Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mosquito under-25 repellant device

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:59:10 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember that the
next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you know.

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember that the
next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you know.

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

only "with intent"

so, unless you are out camping (fnarr fnarr) it's not a problem

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

who says that ?

never heard that one

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:55:52 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember that the
next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you know.

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

only "with intent"

so, unless you are out camping (fnarr fnarr) it's not a problem

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

who says that ?

never heard that one

Because minors can't legally make contracts.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Emil Tiades" wrote in message

wrote:

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

who says that ?

never heard that one

Because minors can't legally make contracts.

Plenty of minors buying magazines, sweets etc at my newsagent this
morning.
Shall I call the sweeney?

You better had all those minors stealing goods and the shop keepers
extorting cash from minors.. it needs to be stamped out now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember
that the next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you
know.

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

Define *loitering* as that can also apply to old farts like me who could
stand and gossip on the public highway all damn day!

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

Under the law minors *CAN* make purchases *AND* contracts for *NECESSARIES*.

Necessaries are described under the Sales of Goods Act, 1893 as Food,
Clothing, Medical Attention and Educational Books.

Hence they have every right to frequent shops for purchases, but not for the
minority to hang around and create a damn nuisance of themselves!

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Emil Tiades wrote:

Of course, if a member of the public was to clout one of the little
turds, the police would appear within seconds and charge him with
assault, with plenty of do-gooders being witnesses for the
prosecution.

I went to the police recently to report some problems, and the police
said that without being able to formally identify the offenders there
was little I could do. I said, OK then, I'll photograph them with my
mobile phone. They told me not to do this as in principle it could leave
me open to being prosecuted for being in possession of photographs of
minors.

It just seems like you can't win.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember
that the next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you
know.

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

Define *loitering* as that can also apply to old farts like me who could
stand and gossip on the public highway all damn day!

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

Under the law minors *CAN* make purchases *AND* contracts for
*NECESSARIES*.

Necessaries are described under the Sales of Goods Act, 1893 as Food,
Clothing, Medical Attention and Educational Books.

Hence they have every right to frequent shops for purchases, but not for
the minority to hang around and create a damn nuisance of themselves!

There are enough adults that hang around being a real pain, they hang about
pub doors, entrances to offices, and shops, all over the place and they
usually litter too. I wonder why its OK for them but not for kids?
If someone comes up with a way to shift them things will be much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of punitive
legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We could shift them into
designated smoking areas.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I quite agree - but it's usually the youngsters that are more boisterous and
appear to be more intimidating than their elders - especially when they are
intxicated or just out for trouble in gangs.

If someone comes up with a way to shift them things will be much
better.

According to my son, America (which he treats as his second home due to work
commitments there) and New York particularly, have laws preventing smokers
etc from congregating within 20 feet or so of any public access doorway - if
they applied that law here, then that would resolve the problem.

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

TMH,

Don't get me - a avid (or eveb rabid) non-smoker - onto that subject!
Besides, that's going even further Off Topic on this posting :-)

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:09:10 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of punitive
legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We could shift them into
designated smoking areas.

But they _don't_ - there are loads of smoking shelters outside
supermarkets et.al., but smokers don't use them. They'd rather stand
in the shop doorway polluting the atmosphere.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of
punitive legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We
could shift them into designated smoking areas.

But they _don't_ - there are loads of smoking shelters outside
supermarkets et.al., but smokers don't use them. They'd rather stand
in the shop doorway polluting the atmosphere.

Smoking shelters? Are you having a laugh? The only ones I've seen are at
the back of pubs. Supermarkets? Where?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of
punitive legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We
could shift them into designated smoking areas.

But they _don't_ - there are loads of smoking shelters outside
supermarkets et.al., but smokers don't use them. They'd rather stand
in the shop doorway polluting the atmosphere.

Smoking shelters? Are you having a laugh? The only ones I've seen are at
the back of pubs. Supermarkets? Where?

At the far end of Morrisons near Jewsons. Small shelter attached to
wall. "Ashtray" device attached to wall. Smell permeating all around :-)

(I think that this is mainly intended for staff. Customers congregate
around the trolleys and cash machines at the main door.)
--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It wouldn't resolve the 'problem' - a non exxistant problem anyway, it
would just make non-smokers enjoy their Schadenfreude even more, evil little
*******s that they are.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
BRG wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That should have read;
anti smoking fascists enjoy their Schadenfreude even more, evil little
*******s that they are.

No offence to any normal non smokers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of
punitive legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We
could shift them into designated smoking areas.

But they _don't_ - there are loads of smoking shelters outside
supermarkets et.al., but smokers don't use them. They'd rather stand
in the shop doorway polluting the atmosphere.

