Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building notice for Replacement Windows

Hi,

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 7:59 pm, EricP wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 11:31:23 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

Cheers,

Are they likely to notice?

When I go to sell the house a solicitor for the would-be buyers will
ask to ensure they have building regs certification - could do without
that hassle

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:31:23 -0700, colinbaisden wrote:

Hi,

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and like a
break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a building
notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a go in my
area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an expiry period of
such notices allowing me to cover more than one window in a submission? or
does it vary from council to council?

Cheers,

===============================
Confirm with your supplier that the windows comply with regulations and
then do the work at your leisure. When complete apply for a
'Regularisation Certificate' which is effectively a retrospective
application for permission.

Check details of 'Regularisation' with your local council.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
wrote:

On Apr 17, 7:59 pm, EricP wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 11:31:23 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

Cheers,

Are they likely to notice?

When I go to sell the house a solicitor for the would-be buyers will
ask to ensure they have building regs certification - could do without
that hassle

Doubt they'll care if you tell them to take it or leave it...

There is always someone. We had the buyers solicitors going on about
building regs for a 30 year old carport that didn't need them anyway.

No it didn't stop the sale of the house, but it was yet another thing to
slow things down.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message , Tim S
writes
wrote:

On Apr 17, 7:59 pm, EricP wrote:
[...]

My solicitor (when I was buying) was querying planning permissions for
various stuff built 10years ago. I argued it made no difference,
because after 10 years no enforcement can be made. She argued that the
mortgage company still cared, and that she was acting for them as well
as me. Bah. But she was happy to accept my estimates of size as
indicating that it didn't need pp, so I think that was a more a case of
"needed to be seen as acting for the mortgage company".

Ben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 17, 7:31 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

Cheers,

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll put a building notce in and
let them wait until I'm done, they'll be bored by then anyhow!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi,

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

A Building Notice allows you to start the work in advance of giving any
details to the Local Authority for approval. By this method you proceed
at risk. And I would go so far as to say, that if the Building
Regulations changed before you finished the job, then you might very
well find yourself in the position that the completed work, at the time
of change, is no longer compliant. Consequently, the Building Notice
route is best placed for works of short duration or of an urgent nature.

By far the safest solution is to make a Full Plans Submission and once
that application is approved, you should be able to proceed with the
work at your leisure.

As with all these things, you should always take the opportunity of
discussing your project with the LABC. Now that there is real
competition in BR services, you should find them to be quite helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
wrote:

On Apr 17, 7:59 pm, EricP wrote:
[...]

All you need is a FENSA certificate.

You can pretty much get that from the DG suppliers.

Now, IIRC, once a building notice has been received by the council, work
must be started withing a certain time frame (6 months???). I have been
told by a BCO over the phone that there is no legal requirement to complete
the job in any amount of time.

I am still under mine 7 yeares later...

So BNA for the whole job, start the first one then you can take 100 years to
finish if you want.

Not sure what happens if the regs get "upped" during that time though.

The regs that apply are the regs when you applied.

I am still working to 2000 regs.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Tim is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

All you need is a FENSA certificate.

You can pretty much get that from the DG suppliers.

Most interesting - didn;t know you could do that.

I am still under mine 7 yeares later...

Way to go

The regs that apply are the regs when you applied.

I am still working to 2000 regs.

That's also useful knowledge.

Ta,

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr 2007 11:31:23 -0700, a particular chimpanzee,
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

Work must commence within three years of submitting the notice,
otherwise it's null & void (& you don't get your money back).

Once work has been commenced and been notified to the Council (and
inspected so that it can be recorded as such), then there is no limit
on how long it can take before completion.

Some changes in Regulations have Transitional Provisions that apply
the new Requirements to existing applications, but up to now they have
never applied to work already commenced, and never applied
retrospectively (ie, requiring work already carried out to be
upgraded).

The Building Regulations apply across the whole of England & Wales
(Scotland & NI have their own Regs), so they are the same from Council
to Council.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:14:37 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Tim
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

All you need is a FENSA certificate.

Most interesting - didn;t know you could do that.

No you can't. FENSA applies to the installers, not the windows.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:49:54 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, The
Natural Philosopher randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I am still working to 2000 regs.

As is everyone else. The current Building Regulations came out in
2000, and were in effect from January 2001. There have, of course,
been several amendments since, but the underlying legal Regulations
are the 2000 ones.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:14:37 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Tim
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

All you need is a FENSA certificate.

Most interesting - didn;t know you could do that.

No you can't. FENSA applies to the installers, not the windows.

Seems slightly crazy when it's only the windows that have to comply.
AFAIK nobody inspects the installation so the manufacturer should be
able to to self-certify that they have supplied compliant windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:14:37 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Tim
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

All you need is a FENSA certificate.

Most interesting - didn;t know you could do that.

No you can't. FENSA applies to the installers, not the windows.

Seems slightly crazy when it's only the windows that have to comply.
AFAIK nobody inspects the installation so the manufacturer should be
able to to self-certify that they have supplied compliant windows.

.....mmmm .... I seem to remember in the recesses of my mind that one
of the requirements of a FENSA installer is that they check that the
old frames were in no way structural, as is sometimes the case in
Victorian terraces.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:

The Building Regulations apply across the whole of England & Wales
(Scotland & NI have their own Regs), so they are the same from Council
to Council.

I wonder, what do you do for a living?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bypass writes:
Hugo Nebula wrote:

The Building Regulations apply across the whole of England & Wales
(Scotland & NI have their own Regs), so they are the same from Council
to Council.

I wonder, what do you do for a living?

Hugo has said many times if you search back.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Hugo has said many times if you search back.

Are you always this helpful?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:06:28 GMT Stuart Noble wrote :
Seems slightly crazy when it's only the windows that have to comply.
AFAIK nobody inspects the installation so the manufacturer should be
able to to self-certify that they have supplied compliant windows.

But the same window may be compliant or not depending on where it is fixed
- e.g. issues of safety glass and escape openings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:25:57 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Bypass

Hugo Nebula wrote:

The Building Regulations apply across the whole of England & Wales
(Scotland & NI have their own Regs), so they are the same from Council
to Council.

I wonder, what do you do for a living?

Building Control Surveyor.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-20, Stuart Noble wrote:
Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:14:37 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Tim
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

All you need is a FENSA certificate.
Most interesting - didn;t know you could do that.
No you can't. FENSA applies to the installers, not the windows.

Seems slightly crazy when it's only the windows that have to comply.
AFAIK nobody inspects the installation so the manufacturer should be
able to to self-certify that they have supplied compliant windows.

FENSA certificates are trivial to forge, anyway. And the real ones
have no more value than one you knocked up yourself on your trusty
HP Laserjet.

Care to post one or two up?

Building Notice Advice??? [email protected] UK diy 9 December 16th 05 06:55 PM
Building control in two stages - full plans / building notice [email protected] UK diy 5 September 27th 05 10:17 AM
Replacement windows & Building Regs [email protected] UK diy 6 August 31st 05 08:57 AM
building notice Tim Smith UK diy 4 June 1st 05 09:01 PM
building notice or planning permission Tim Smith UK diy 7 April 20th 05 09:55 AM