Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seenso far ?

Ed Huntress wrote:

"user" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to make darned sure I keep my hair cut
short...

--
Ed Huntress

Back in the early to mid 70's when I was living with my grandparents and
had grown my hair to about my belt loops, Grandpa and I went to the store
one evening. Saw the ugliest looking person you ever saw. Grandpa asked
him, "What happened to you?"
The guy answered, "I got my ponytail caught in the lathe at work!"

Yikes

5 minutes later and several aisles over, Grandpa told me, "I ain't gonna
ever tell you to get your hair cut again."

Didn't have long hair very much after that.

Man, these stories are piling up. My 1943 edition of _How to Run a Lathe_
doesn't say anything about it. d8-)

They were smart enough to keep short hair back then, when common
sense, was still common.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 03:21:23 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:17:39 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"user" wrote in message
.. .
Ed Huntress wrote:

(((snip)
A kid at the highschool where a friend's wife teaches always wore
baggy track pants to school - regimental. Thought he was IT.

One day he somehow got his drawstring caught (wrapped around) on the
wood lathe. Got a few good wraps of the track pants wound up too. They
got the lathe stopped in time to save "the boys" - but JUST.
Didn't faze the idiot at all - - -

Well, being in high school, he probably hadn't reproduced yet. So this
counts as interfering with natural selection?

aem sends...

At 15 he had fathered at least 3. This is an "inner city" school. Stud
muffin.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Don Klipstein wrote:

Now, what if I am the caffeine junkie and nobody else at the shop is in
a mood for coffee and the pot is empty? Looks like I gotta brew it then!
(or guzle some Mountain Dew.)

I had worked doubles, seven days a week for over six months when my
idiot boss decided that I should make the first pot of coffee, along
with everything else I had to do. I told him I didn't drink coffee, and
didn't know how to make it. He grunted, "You'll make it, or you're
fired.". The next morning I decided the pot wasn't clean enough, and
scrubbed it till it shined. I smeared a fingertip full of Dawn inside
the pot, then filled the Mr. Coffee. He came in bleary eyed about 20
minutes later. He didn't even look at the pot. He just filled his cup
and was about to swallow when his eyes went wide and he spit it all over
the kitchenette. He dumped it out, followed by the rest of the pot. I
just smiled and said, "I told you that I didn't know how to make
coffee. Do you want me to try to make another pot?" He turned bright
red and started yelling, "Don't you EVER touch the coffee maker again!"

I preferred Mt. Dew, anyway. ;-)

Meanwhile, decades ago at a much younger age, I did put Joy (or
the like) regular dish detergent in a dishwasher. This was one of those
dishwashers with a dual hose that went to a fitting that fits onto a
kitchen sink faucet. This generated a few cubic yards of foam at a rate
2-3 orders of magnitude faster than the rate at which such foam can go
down the drain, IIRC.
Thankfully, the back door was at the kitchen and we had brooms. I don't
remember whether or not the snow shovel was used.

- Don Klipstein )

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

For some further clarification on "buzz cut" you can look here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_cut
"ameijers" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote

I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to make darned sure I keep my hair
cut
short...

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a deputy sheriff. He used to
have a handsome head of hair. Until the night he got involved in an
altercation with a crazed, very intoxicated woman. She grabbed his hair
in a death grip and they could not pry her loose for several minutes.
By that time, she had torn much of his scalp loose from his head.

The resulting injuries were very painful and took awhile to heal. They
shaved his head before they did the surgery to reattach his scalp. He
had to keep it shaved during the recovery. It has never been more than a
half an inch long since.

He said if he retires or takes up another line of work, he might grow
some hair agin. But as long as he is a law enforcement officer, he will
go with a buzz cut.

I don't know what a buzz cut is, but I suspect that it is a cut of the
hair that can not be grabbed/held.

