Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin infra red Thermometer

£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

Ordered it Sunday afternoon online and it arrived today, nice piece of
useful kit. 9:1, -50 C to +400 C, 0.1 C resolution, 0.95 emissivity, max
temperature measured hold, C or F, back light and auto shut off. I can
measure our radiator temperatures from 20 feet away, laser is spot on and
the reading is almost instant. Not yet checked its accuracy, but it seems
close to what I would expect. I've been looking for one for a month or two
and this seems to fit the bill. Delivery £2.99 unless you spend over £35, of
course I made up to more.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

Ordered it Sunday afternoon online and it arrived today, nice piece of
useful kit. 9:1, -50 C to +400 C, 0.1 C resolution, 0.95 emissivity, max
temperature measured hold, C or F, back light and auto shut off. I can
measure our radiator temperatures from 20 feet away, laser is spot on and
the reading is almost instant. Not yet checked its accuracy, but it seems
close to what I would expect. I've been looking for one for a month or two
and this seems to fit the bill. Delivery £2.99 unless you spend over £35,
of course I made up to more.

An excellent choice sir.

Regardless of the accuracy (I am sure it will be fine) wait until you point
it around the house at certain things. I insulated my loft hatch very
quickly after taking a reading of it.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:30:07 -0000, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

Ordered it Sunday afternoon online and it arrived today, nice piece of
useful kit. 9:1, -50 C to +400 C, 0.1 C resolution, 0.95 emissivity, max
temperature measured hold, C or F, back light and auto shut off. I can
measure our radiator temperatures from 20 feet away, laser is spot on and
the reading is almost instant. Not yet checked its accuracy, but it seems
close to what I would expect. I've been looking for one for a month or two
and this seems to fit the bill. Delivery £2.99 unless you spend over £35, of
course I made up to more.

So how repeatable is it at different distances. You you get the same
reading 6 inches away as you do at 20 feet?

Always wanted one of these but could never justify the cost of one
with a high distance to spot ratio.

How good is it on a 15mm pipe, stable or variable according to
alignment?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:

[...]

I bought one several years ago to use for balancing the rads and when we
invested in cavity wall insulation about 15 months ago, I measured an
out side wall as 9 degrees warmer the next day.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:11:17 +0000, Dave wrote:

ARWadworth wrote:

[...]

From inside, I hope?

I've been fighting getting one of these, but you're all tempting me now...

My motto is 'no job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool' but I may
just have to invent a job that needs this one..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

From inside, I hope?

I've been fighting getting one of these, but you're all tempting me now...

My motto is 'no job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool' but I may
just have to invent a job that needs this one..

LOL I am like that.

No, I had to take all the water out of the rad system to drain it. I
took several rads off the wall to decorate behind them by draining by
opening the SOV and lockshield valves.

To set up the lockshield valves after, I bought a Maplin infrared
thermometer to set them up again.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:11:17 +0000, Dave wrote:

ARWadworth wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message ...

[...]

From inside, I hope?

I've been fighting getting one of these, but you're all tempting me
now...

My motto is 'no job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool' but I
may just have to invent a job that needs this one..

You definately need one - think about it. Getting your CH j& insulation ust
right reduces your carbon footprint & therefore helps saves the planet. If
you don't get one we are all doomed!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

Ordered it Sunday afternoon online and it arrived today, nice piece of
useful kit. 9:1, -50 C to +400 C, 0.1 C resolution, 0.95 emissivity, max
temperature measured hold, C or F, back light and auto shut off. I can
measure our radiator temperatures from 20 feet away, laser is spot on and
the reading is almost instant. Not yet checked its accuracy, but it seems
close to what I would expect. I've been looking for one for a month or two
and this seems to fit the bill. Delivery £2.99 unless you spend over £35, of
course I made up to more.

Thanks for the tip! Just went and ordered one myself as it's definitely
time that I balanced my CH.

