Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What do you use yours for? [was maplin thermometer ]

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:52:55 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Bovvered? wrote:
Mine arrived today and what a splendid piece of kit it is for 25 quid.
Was expecting it to be the usual tacky chinese tat but it is in fact
rather nice quality.

So far I've measured my hand, the wall, inside of the freezer, a couple
of radiators, a shoe, and my cat. I wanted to measure the sky as
recommended in other posts, but it's raining here and I don't want to
get the lens all soggy. Maybe I'll find something useful to do with it?
But until then I'll just carry on enjoying checking the temperature of
everyday household objects.

...the hours must just fly by...

There speaks someone who isn't yet old enough to truly appreciate new
toys ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote:
Mine arrived today and what a splendid piece of kit it is for 25 quid.
Was expecting it to be the usual tacky chinese tat but it is in fact
rather nice quality.

So far I've measured my hand, the wall, inside of the freezer, a couple
of radiators, a shoe, and my cat. I wanted to measure the sky as
recommended in other posts, but it's raining here and I don't want to
get the lens all soggy. Maybe I'll find something useful to do with it?
But until then I'll just carry on enjoying checking the temperature of
everyday household objects.

...the hours must just fly by...

There speaks someone who isn't yet old enough to truly appreciate new
toys ;-)

You are a kindred spirit! LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote:
Mine arrived today and what a splendid piece of kit it is for 25
quid. Was expecting it to be the usual tacky chinese tat but it is
in fact rather nice quality.

So far I've measured my hand, the wall, inside of the freezer, a
couple of radiators, a shoe, and my cat. I wanted to measure the
sky as recommended in other posts, but it's raining here and I
don't want to get the lens all soggy. Maybe I'll find something
useful to do with it? But until then I'll just carry on enjoying
checking the temperature of everyday household objects.

...the hours must just fly by...

There speaks someone who isn't yet old enough to truly appreciate new
toys ;-)

You are a kindred spirit! LOL

Me too!

I do actually use mine a lot.

If I change/move/install a rad I use it as a simple check to make sure all
the rads are at more or less the same temp after refilling the system. Also
enables you to see if a rad needs bleeding - just check top & bottom - you
can do that from the doorway of a room.

Best of all - it impress's the hell out of the punters :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote:
[...]

Heh! I'd ignored this thread, up until now. But given the sheer number
of mundane temperatures mentioned, I suddenly find that I want one!
--
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use mine for:

Checking circuit breakers to see if they are running too hot
Ditto cables

Behind suspended ceilings to pinpoint heat losses [which usually
indicate holes] when we have to 'gas-seal' a Server room

and to demonstrate to the 'boy' that just because the microwave had
pinged it did not mean that his pie was warmed through
completely....and later to show his mate what temperature his lips had
just experienced!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote:
[...]

Join us, come to the dark side. How hot is your consumer unit? You'll
have to buy one to find out...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...

Bovvered? wrote:
[...]

Even better if the punters have cats to chase the dot.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bovvered? writes:

Join us, come to the dark side. How hot is your consumer unit? You'll
have to buy one to find out...

MCBs are all at ambient temperature.
RCBO's are all about 5C warmer, but they do that even with no load.
(Didn't take the front off -- I think the backs of the RCBOs are
even warmer.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2008 11:33, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

RCBO's are all about 5C warmer, but they do that even with no load.

Cue the green lobby calling for people to switch off consumer units when
circuits are unused rather than waste energy by leaving RCBOs on warm
standby.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:13:24 -0800 (PST), Rob Hamadi wrote:

Heh! I'd ignored this thread, up until now. But given the sheer number
of mundane temperatures mentioned, I suddenly find that I want one!

I'm trying *really* hard to resist, I have a dual input thermcouple
thermomtere for doing rads, it even does the maths for you between the two
sensors. B-)

Maplin stock is now 106 from 150+ on Friday, though I think I'd rather
have the CPC one (at it's low price) more buttons, less sexy.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:33:25 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I'm trying *really* hard to resist, I have a dual input thermcouple
thermomtere for doing rads, it even does the maths for you between the two
sensors. B-)

When I did mine ('79), I used two thermocouples wired in opposition into a dvm.
Did not have to worry about cold junction compensation as the thermals (at the
DVM) cancelled out.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bovvered? wrote:
[...]

It's very interesting to look at the wall temperatures. We are in an
end terrace and the difference between the party wall and the exterior
wall is several degrees C. You can even work out which rooms next have
the heating on in.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 8:16 pm, PCPaul wrote:

...the hours must just fly by...

There speaks someone who isn't yet old enough to truly appreciate new
toys.

Hmm...
I wonder where my wood-chip wallpaper scratcher tool is.
I haven't seen it in years.

Who do I know that has wood-chip wallpaper?

What can I use as a spray bottle... ah, yes, I remember. An empty
plastic bottle with a small hole in th.....

Anyone here got some wood-chip wallpaper they want removed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL says...

Bovvered? wrote:
[...]

Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

The hot water cylinder shows 7 degrees C hotter than the
room it is in, so that may benefit from some more
insulation or fitting a cupboard around.

Interestingly the unheated North facing walls upstairs are
a few degrees colder than the outside temperature. Brrrh!

I've not finished insulating the loft yet, and the rooms
below those already insulation clearly keep their heat much
better. (As you'd expect really).

One room upstairs has pine cladding around it (not fitted
by me) and I've been tempted to remove it. However, one
part of wall doesn't have this and is 10 degrees C colder
than every other surface in the room, so the cladding may
be stopping for the time being. Looks like the section of
bare wall just sucks the heat out of the room.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:49:12 -0800, Weatherlawyer wrote:

On Jan 11, 8:16 pm, PCPaul wrote:

...the hours must just fly by...