'Buzz Cut' draws its name from the buzzing sound the clippers make as they
ride along the scalp. Think electric dog clippers- basically the same
thing. The buzz is 60hz, from the alternating line current, that is used
to move the heads back and forth. In UK, it would be a 50hz buzz. You hear
it right through your skull. I had buzz cuts as a kid, until I looked in
the mirror one day around 4th or 5th grade. I had a pony tail as a
teenager, but am back to above-the collar now. The current buzz-cut fad,
presumably war-inspired, leaves me cold.

aem sends...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

John B ""johntoymaker\"@large puddle.com" writes:

My wedding ring was worn on my wedding day and has stayed in a box at
home ever since.

My wedding ring is on my finger most of the time... but comes off
when I pick up a screwdriver.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
My hair has been cut so that it is no more than 1/2" long.

Mine has not been that long in a couple of years now. 1/6" on the sides,
uh, even less on top. Eliminates a lot of problems and is easy to style in
the morning.

G'day Ed,
I'm in your camp. I call it a 6 month hair cut
In Oz they are commonly called a Crew Cut.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

The message
from John B ""johntoymaker\"@large puddle.com" contains these words:

While at Tech, doing my apprenticeship we where warned never to wear
jewellery, including rings in the work shop. (Although some of the
instructors wore ties).
To drive home the message several large posters of photographs were
displayed.
One that I've never forgotten was of a finger with a wedding ring and a
long piece of string like stuff protruding from where it had been torn
from a hand.
This was a tendon that had stayed attached and pulled out from the
shoulder. No use or very little left in the blokes arm.

That photo made a lasting impression on me as well (back in 1962 or 63).
I was thinking about making a similar post myself when I found John had
beaten me to it.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

One that I've never forgotten was of a finger with a wedding ring and a
long piece of string like stuff protruding from where it had been torn
from a hand.

Nice...

I've got two I can recount, but they're not strictly handyman
accidents.

When I was serving my apprenticeship, we did a bit of practical and a
bit of workshop - one of the lads in our year managed to lose a finger
while working on a lathe. I think he made the mistake of continuing to
use it while turning around to talk to someone...

The other was an office accident, and this might top them all (sadly)

This happened either just before I started orvery shortly afterwards
in another local office (now closed). We had some work experience kids
in with varying levels of handicap, and someone thought it would be
safe to let one of these kids use the shredder. Not even the
manufacturer believed you could get a whole hand in that far :-/
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:32:19 GMT, raden wrote:

Short hair, no rings, no necklaces, no body metal, no ties, no
wris****ches and I have all my fingers left

Four beers for the carpenters .. as the germans say

Free men own guns

And dead people are the result

Dead bad people for the most part.

You seem to think this is a bad thing?

Gunner
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:32:19 GMT, raden wrote:

Short hair, no rings, no necklaces, no body metal, no ties, no
wris****ches and I have all my fingers left

Four beers for the carpenters .. as the germans say

Free men own guns

And dead people are the result

Dead bad people for the most part.

You seem to think this is a bad thing?

Gunner

He doesn't think, he just parrots the anti Second Amendment cult.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 12:52 am, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

Hi,

Was up a ladder fixing a leaking gutter with that black mastic stype
stuff. Got some on the white gutter so dabbed a paper towel in Mineral
Spirits and it cleaned right up. Put the paper towel in my back jean
pocket.

A while later feels like a bee stung me in the backside. Continue
working. Later that day I discover I have this large red painful rash
on my backside. I gess I must have been paint stripping by backside
LOL.

best, Mike.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from John B ""johntoymaker\"@large puddle.com" contains these words:

While at Tech, doing my apprenticeship we where warned never to wear
jewellery, including rings in the work shop. (Although some of the
instructors wore ties).
To drive home the message several large posters of photographs were
displayed.
One that I've never forgotten was of a finger with a wedding ring and a
long piece of string like stuff protruding from where it had been torn
from a hand.
This was a tendon that had stayed attached and pulled out from the
shoulder. No use or very little left in the blokes arm.

That photo made a lasting impression on me as well (back in 1962 or 63).
I was thinking about making a similar post myself when I found John had
beaten me to it.