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 03:32:03 +0000, Styx wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Just went and ordered one myself as it's definitely
time that I balanced my CH.

Yup, had one since they last had one on special and have found it very
good.

It was used regularly after the missus had her new knee to check when
she needed to put a cold compress on it (one knee still reads a couple
of degrees higher than the other) and when the Daughter and I were
bending some Perspex in the oven for her college project.

Practical (no contact required) interesting and fun!

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:18:05 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

You definately need one - think about it. Getting your CH j& insulation ust
right reduces your carbon footprint & therefore helps saves the planet. If
you don't get one we are all doomed!

I think the FAQ was fun

Q) Can this DIL thermometer be safely used on humans and animals,
(cows, pigs, dogs, cats etc.) It would be so useful on the farm.....
thanks... ))**_**(( - LG
A) Yes

--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

Ordered it Sunday afternoon online and it arrived today, nice piece of
useful kit. 9:1, -50 C to +400 C, 0.1 C resolution, 0.95 emissivity, max
temperature measured hold, C or F, back light and auto shut off. I can
measure our radiator temperatures from 20 feet away, laser is spot on and
the reading is almost instant. Not yet checked its accuracy, but it seems
close to what I would expect. I've been looking for one for a month or two
and this seems to fit the bill. Delivery £2.99 unless you spend over £35,
of
course I made up to more.

So how repeatable is it at different distances. You you get the same
reading 6 inches away as you do at 20 feet?

As near as I can tell, the same.

Always wanted one of these but could never justify the cost of one
with a high distance to spot ratio.

How good is it on a 15mm pipe, stable or variable according to
alignment?

No problem at all to 'hit' a small pipe, you just need to be nearer - say
six feet if the pipe is not too close to others - the 'beam' seems to be
much narrower than the 9:1 in the spec.. If it is too close to other pipes
you might be struggling to work out which one it is seeing the temperature
of. This is what I have found from testing it today-

They are no good at all for body temperature, as they measure surface
temperature of a body. No good for water, or chrome taps, or anything
reflective - it reads several degrees cooler than actual. Put something in
the water which it can measure the temperature of - and its fine. Add some
dark tape to a tap or shiny pipe and that too works fine, as do dull and/or
painted pipes. You cannot measure air temperature, but you can check the
temperature of an object in the room, or incoming air temperature from the
body of a vent etc.. You can check walls and to some extent (and
surprisingly) window glass surface temperatures. The angle of the surface
doesn't seem to make much difference to the temperature reading. I could
actually pick up the small rise in local temperature around a dimmer switch
at the far end of the living room.

Unlike a temperature probe which takes time to settle on the temperature,
these are almost instant - so you can spin it around the walls and see the
variations instantly. Last night objects in our living room were reading
around the 22 to 24 degree mark, as were the internal walls. Move it an
external wall and it fell to around 19 degrees, then onto a window at 17
degrees. You can actually see the wall temperature rise by a couple or so
degrees as you move the height of the point you are measuring up the wall.
Checking my weather stations outside temperature sensor I saw 4.2 (with the
Maplin unit) - near as matters the same as my weather stations actual
displayed reading.

One problem it does have is the soft holster type case - touch either of the
two buttons and the unit springs to life and it is all too easy for the
buttons to be nudged though the case. So the batteries probably will not
last long if it is carried around much on your belt. Perhaps a bit of stiff
card in the case might help resolve it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:18:05 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

PCPaul wrote:

I've been fighting getting one of these, but you're all tempting me
now...

My motto is 'no job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool' but I may
just have to invent a job that needs this one..

You definately need one - think about it. Getting your CH & insulation
just right reduces your carbon footprint & therefore helps saves the
planet. If you don't get one we are all doomed!

Well, I've gone and done it. One is on the way (of the 150 or so showing
as in stock).