Smoking shelters? Are you having a laugh? The only ones I've seen are at
the back of pubs. Supermarkets? Where?

All over the place - apart from where the smokers congregate.

A few years ago the local large general hospital provided
'bus-shelter' type smoking shelters, which nobody used (apart from
normal people using them in the rain to wait for taxis etc). They were
dismantled a year or two ago when smoking was 'banned' in the grounds
altogether. Now even patients in wheelchairs, carrying dripfeed stands
or whatever they're called, just gather anywhere to feed their smoking
habits and give you a two-fingered wave if you so much as look at them
if you're visiting someone.

It's a waste of time complaining to the hospital authorities - a lot
of the offenders are security staff (and even 'health professionals'
(whatever that's supposed to mean)).

Unfortunately most hospitals seem to have large concrete canopies over
their major portals, providing ideal spots for smokers.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
BRG wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I take then that you are a smoker?

If you are, and I ever have to stand near you and are forced to inhale your
waste smoke, then I shall endevour to stand above you (by whatever means)
and empty the waste from my bladder over your head.

I get your waste, you get mine - a fair deal I think - and I'm being polite
here to someone who thinks that they have the right to force their obnoxious
habit on all and sundry from babies to grandparents without any objections!

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:

Under the law minors *CAN* make purchases *AND* contracts for *NECESSARIES*.

Necessaries are described under the Sales of Goods Act, 1893 as Food,
Clothing, Medical Attention and Educational Books.

Yup, the government of the day saw no real need for kids to spend pocket
money on toys, gramophone records and comics...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Neil Barker
writes
In article ,
says...

They told me not to do this as in principle it could leave
me open to being prosecuted for being in possession of photographs of
minors.

So what strange new law does that come from then ????

I was threatened with something similar by pikey ex(hooray!) neighbours
when videoing their kids who I suspected had been damaging our cars. All
that happened was a PC came round and warned the kids. He told us not to
be concerned about such nonsense.

--
Si

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadworth wrote:
That are the ones that have a mosquito ring tone on the phones so the
teacher cannot hear it.

I've heard this one and have my doubts that a phone speaker has either the
frequency response or power to reproduce this properly.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it ok if I **** over your car or central heating boiler? Etc?

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:40:43 +0000, Si $3o&m wrote:

In message , ALex
writes
Personnally i would have every home fitted with one,the thought of
repellng teenagers is just too good to be true

Doesn't just repel teenagers though. Repels all people with young
hearing including toddlers & babes in arms.

Indeed and people's high frequency hearing various enormously. I know
I could hear very high frequencies well into my twenties (I don't know
about now though).

M.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
BRG wrote:
I take then that you are a smoker?

If you are, and I ever have to stand near you and are forced to inhale
your waste smoke, then I shall endevour to stand above you (by whatever
means) and empty the waste from my bladder over your head.

I get your waste, you get mine - a fair deal I think - and I'm being
polite here to someone who thinks that they have the right to force
their obnoxious habit on all and sundry from babies to grandparents
without any objections!

Is it ok if I **** over your car or central heating boiler? Etc?

Most CH boilers put out the same as you do when you breath.
The same is largely true of a car with a cat.
You will have to expand etc before it can be shot down too.
Better avoid ****ing on things just because they produce the same byproducts
as you. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:51:13 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message , Emil Tiades
writes
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:34:24 GMT, geoff wrote:

All you need is a tweeter and a 20KHz oscillator!

From the "this is what you old farts would hear" articles, it's more
like beats - so you would need two oscillators, somewhat higher than 20k
of course

You would also need a teenager in a cage for tests

Prolly quite simple to trap a couple

Some of us have a tame one we could hire out.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It isn't an offence to hang about, if you think it is just remember that the
next time you stop in the street to talk to someone you know.

Actually I think it IS an offence to loiter.

Legally minors can't make purchases anyway, so they have no valid
reason to hang around shops.

I've seen some on TV saying "we're just hanging about. We're doing no
harm. We've got no where else to go."

Why don't they stay in? Go to a friends? If there's too many of them
to sit in one bedroom then there are too many of them for hanging
about on a street corner.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:00:59 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Smoking shelters? Are you having a laugh? The only ones I've seen are at
the back of pubs. Supermarkets? Where?

At the far end of Morrisons near Jewsons. Small shelter attached to
wall. "Ashtray" device attached to wall. Smell permeating all around :-)

(I think that this is mainly intended for staff. Customers congregate
around the trolleys and cash machines at the main door.)

