Tim Smith

Default building notice or planning permission

Hi there

We are hoping to have some work done at home and I am trying to understand
what approvals etc I need.

I have rung the building controls department at our local council
(Stockport) and I am not really any clearer.

Basically our old kitchen at the back of the house had an extension built
onto it probably 15 years or so ago (not done by us). There is a doorway
(with no door) through the old external wall from the old kitchen to the new
kitchen.

Basically we had a builder round to ask if it was possible to remove the
rest of the old external wall and open up the two rooms into one. He had a
structural engineer round who did the calculations and confirmed that it was
possible and calculated the size of the steel etc.

This work is hopefully going to start in a week or so, but whilst watching
Property Ladder last night it suddenly dawned on us that we probably needed
some kind of permissions. I rang the council and tried to explain what we
were doing. The lady told me that I either needed planning permission (with
full plans) or a building notice. Apparently with a building notice, I can
have the work started almost immediately anyway.

When I asked which one I required, she said probably building notice but
wasnt sure. How can I tell ? There are no changes to the size of the house,
no changes to sewers, drains or electricals.

Can anyone advise what I need to submit ? Although the builder had a
structural engineer around presumably any building inspector would also
confirm that what they were doing was safe ?

Thanks

Tim

Mike

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
[...]

It's not planning permission but either a full plans or building notice
submission to building control. Given the state Stockport BC are in
(admitted on their own web site even) I'd go for a building notice.

Tim Smith

Thanks Mike,

I did see the waffle about lack of resources on their website !

So would I be correct in assuming that planning permission would probably be
for something like increasing teh size of the house etc whereas building
notice is for something more minor.

Presumably the council will tell me if they require full plans ?

The lady I spoke to said that with a building notice, I could in fact start
work within 24hrs (although we arent doing this). What would happen then if
I submit the building notice and did start work within 24hrs and the council
then told me that I needed to submit full plans...

Thanks again

Tim

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
[...]

David Hearn

Planning is generally for any change of use (residential into commercial
etc) or for size changes and maybe visual changes (esp when facing the road
I believe). These are more 'environmental' issues (although not Green Party
environment stuff, if you see what I mean).

Building control etc are to do with how the work is done, and is certainly
required for any structural work (if you've talked to a structural engineer
chances are you'll need building control). These areas tend to cover the
materials and methods, along with meeting various insulation and energy
saving initiatives.

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Thanks Mike,

I did see the waffle about lack of resources on their website !

So would I be correct in assuming that planning permission would probably

be
for something like increasing teh size of the house etc whereas building
notice is for something more minor.

THey are different things. You need planning permission for many things
first but the work itself will still come under building control.

Presumably the council will tell me if they require full plans ?

Your choice, not theirs - except for certain things like commercial premises
and flat conversions. Though they can be awkward if you put in a building
notice for a complete house renovation like I always do :-)

The lady I spoke to said that with a building notice, I could in fact

start
work within 24hrs (although we arent doing this). What would happen then

if
I submit the building notice and did start work within 24hrs and the

council
then told me that I needed to submit full plans...

They can't. But try to put in the building notice a few days earlier so
that they come round (late) for the pre-inspection BEFORE you start work.

However on a building notice they will ask you to do any structural
calculations whereas if you submit full plans they do this. Thus you have
to work out which is cheaper to you if you cannot do them yourself - a
trainee architect to draw up the plans or a qualified structural engineer to
do the calcs.

Christian McArdle

When I asked which one I required, she said probably building notice but
wasnt sure. How can I tell ? There are no changes to the size of the

house,
no changes to sewers, drains or electricals.

Building notice, unless the house is listed, when things (as always) get far
more complicated.

The building notice comes in two forms. You can either just tell them that
you're doing it and they come round to have a look to make sure it's all up
to scratch. Or you can submit plans, showing all the calculations.

Christian.

Ali Mac

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Just doing a small extension in Manchester under Building Notice where as
long as the extension is no more than 10% of the floor area (or volume or
something) of the house, planning permission is not required. Building
notice is worth getting for when you come to sell and questions start being
asked.
When I put in my beam, building control passed it all, but I've noticed a
few cracks above the beam as the whole house settles again. Apparently it's
all perfectly normal as the load is re-distributed, but for peace of mind
and to be sure your builder is doing things correctly, i'd advise getting
the inspector in.

Alistair

Tim Smith

Ive downloaded the form off their website and filled it in. It asks about
work being done but only gives you 3 lines to reply in.

It doesnt seem to mention providing calculations or plans, so I guess I just
submit and see what happens.

Tim

t...