Thinking about it, I'm in a rented house at the moment with six huge
evacuated tube solar water heaters high up on the side wall (southish
facing). I've been told the people who had them fitted moved out in a
hurry after some job change or something, and never did get them working
right. Sounds like a cowboy firm put them in, and had to be called back
to try again...

If that's not a good reason to *need* a non contact thermomenter to try
and follow what the system is up to, I don't know what is.

There. Clear conscience. I knew I could do it ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
PCPaul wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:11:17 +0000, Dave wrote:

ARWadworth wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message ...

[...]

From inside, I hope?

Sorry for not answering you sooner, but yes, it was from inside.

I've been fighting getting one of these, but you're all tempting me
now...

My motto is 'no job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool' but I
may just have to invent a job that needs this one..

You definately need one - think about it. Getting your CH j& insulation ust
right reduces your carbon footprint & therefore helps saves the planet. If
you don't get one we are all doomed!

But doesn't your carbon foot print grow bigger by buying one ;-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If that's not a good reason to *need* a non contact thermomenter to try
and follow what the system is up to, I don't know what is.

I picked one up at lunchtime today, and it was a hit in the office,
with all the women trying to figure out who was coldest (!)

My missus, might I add, was highly unimpressed, asking what the hell I
bought it for...

So far, my most inventive use has been to check the temperature of the
milk for her latte after dinner (you should have heard the "tut" she
did as I checked it !)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul says...
Well, I've gone and done it. One is on the way (of the 150 or so showing
as in stock).

Wish I hadn't read this thread. I've just gone and bought
one too. £10 postage to France is a bit steep though.

My excuse is I'm in the process of insulating the house,
bit by bit, and want to see where the heat is all going.
It will be interesting to check the temperature difference
between inside and outside walls and between floors.

There - that has justified the purchase! I think?

--
David in Normandy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 21:14:01 -0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

If that's not a good reason to *need* a non contact thermomenter to try
and follow what the system is up to, I don't know what is.

I picked one up at lunchtime today, and it was a hit in the office,
with all the women trying to figure out who was coldest (!)

My missus, might I add, was highly unimpressed, asking what the hell I
bought it for...

Ah, unfortunately women do not appreciate the pleasure an expensive
yet unnecessary tool brings to a man. I have ordered my infrared
thermometer knowing full well that my wife will first ask "how much
was that" followed by " what do you need it for". As usual I will
make something up about optimising the central heating to save us
money.

When I bought my fluke scope meter I had to say I needed to check the
mains was "in spec". LOL

So far, my most inventive use has been to check the temperature of the
milk for her latte after dinner (you should have heard the "tut" she
did as I checked it !)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my wife will first ask "how much was that"
followed by " what do you need it for".

I expect EXACTLY those two statements too.
Are women's brains hardwired the same?

I too will give some woffle about how it will allow me to
pinpoint parts of the house that need extra insulation and
that it will save money in heating bills.

New toy! Yeah!
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
my wife will first ask "how much was that"
followed by " what do you need it for".

I expect EXACTLY those two statements too.
Are women's brains hardwired the same?

Seems that way. Never seems to apply to their "bargains" though does it?
How many pairs of shoes do you need?

I too will give some woffle about how it will allow me to
pinpoint parts of the house that need extra insulation and
that it will save money in heating bills.

"I need it for the business luv". Great being a handyman!

New toy! Yeah!

Nothing better is there?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:

[...]

I bought the first model Maplin did some years back.
As a result of taking it in to work a few times, and people
seeing me using it whilst cooking, I've bought I think about
6 more of them for other people, one of which was part of a
CPC order which arrived just today:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
If that's not a good reason to *need* a non contact thermomenter to try
and follow what the system is up to, I don't know what is.

I picked one up at lunchtime today, and it was a hit in the office,
with all the women trying to figure out who was coldest (!)

My missus, might I add, was highly unimpressed, asking what the hell I
bought it for...

So far, my most inventive use has been to check the temperature of the
milk for her latte after dinner (you should have heard the "tut" she
did as I checked it !)