Morrisons had one near the bit where he cash goes out but they moved
it because the yooffs were using it to swing on. And staff were
moaning that it took them 10 minutes to walk round from the staff exit
to have a cig.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
BRG wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It wouldn't resolve the 'problem' - a non existent problem anyway,
it would just make non-smokers enjoy their Schadenfreude even more,
evil little *******s that they are.

That should have read;
anti smoking fascists enjoy their Schadenfreude even more, evil
little *******s that they are.

No offence to any normal non smokers.

TMH,

I take then that you are a smoker?

Dead sharp you non smokers, nothing slips past you :-)

If you are, and I ever have to stand near you and are forced to
inhale your waste smoke, then I shall endevour to stand above you (by
whatever means) and empty the waste from my bladder over your head.

Calm down dear. Nobody is suggesting that we exchange waste products are
they? We could easily have smoking & non smoking venues - then I wouldn't
bother you and you wouldn't bother me.

If you want venues where you can urinate on people, I'm happy with that. I
will simply choose not to visit them. I don't like Tory MP's anyway.

I get your waste, you get mine - a fair deal I think - and I'm being
polite here to someone who thinks that they have the right to force
their obnoxious habit on all and sundry from babies to grandparents
without any objections!

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my cigarette smoke
with anyone apart from other smokers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my cigarette
smoke with anyone apart from other smokers.

I am happy to find a smoker that agrees it is wrong to smoke anywhere the
public has access to or where there are any children like streets, shops,
houses, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my cigarette
smoke with anyone apart from other smokers.

I am happy to find a smoker that agrees it is wrong to smoke anywhere
the public has access to or where there are any children like
streets, shops, houses, etc.

"anywhere the public has access to". Would that be the smoking public or
the non smoking public? 25% of the UK population enjoy a perfectly legal
activity.

Think about it. If we had reasonable legislation instead of punitive
legislation, we could have specific smoking & non smoking venues. Therefore
25% of the public could smoke in areas that 25% of the population has access
to.

"streets"? Are you seriously suggesting second hand smoke is a problem in
the open air? Or are smokers responsible for global warming?

I see your train of thought. You are suggesting that second hand smoke in
the open air is a serious threat to the health of small children & possibly
fluffy bunnies.

At what range? Can smokers injure the health of small children & fluffy
bunnies at 10 yards? 100yards? A mile?

"shops"? Shops are perfectly entitled to apply smoking bans if they want
to. Who smokes in shops anyway?

"houses"? Surely people can do what they like in their own houses? Or
would you like to outlaw that as well?

Fascist.

When they came for the Jews and the blacks, I turned away
When they came for the writers and the thinkers and the radicals and the
protesters, I turned away
When they came for the gays, and the minorities, and the utopians, and the
dancers, I turned away
And when they came for me, I turned around and around, and there was nobody
left...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:03:18 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my cigarette
smoke with anyone apart from other smokers.

I am happy to find a smoker that agrees it is wrong to smoke anywhere
the public has access to or where there are any children like
streets, shops, houses, etc.

"anywhere the public has access to". Would that be the smoking public or
the non smoking public? 25% of the UK population enjoy a perfectly legal
activity.

Think about it. If we had reasonable legislation instead of punitive
legislation, we could have specific smoking & non smoking venues. Therefore
25% of the public could smoke in areas that 25% of the population has access
to.

Ok - so public footpaths should be divided 3:1 for non-smokers/smokers
then? And supermarket carparks? Even roads, because smoker-type
drivers flick their ash straight out of the window, and then similarly
jettison their glowing cigarette-end.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my cigarette
smoke with anyone apart from other smokers.

I am happy to find a smoker that agrees it is wrong to smoke anywhere
the public has access to or where there are any children like
streets, shops, houses, etc.

"anywhere the public has access to". Would that be the smoking public or
the non smoking public? 25% of the UK population enjoy a perfectly legal
activity.

That would be the public. You said you didn't want to share your pollution
with others.. changed your mind now?
Typical self centered smoker.. "I'm alright, sod everyone else".

Think about it. If we had reasonable legislation instead of punitive
legislation, we could have specific smoking & non smoking venues.
Therefore 25% of the public could smoke in areas that 25% of the
population has access to.

Think about it.. any excuse to inflict your habit on others.. not a bit like
you were claiming a post or two ago.

"streets"? Are you seriously suggesting second hand smoke is a problem in
the open air? Or are smokers responsible for global warming?

Yes smoking on streets does inflict your **** on others or are you a blind
handyman?

I see your train of thought. You are suggesting that second hand smoke in
the open air is a serious threat to the health of small children &
possibly fluffy bunnies.

It stinks.. that is enough without its health effects.

