34:24 GMT, geoff wrote:

All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!

From the "this is what you old farts would hear" articles, it's more
like beats - so you would need two oscillators, somewhat higher than 20k
of course

You would also need a teenager in a cage for tests

The best place for 'em.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:

Best yob repelent though would be to lock up all the do-gooders and revert
back to the old fashioned discipline that parents, school teachers, police
and neighbours used to be able to instill without fear of recrimination.

In this case we're talking, largely, about parents who do not know, or
do not care, what their kids are doing. The first problem is easier to
fix; the police need to catch a few of them and take them home, and
their parents will sort them out. The second problem is harder, because
the parents do not give a ****; in fact they're giving the kids a tenner
for drink to get them out of the house. In which case there is, of
course, an argument to get the kids taken into care.

And yes, innocent teenagers and small babies do come past the house, so
I would not want a device blaring away all the time, only when there is
a problem. Actually I think the majority of people (overall) in this age
group are generally decent, however peer pressure is a big deal. In a
group of 20 misbehaving 14 year olds, you'll find that there's one or
two bad eggs (who love trouble and don't care about the cops or anything
else, and do it for the attention and "respect" they get), and the rest
of them all feel that they can carry on the same way when they're there.
As soon as they are shown that they are in the wrong, perhaps by being
taken home to their parents, or spending a few hours in a cell, they'll
soon stop.

To me the big problem is the police. Not necessarily the officers
themselves, but the circumstances they have to work in. They're
reluctant to move in and start lifting people when there's trouble,
preferring a weird policy of trying to win hearts and minds instead. I
would not mind this if it actually worked. Then you've paper work,
police resources, and time and so on. I reckon that a lot of the cops
start out wanting to take action, but find themselves slowed down or
frustrated by the legal system they're operating within.

And I'm *NOT* advocating pure physical abuse that leaves huge welts, bruises
etc, or the young child a physical or mental wreck -- before the aforsaid
do-gooders throw their inane comments about how children should be left to
run riot because giving them a well deserved clip on their bums or legs
degrades *their* human rights!!

I am inclined to agree with this to an extent. I don't think physical
violence is necessary, but the point needs to get across that what
they're doing is wrong and won't be tolerated. I'm sure that if parents
were held legally liable for problems caused by their kids, to the point
of punitive fines being levied, you'd start getting somewhere.

It seems to me - perhaps I'm completely wrong - that we only have this
sort of chav culture in the UK and Ireland. I have never seen or heard
anything equivalent to it elsewhere in Europe. Am I wrong - is this a
general problem everywhere, or something specific to here ?