Try pointing it at the sky (not the sun).
Providing there's a tiny bit of high cloud cover, you'll get
the temperature of that (can be -40, but I have seen it as low
as -55). Low cloud is usually not very different from the ground
temperature. If there's no cloud cover, you won't get a reading
(doesn't measure down to the -270 of the Universe background
temperature;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:

[...]

And to think that I paid £76 for one when they first came out from RS

Impulse sale at the trade counter

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 09/01/2008 22:27 Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

[snip]

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

Sorry, the inevitable question: which is better? Maplin at £25 or CPC at
£20?

Cancel that. Just checked and the CPC is now £47.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
I bought the first model Maplin did some years back.
As a result of taking it in to work a few times, and people
seeing me using it whilst cooking, I've bought I think about
6 more of them for other people, one of which was part of a
CPC order which arrived just today:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

And to think that I paid £76 for one when they first came out from RS

Impulse sale at the trade counter

CPC often have them on special offer. There's a smaller
pocket one I've seen which was somewhere in the £10-£15
range at one point.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Jan 2008 22:27:02 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:

[...]

Blimey that is a good price !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

[snip]

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

Sorry, the inevitable question: which is better? Maplin at £25 or CPC at
£20?

Cancel that. Just checked and the CPC is now £47.

Nope. still £16.95 +vat

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 10/01/2008 00:34 Bovvered? wrote:

Nope. still £16.95 +vat

If you click on Buy you'll find that it's not available under that
product number. A search will then reveal that it's available at
increased price under a different number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:48:11 +0000, F wrote:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

Sorry, the inevitable question: which is better? Maplin at £25 or CPC at
£20?

Cancel that. Just checked and the CPC is now £47.

Are you sure? I just followed that CPC link above and the unit price is
£19.92 inc VAT...

Spec is virtually identical, the CPC is 8:1 rather than 9:1. More buttons
on the CPC but less sleek looks. B-) That is assuming the images on both
web sites are accurate...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
writes
On 09/01/2008 22:27 Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message ...

£24.99 N55CX, reduced from £49.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y

[snip]

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

Sorry, the inevitable question: which is better? Maplin at £25 or CPC
at £20?

Cancel that. Just checked and the CPC is now £47.

The CPC one has an optical resolution of 8:1 whereas the Maplin has 9:1.

However, the CPC one has *5* buttons which is a much better value toy
than the Maplin with only 2.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:48:11 +0000, F wrote:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

Sorry, the inevitable question: which is better? Maplin at £25 or CPC at
£20?

Cancel that. Just checked and the CPC is now £47.

Are you sure? I just followed that CPC link above and the unit price is
£19.92 inc VAT...

When you click to add to the basket you get "The product IN0229461 was
not found."

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel says...
In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
[...]

If the range is that good, presumably it is possible get
the temperature of the outside of the roof at various
places and compare that to the outside ambient temperature?

That would allow detection of any hotspots on the roof and
hence where more insulation was needed, or where warm air
was sneaking past existing insulation and escaping?
--
David in Normandy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Dave writes:
ARWadworth wrote:

[...]

Maxie, I went and bought one. The shop next door had a long queue outside
or hot cakes, then the line moved over to Maplin when tthey saw me buying
one. Isn't that amazing Maxie?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Si $3o&m writes:
In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:48:11 +0000, F wrote:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=IN0229461

Sorry, the inevitable question: which is better? Maplin at £25 or CPC at
£20?

Cancel that. Just checked and the CPC is now £47.

Are you sure? I just followed that CPC link above and the unit price is
£19.92 inc VAT...

When you click to add to the basket you get "The product IN0229461 was
not found."

Hum, I wonder if it was a mistake on their computer?
Mine turned up OK, and it says £16.95 on the invoice.
On the web based dispatch note, it's rather strange. It shows
it as not delivered but charged for, and they've added the
IN02294 £40 one to my order as a free item which is marked
as delivered.