Probably faked though as the tendon would only go till just after the wrist
where it attaches to the muscles that work the fingers.
About 6 inches I would estimate.
I always took my watch off after being told what happens if you forget and
reach between the battery bus bars and never have worn a ring as they are
naff and dangerous everywhere not just at work.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
The message
from John B ""johntoymaker\"@large puddle.com" contains these words:

While at Tech, doing my apprenticeship we where warned never to wear
jewellery, including rings in the work shop. (Although some of the
instructors wore ties).
To drive home the message several large posters of photographs were
displayed.
One that I've never forgotten was of a finger with a wedding ring and a
long piece of string like stuff protruding from where it had been torn
from a hand.
This was a tendon that had stayed attached and pulled out from the
shoulder. No use or very little left in the blokes arm.

That photo made a lasting impression on me as well (back in 1962 or 63).
I was thinking about making a similar post myself when I found John had
beaten me to it.

G'day Roger,
They sure didn't believe in getting rid of a good thing in those days
I remember it from '71 or '72.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

Could have been ?? May not have been a tendon, but that's the way I
remember it.
It still did the trick, even if they played around with it in the 60's
and 70's.
I won't let the War Office see this in case she takes your point of view
and makes me hunt up the ring

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

John B ""johntoymaker\"@large puddle.com" writes:

My wedding ring was worn on my wedding day and has stayed in a box at
home ever since.

My wedding ring is on my finger most of the time... but comes off
when I pick up a screwdriver.

When I got married it was a one-ring ceremony so i would never be
tempted to wear a ring

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message

A kid at the highschool where a friend's wife teaches always wore
baggy track pants to school - regimental. Thought he was IT.

One day he somehow got his drawstring caught (wrapped around) on the
wood lathe. Got a few good wraps of the track pants wound up too. They
got the lathe stopped in time to save "the boys" - but JUST.
Didn't faze the idiot at all - - -

Maybe we're getting some insight into why kids don't want to take shop
classes any more. Given how they dress and groom, it's downright dangerous.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

"user" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Most of my machining books contain warnings about tucking your tie inside of
your dress shirt, and covering it all up with a shop coat.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote

This happened either just before I started orvery shortly afterwards
in another local office (now closed). We had some work experience kids
in with varying levels of handicap, and someone thought it would be
safe to let one of these kids use the shredder. Not even the
manufacturer believed you could get a whole hand in that far :-/

Yikes. Over this past weekend some guy was killed when his
shirt became entangled with a stump grinder being operated by
some tree company. No word on why the homeowner was
hanging around so close to the activity that he could get his
shirt caught.

nancy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Making one pot of coffee with a little detegent in it excuses you of
having to EVER make coffee again. Have you ever seen a regular cup of
coffee with an inch of foam on the top? ;-

Isn't that what they call (super) cappuchino?
Couldn't taste any worse...

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Joe" wrote in message ...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Making one pot of coffee with a little detegent in it excuses you of
having to EVER make coffee again. Have you ever seen a regular cup of
coffee with an inch of foam on the top? ;-

Isn't that what they call (super) cappuchino?
Couldn't taste any worse...

Joe

Haha! "Cappuchino largo, please. Hold the dish detergent."

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
on 9/9/2007 11:18 AM Shawn Hirn said the following:
In article .com,
Ken wrote:

What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or
saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

I'm not going to read anymore of this thread. I'm afraid to go into my
work shed or pick up a tool!

I'm with you. It's scaring the pants off of me.

I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to make darned sure I keep my hair cut
short...

You SURE don't want to go into your shop without pants. ;-)

Oh, jeez, did you have to say that? I'm not going anywhere near my lathe for
a while now...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:20:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:32:19 GMT, raden wrote:

Short hair, no rings, no necklaces, no body metal, no ties, no
wris****ches and I have all my fingers left

Four beers for the carpenters .. as the germans say

Free men own guns

And dead people are the result

Dead bad people for the most part.

You seem to think this is a bad thing?

Gunner

He doesn't think, he just parrots the anti Second Amendment cult.

I wonder what his response will be if we bring up doctors, motor
vehicles, food and power tools, not to mention ladders....brrrrrrrrr!

