Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Mosquito under-25 repellant device

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:57:37 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:09:10 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

If we had reasonable legislation involving choice, instead of
punitive legislation we wouldn't have the problem would we. We
could shift them into designated smoking areas.

But they _don't_ - there are loads of smoking shelters outside
supermarkets et.al., but smokers don't use them. They'd rather stand
in the shop doorway polluting the atmosphere.

Smoking shelters? Are you having a laugh? The only ones I've seen are at
the back of pubs. Supermarkets? Where?

All over the place - apart from where the smokers congregate.

A few years ago the local large general hospital provided
'bus-shelter' type smoking shelters, which nobody used (apart from
normal people using them in the rain to wait for taxis etc). They were
dismantled a year or two ago when smoking was 'banned' in the grounds
altogether. Now even patients in wheelchairs, carrying dripfeed stands
or whatever they're called, just gather anywhere to feed their smoking
habits and give you a two-fingered wave if you so much as look at them
if you're visiting someone.

It's a waste of time complaining to the hospital authorities - a lot
of the offenders are security staff (and even 'health professionals'
(whatever that's supposed to mean)).

Unfortunately most hospitals seem to have large concrete canopies over
their major portals, providing ideal spots for smokers.

--
Frank Erskine