Tim Smith

Thanks Mike,

I did see the waffle about lack of resources on their website !

So would I be correct in assuming that planning permission would probably be
for something like increasing teh size of the house etc whereas building
notice is for something more minor.

Presumably the council will tell me if they require full plans ?

The lady I spoke to said that with a building notice, I could in fact start
work within 24hrs (although we arent doing this). What would happen then if
I submit the building notice and did start work within 24hrs and the council
then told me that I needed to submit full plans...

Thanks again

Tim

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi there

We are hoping to have some work done at home and I am trying to
understand
what approvals etc I need.

I have rung the building controls department at our local council
(Stockport) and I am not really any clearer.

Basically our old kitchen at the back of the house had an extension built
onto it probably 15 years or so ago (not done by us). There is a doorway
(with no door) through the old external wall from the old kitchen to the

new
kitchen.

Basically we had a builder round to ask if it was possible to remove the
rest of the old external wall and open up the two rooms into one. He had
structural engineer round who did the calculations and confirmed that it

was
possible and calculated the size of the steel etc.

This work is hopefully going to start in a week or so, but whilst
watching
Property Ladder last night it suddenly dawned on us that we probably

needed
some kind of permissions. I rang the council and tried to explain what we
were doing. The lady told me that I either needed planning permission

(with
full plans) or a building notice. Apparently with a building notice, I
can
have the work started almost immediately anyway.

It's not planning permission but either a full plans or building notice
submission to building control. Given the state Stockport BC are in
(admitted on their own web site even) I'd go for a building notice.