I bought one of this model before when it was on offer at
something around the £25 mark, IIRC.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

If the range is that good, presumably it is possible get
the temperature of the outside of the roof at various
places and compare that to the outside ambient temperature?

Yes if you can see your roof.
Someone already mentioned checking for cold spots inside
the house as a means to find heat loss, such as the loft
hatch. You can do the same outside, looking for hot spots.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David in
Normandy writes
Andrew Gabriel says...
In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
[...]

What you need to realise is that these things measure a cone defined by
the angle they quote. You are not measuring a spot the size of the beam
you are illuminating. I forget what it is, but it's too wide to be able
to make a useful measurement of a roof at a distance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:52:21 +0000, Si wrote:

Are you sure? I just followed that CPC link above and the unit price is
£19.92 inc VAT...

When you click to add to the basket you get "The product IN0229461 was
not found."

The trailing 61 refers to one of their offer mags... Why don't you shock
horror ring them up and quote the full number first then proceed from
there?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:52:21 +0000, Si wrote:
Are you sure? I just followed that CPC link above and the unit price is
£19.92 inc VAT...

When you click to add to the basket you get "The product IN0229461 was
not found."

The trailing 61 refers to one of their offer mags... Why don't you shock
horror ring them up and quote the full number first then proceed from
there?

Trailing 61 is actually the website bargin offers, not the offer mags.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:35:05 GMT, geoff wrote:
What you need to realise is that these things measure a cone defined by
the angle they quote. You are not measuring a spot the size of the beam
you are illuminating. I forget what it is, but it's too wide to be able
to make a useful measurement of a roof at a distance

Isn't the cone size defined by the 9 to 1 ratio quoted in the spec?
So for every 9 feet you are from the target the "spot" size is 1 foot
in diameter.
I would not expect the edges of the cone to be particularly well defined.
So if you have a very hot or cold patch close to the notional side of the
spot, it could effect the reading - but how much of an effect is unknown

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Lynch writes:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:35:05 GMT, geoff wrote:
What you need to realise is that these things measure a cone defined by
the angle they quote. You are not measuring a spot the size of the beam
you are illuminating. I forget what it is, but it's too wide to be able
to make a useful measurement of a roof at a distance

Isn't the cone size defined by the 9 to 1 ratio quoted in the spec?
So for every 9 feet you are from the target the "spot" size is 1 foot
in diameter.
I would not expect the edges of the cone to be particularly well defined.
So if you have a very hot or cold patch close to the notional side of the
spot, it could effect the reading - but how much of an effect is unknown

It's also not clear to me what you would expect if there are two
things in view of very different temperatures. This would depend
how it analyses the IR spectrum it sees, but I've never got round
to experimenting.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Lynch
writes
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:35:05 GMT, geoff wrote:
What you need to realise is that these things measure a cone defined by
the angle they quote. You are not measuring a spot the size of the beam
you are illuminating. I forget what it is, but it's too wide to be able
to make a useful measurement of a roof at a distance

Isn't the cone size defined by the 9 to 1 ratio quoted in the spec?
So for every 9 feet you are from the target the "spot" size is 1 foot
in diameter.

? hmmm

I would not expect the edges of the cone to be particularly well defined.
So if you have a very hot or cold patch close to the notional side of the
spot, it could effect the reading - but how much of an effect is unknown

The Maplin has an internal thread around where the IR comes out as if
something could be screwed in to focus the beam.

--
Si

Infra red frequency Matty F UK diy 19 June 23rd 07 04:49 PM
balancing radiators and infra red thermometer JJJ UK diy 7 November 26th 05 02:32 PM
Maplin Doctor Drivel UK diy 2 October 24th 05 09:35 PM
Infra-red thermometers reduced at Maplin Biggles UK diy 9 December 31st 04 02:26 PM
infra ref thrermometers Mike UK diy 20 December 23rd 04 12:47 AM