Gunner

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:52:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote

This happened either just before I started orvery shortly afterwards
in another local office (now closed). We had some work experience kids
in with varying levels of handicap, and someone thought it would be
safe to let one of these kids use the shredder. Not even the
manufacturer believed you could get a whole hand in that far :-/

Yikes. Over this past weekend some guy was killed when his
shirt became entangled with a stump grinder being operated by
some tree company. No word on why the homeowner was
hanging around so close to the activity that he could get his
shirt caught.

nancy

I wonder if they still sent a bill to the house?

Gunner
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Doug Brown wrote:

For some further clarification on "buzz cut" you can look here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_cut

Thanks for that :-)

I had heard of a # 1 etc. but never a # 0

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

John B wrote:

I won't let the War Office see this in case she takes your point of view
and makes me hunt up the ring

I rather like that term of endearment ;-)

It just perfectly sums up their position.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:52:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote

This happened either just before I started orvery shortly afterwards
in another local office (now closed). We had some work experience kids
in with varying levels of handicap, and someone thought it would be
safe to let one of these kids use the shredder. Not even the
manufacturer believed you could get a whole hand in that far :-/

Yikes. Over this past weekend some guy was killed when his
shirt became entangled with a stump grinder being operated by
some tree company. No word on why the homeowner was
hanging around so close to the activity that he could get his
shirt caught.

I wonder if they still sent a bill to the house?

What, for cleaning the stump grinder, you mean?

David
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Gordon" d@p writes:
You sound typical of many of the injured persons described on
http://www.amgron.clara.net/circular.../accidents.htm
which was posted earlier in this thread.

OK, favourites?
Mine is the fishing line one near the bottom.

Snap (or rather it didn't;-).
And the kickback one which got him on the head of the penis.

You know its a bad day when you fall off a scaffold and "Carpenter fell
from a 2nd floor scaffold onto a running table saw, lost most of his hand."

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Ed Huntress wrote:

I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to make darned sure I keep my hair cut
short...

You SURE don't want to go into your shop without pants. ;-)

Oh, jeez, did you have to say that? I'm not going anywhere near my lathe for
a while now...

This is one of those occasions where the subtle difference in language
use between UK and US does rather change the implications!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

A couple come to mind. Years ago Briggs and Stratton had a wind up
starter for rotary lawn mowers. You opened the handle, wound the
spring, and flipped the handle closed to trip it. Someone picked up a
lawnmower with the spring wound up and held the mower to his chest.
When the handle was pushed, the spring was released spinning the blade
removing his fingers.

Toro had something similar.

Screw type log splitters. These were attached to the rear wheel of
your truck. A customer was telling my dad about one of these screwing
into his leg...

Junior High school, Woodshop. We were all in a distant circle as the
teacher was explaning the dangers of the table saw. He takes a small
piece of wood and drops it onto the spinning blade. It breaks in
half, hits me in the head and another kid in the neck. "See, I told
you it was dangerous!" he said. Steve Relich was his name. Nickname
was "Vise" If you could beat him at checkers you got 10 points. This
was in Mentor OH in the early 70's

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 10:52 pm, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

A college friend was helping a guy work on his house. Guy tries to
make a cut with a skillsaw in a sheet of paneling by bracing it
against his leg. As the cut nears completion, the sheet folds and he
takes a slice out of his thigh. He decides to clean up before going to
the emergency room. Goes into shock, passes out and bleeds to death in
the shower.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

on 9/10/2007 7:57 PM aemeijers said the following:
"Dave" wrote in message

Lobster wrote:

Owain wrote:

Lew Hartswick wrote:

I think I went through several suggar bowl lids when I was a
youngster. :-)

We were too poor to have sugar bowl lids.

Aye, us an' all - we used t'have to make do wi old jam-jar lids

Lids? Sugar bowls? What was wrong with the paper bag that it came in?

You had sugar? We had go out back and pick berries to mash into our cereal,
and squeeze into our coffee, if we wanted to sweeten them. Nothing like
wrestling racoons in the half-light of dawn to get the blood flowing....

aem sends...

You had dirt to grow berries in?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael A. Terrell
writes
raden wrote:

In message , Dave
writes

In the UK if we had the right to carry a gun and be immune to defending
ourselves against a mugger with a knife, or a burglar in the house,
then I am all for it.

