Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ken Moiarty

Default Ultrasonic cat repellant??

Hi,
I'm interested in trying one of those ultrasonic cat repellant devices to
keep a certain person's cat from peeing in certain areas of our house.
Before I shell out the cash though, I want to be sure to choose a product
that is reliable.
These devices use a motion sensor so as to trigger the ultrasonic "noise"
that deters the cat. However, I know that a lot of products on the retail
market which use a motion sensor (e.g. motion sensitive light fixtures, for
example) often fail to work reliably within a few weeks or months of use,
due simply to the fact that the manufacturer implemented an unacceptably
cheap motion sensor in the assembly of the product.

Since there seems to be so many ultrasonic cat repellant products out there
competing against each other, it's likely that many of these are
manufactured using cheap motion sensors, in order to keep pricing attractive
to the unwitting majority of buyers. Therefore I'm asking if somebody here
might be able to guide me towards a particular ultrasonic cat repellant
name brand or product that is (or may be) an exception to this rule.
(Pricing is not a consideration at this point.) Thank you in advance...

Ken

Dave Balderstone

If the problem is outdoors, try this rather than ultrasonic. It'll
actually work:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=44958&cat=2,51555&ap=1

$87 CAD, plus shipping if you don't have a Lee Valley store in your
town.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Ken Moiarty

"Dave Balderstone" wrote ...

If the problem is outdoors, try this rather than ultrasonic.

Unfortunely it is not outdoors (and the other human being concerned won't
let me throw the %@#! cat outside after dark).

It'll actually work [...]

Are you just being dubious here, or can I take it that you have
reason/experience to believe that these electronic/ultrasonic cat repellant
devices don't work as claimed? If the latter, please fill me in. Thanks.

Ken

ameijers

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I don't know if the purpose-built devices will work, especially after
the cat gets used to them. But I do know that those ultrasonic measuring
tapes they used to sell (haven't seen them lately) will scare the hell out
of a cat, at least as first. I got one for Christmas several years back, and
was sitting in living room playing with it just as cat came around corner.
Poor sucker literally did a backflip running away, ran down in basement, and
wouldn't come out for two hours. Never tried it on other cats, probably
depends on how good their hearing is.

aem sends...

Rich Greenberg

In article 781re.1658991$6l.1204016@pd7tw2no,
Ken Moiarty wrote:
Hi,
I'm interested in trying one of those ultrasonic cat repellant devices to
keep a certain person's cat from peeing in certain areas of our house.
Before I shell out the cash though, I want to be sure to choose a product
that is reliable.

Adopt or borrow a Siberian Husky (see my sig). Most of them consider a
cat to be a furry chew toy.

Ken Moiarty

Rich wrote on Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:56:40 +0000 (UTC):

RG Adopt or borrow a Siberian Husky (see my sig). Most of them consider a
RG cat to be a furry chew toy.

We have a Rottweiler that lives indoors too. She would fight to protect
"her" cats. g

Ken

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

In article 6WEre.1677364$8l.332021@pd7tw1no,
"Ken Moiarty" wrote:

Rich wrote on Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:56:40 +0000 (UTC):

RG Adopt or borrow a Siberian Husky (see my sig). Most of them consider a
RG cat to be a furry chew toy.

We have a Rottweiler that lives indoors too. She would fight to protect
"her" cats. g

Ken

I know of a family who own two pitbulls and one orange cat (an amazing
predator-- watch out rodentia). Those dogs are the slaves of that cat.
Never seen anything like it.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers
ameijers

"Ken Moiarty" wrote:

Rich wrote on Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:56:40 +0000 (UTC):

RG Adopt or borrow a Siberian Husky (see my sig). Most of them

consider a
RG cat to be a furry chew toy.

We have a Rottweiler that lives indoors too. She would fight to protect
"her" cats. g

Ken

I know of a family who own two pitbulls and one orange cat (an amazing
predator-- watch out rodentia). Those dogs are the slaves of that cat.
Never seen anything like it.

A claw in the nose establishes pecking order pretty quick. And animals under
the same roof usually end up regarding each other as pack mates, especially
if they see the Alpha that feeds them cooing over the new addition. Applies
to dogs, cats, babies, etc. Animals are no fools- they won't let instinct
threaten a steady meal and a warm dry place to sleep.

As to the original post- many years ago, I accidently found out that a
ultrasonic measuring tape makes cats freak and run, at least until they get
used to it, or they are old and deaf. Never saw a cat do a backflip in
mid-stride before that....

aem sends...