At what range? Can smokers injure the health of small children & fluffy
bunnies at 10 yards? 100yards? A mile?

Do I care, its a public space are you suggesting we reserve some of it for
smokers to practice their drug taking in? And put a 100m exclusion zone
around it too. Funny enough that's what smoking shelters are but do smokers
use them.. no its to far to walk 20 feet from the door. Do smokers walk
about polluting everywhere they walk.. you bet they do.

"shops"? Shops are perfectly entitled to apply smoking bans if they want
to. Who smokes in shops anyway?

Smokers! You can't blame nonsmokers for it no matter how hard you try.

"houses"? Surely people can do what they like in their own houses? Or
would you like to outlaw that as well?

Only in the presence of kids or objectors.

Fascist.

It would be you that wants to inflict your problem on others.

When they came for the Jews and the blacks, I turned away
When they came for the writers and the thinkers and the radicals and the
protesters, I turned away
When they came for the gays, and the minorities, and the utopians, and the
dancers, I turned away
And when they came for me, I turned around and around, and there was
nobody left...

In the case of smokers I am the one that is coming for you and I would be
happy to find nobody left.

Now we now that none of what you said about being reasonable was true and
that you are quite happy, no want the right, to inflict your habit on
others.

You may now resort to the insults smokers use when they know they have lost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Its a waste of time you can't reason with a drug addict.
They know its bad for them, they know its bad for everyone else, they even
know that they don't get the high they got when they first started but they
will rationalise it in their minds and carry on. Throw in their inability to
go through the low caused by not smoking and what hope do they have. They
have lost but just can't accept they are weak and pretend they are doing it
out of personal choice. That is why many ex-smokers are so unsympathetic,
they see the losers for what they were and despise them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

That is why many ex-smokers are so unsympathetic, they see the losers
for what they were and despise them.

Naaah, I don't despise them I just can't stand being near the stench and
am horrified that I used to smell like that & wonder how other people
could have put up with being near me.

--
Si

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
That is why many ex-smokers are so unsympathetic,
they see the losers for what they were and despise them.

Not so - they catch a whiff and want to smoke again. It's one of the most
addictive drugs around and unlike many you never loose the desire for it.
Ever.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
That are the ones that have a mosquito ring tone on the phones so the
teacher cannot hear it.

I've heard this one and have my doubts that a phone speaker has either the
frequency response or power to reproduce this properly.

We were thinking that at work. Still, you cannot stop made up stories from
doing the rounds.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. You wouldn't be an ex smoker by any chance would you?

I reckon ex smokers are unsympathetic cos th
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..

Please don't assume what I think. I don't wish to share my
cigarette smoke with anyone apart from other smokers.

I am happy to find a smoker that agrees it is wrong to smoke
anywhere the public has access to or where there are any children
like streets, shops, houses, etc.

"anywhere the public has access to". Would that be the smoking
public or the non smoking public? 25% of the UK population enjoy a
perfectly legal activity.

That would be the public. You said you didn't want to share your
pollution with others.. changed your mind now?
Typical self centered smoker.. "I'm alright, sod everyone else".

Can I get a pint of whatever you are drinking? All I'm saying is that
smokers should have the right to have smoking venues.

Think about it. If we had reasonable legislation instead of punitive
legislation, we could have specific smoking & non smoking venues.
Therefore 25% of the public could smoke in areas that 25% of the
population has access to.

Think about it.. any excuse to inflict your habit on others.. not a
bit like you were claiming a post or two ago.

FFS read the above paragraph again. I'll type this slowly so you
understand.

We could have 'non-smoking' venues. That means nobody would be allowed to
smoke.

We could have 'smoking venues'. That means anyone could smoke.

You could go to 'non-smoking' venues.

I could go to 'smoking venues'.

See John go to the smoking venue. See Janet go to the non smoking venue.

Perhaps you should have a fag, it improves your concentration apparently.

Fascist.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Can I get a pint of whatever you are drinking? All I'm saying is that
smokers should have the right to have smoking venues.

Why would anybody provide a non-smoking venue in that situation? Where's
their commercial incentive to do so? That was the situation before the
smoking ban - what proportion of eg pubs were non-smoking? Bugger all.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:
That are the ones that have a mosquito ring tone on the phones so the
teacher cannot hear it.

I've heard this one and have my doubts that a phone speaker has either
the
frequency response or power to reproduce this properly.

We were thinking that at work. Still, you cannot stop made up stories from
doing the rounds.

I downloaded a wave file and played it on the rather tinny speakers of a
laptop and I couldn't hear it but my daughter was going to chuck the laptop
out the windows after 30 seconds.. she was 21 at the time. I expect that it
would work as a ring tone.