Do you understand nurfink?

I understant that you're aren't qualified to own a gun, in your nanny
state.

One of the more sensible laws we have

--
geoff
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael A. Terrell
writes
raden wrote:

In message ,
nick hull writes

Free men own guns

And dead people are the result

Only if you're a good shot.

Ah, that's why they are allowed in Septicstan

--
geoff
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message , Gunner
writes
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:32:19 GMT, raden wrote:

Short hair, no rings, no necklaces, no body metal, no ties, no
wris****ches and I have all my fingers left

Four beers for the carpenters .. as the germans say

Free men own guns

And dead people are the result

Dead bad people for the most part.

You seem to think this is a bad thing?

Spoils your day a bit if you're not a baddie, though

--
geoff
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:32:19 GMT, raden wrote:

Short hair, no rings, no necklaces, no body metal, no ties, no
wris****ches and I have all my fingers left

Four beers for the carpenters .. as the germans say

Free men own guns

And dead people are the result

Dead bad people for the most part.

You seem to think this is a bad thing?

Gunner

He doesn't think, he just parrots the anti Second Amendment cult.

We don't have a second amendment, you thick septic

--
geoff

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Gordon" d@p writes:
You sound typical of many of the injured persons described on
http://www.amgron.clara.net/circular.../accidents.htm
which was posted earlier in this thread.
OK, favourites?
Mine is the fishing line one near the bottom.

Snap (or rather it didn't;-).
And the kickback one which got him on the head of the penis.

You know its a bad day when you fall off a scaffold and "Carpenter fell
from a 2nd floor scaffold onto a running table saw, lost most of his
hand."

He was bloody lucky that was all he lost.

tim

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:

You know its a bad day when you fall off a scaffold and "Carpenter
fell from a 2nd floor scaffold onto a running table saw, lost most of
his hand."

If I fell from a second floor scaffold onto a running table saw and
the news said "lost most of his hand", I'd consider myself to have
gotten off very lucky.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

He had been working on the roof of his house (almost 2 blocks away from
where I found him) and he had tied the rope from his car up over the front
of the roof of his house to his waist to keep from falling off his back roof
, but he hadn't bothered to take his wife's car keys away from her. She
decided to go shopping and went out, got in the car, and drove off. As she
drove away the rope pulled him up over the peak of his house at such
velocity that he didn't land until he reached some very large bushes near
the end of his driveway. She then dragged him out through the bushes and
down the street for almost 2 blocks before noticing that he was behind her.
(Yes, she was a blonde...if that counts.) As best as we could tell he had 1
broken leg and 1 broken arm, 3 or 4 broken ribs, a concussion, and some very
severe road rash over his back, one side of his face, both legs and both
arms. I heard later that he spent 2 days in the hospital, but I never heard
any more about him.

In my opinion it was his own fault for not telling his wife where he was
working and for not taking her car keys away from her, but at the time of
his accident he was very upset with her and blaming her for all of it. I
have often wondered if they are still married.

Let this be a lesson to all of you - If you have to use a rope to do your
high maintenance repairs, make sure you tie it to something that isn't going
to drive away.

Blimey!, you couldn't make that up!......

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
Dan Dan is offline

rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec .crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:40 PM
Subject: What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or
seen so far ?

investigation of his home and property.

He had been working on the roof of his house (almost 2 blocks away from
where I found him) and he had tied the rope from his car up over the front
of the roof of his house to his waist to keep from falling off his back
roof
, but he hadn't bothered to take his wife's car keys away from her...

Uh-huh

http://www.snopes.com/autos/mishaps/roofman.asp

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
John Rumm writes:

You know its a bad day when you fall off a scaffold and "Carpenter
fell from a 2nd floor scaffold onto a running table saw, lost most of
his hand."

If I fell from a second floor scaffold onto a running table saw and
the news said "lost most of his hand", I'd consider myself to have
gotten off very lucky.

I somehow doubt that any of us would really feel lucky in such an event.

--

-Mike-