There speaks someone who isn't yet old enough to truly appreciate new
toys.

Hmm...
I wonder where my wood-chip wallpaper scratcher tool is. I haven't seen
it in years.

Who do I know that has wood-chip wallpaper?

What can I use as a spray bottle... ah, yes, I remember. An empty
plastic bottle with a small hole in th.....

Anyone here got some wood-chip wallpaper they want removed?

Or, indeed, old toys.

I find whenever I get round to clearing up the darker corners of the shed/
loft/garage I get very quickly derailed into 'Oh I needed that' - and
going off to do the thing that's been waiting for me to find it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:33:25 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:13:24 -0800 (PST), Rob Hamadi wrote:

Heh! I'd ignored this thread, up until now. But given the sheer number
of mundane temperatures mentioned, I suddenly find that I want one!

I'm trying *really* hard to resist, I have a dual input thermcouple
thermomtere for doing rads, it even does the maths for you between the
two sensors. B-)

Well, if sums like 48-37 give you problems, go for it!

;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

Sounds like "married" for some years;-(..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:41:01 +0100, David in Normandy wrote:

Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking temperatures all over
the house, walls, floors, ceilings, doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle,
fridge. It certainly shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

Were you point at the right bits?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer says...
In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

Sounds like "married" for some years;-(..

Is it that obvious? "hot in bed" nowadays refers to the
electric blanket or hot water bottle.

Interestingly the Mrs has an electric blanket on her side
of the bed but I don't. Using the wonderful Maplins
thermometer I measured the temperature under the sheets
last night before getting in. My side was a mere 9 C but
her side was a toasty 30 C.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David in
Normandy writes
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

My wife tells me that that's your fault Dave.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si says...
In message , David in
Normandy writes
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

My wife tells me that that's your fault Dave.

Oh! I'm surprised your wife told you about that!
She always said it would be our secret ;-)
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
tony sayer says...
In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

Sounds like "married" for some years;-(..

Is it that obvious? "hot in bed" nowadays refers to the
electric blanket or hot water bottle.

Interestingly the Mrs has an electric blanket on her side
of the bed but I don't. Using the wonderful Maplins
thermometer I measured the temperature under the sheets
last night before getting in. My side was a mere 9 C but
her side was a toasty 30 C.

Jeezz ..shes almost on fire..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer says...
In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
tony sayer says...
In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

Sounds like "married" for some years;-(..

Is it that obvious? "hot in bed" nowadays refers to the
electric blanket or hot water bottle.

Interestingly the Mrs has an electric blanket on her side
of the bed but I don't. Using the wonderful Maplins
thermometer I measured the temperature under the sheets
last night before getting in. My side was a mere 9 C but
her side was a toasty 30 C.

Jeezz ..shes almost on fire..

The electric blanket was from Aldi - so there's time yet!
--
David in Normandy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David in
Normandy writes
tony sayer says...
In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
tony sayer says...
In article , David in
Normandy scribeth thus
Andy Champ says...
David in Normandy wrote:
Mine arrived this morning, so I've been checking
temperatures all over the house, walls, floors, ceilings,
doors, windows, dog, wife, kettle, fridge. It certainly
shows the cold spots where heat is lost.

After that I just have to ask - is your wife hot? :P

Andy

Unfortunately more luke warm than hot :-(

Sounds like "married" for some years;-(..

Is it that obvious? "hot in bed" nowadays refers to the
electric blanket or hot water bottle.

Interestingly the Mrs has an electric blanket on her side
of the bed but I don't. Using the wonderful Maplins
thermometer I measured the temperature under the sheets
last night before getting in. My side was a mere 9 C but
her side was a toasty 30 C.

Jeezz ..shes almost on fire..

The electric blanket was from Aldi - so there's time yet!

Fsck!!! Pass the screen cleaner!

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-15 17:53:03 +0000, David in Normandy said:

The electric blanket was from Aldi - so there's time yet!

To buy this week's special offer - the fire extinguisher?

Make sure that you pick the red cylinder. The green ones are the marrows......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall says...
On 2008-01-15 17:53:03 +0000, David in Normandy said:

The electric blanket was from Aldi - so there's time yet!

To buy this week's special offer - the fire extinguisher?

Make sure that you pick the red cylinder. The green ones are the marrows......

The Mrs would be worried if I left a fire cylinder at the
side of the bed! She would probably be even more worried if
I left a marrow there.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall says...
On 2008-01-15 17:53:03 +0000, David in Normandy said:

The electric blanket was from Aldi - so there's time yet!

To buy this week's special offer - the fire extinguisher?

Make sure that you pick the red cylinder. The green ones are the marrows......

The Mrs would be worried if I left a fire cylinder at the
side of the bed! She would probably be even more worried if
I left a marrow there.

I thought that anything goes in France....

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVT4iZwz04

I like the Gallic shrug of the lady in the pet shop......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall says...

On 2008-01-15 17:53:03 +0000, David in Normandy
said:

The electric blanket was from Aldi - so there's time yet!

To buy this week's special offer - the fire extinguisher?

Make sure that you pick the red cylinder. The green ones are the
marrows......

The Mrs would be worried if I left a fire cylinder at the
side of the bed! She would probably be even more worried if
I left a marrow there.

I thought that anything goes in France....

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVT4iZwz04

I like the Gallic shrug of the lady in the pet shop......

But if he gets in the right hand seat of an aircraft, it makes him a
co-pilot.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

But if he gets in the right hand seat of an aircraft, it makes him a
co-pilot.

Maybe he thought it was a helicopter ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Dave wrote:

But if he gets in the right hand seat of an aircraft, it makes him a
co-pilot.

Maybe he thought it was a helicopter ;-)

Noted LOL

Dave