Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tim Smith

Default building notice or planning permission

Hi there

We are hoping to have some work done at home and I am trying to understand
what approvals etc I need.

I have rung the building controls department at our local council
(Stockport) and I am not really any clearer.

Basically our old kitchen at the back of the house had an extension built
onto it probably 15 years or so ago (not done by us). There is a doorway
(with no door) through the old external wall from the old kitchen to the new
kitchen.

Basically we had a builder round to ask if it was possible to remove the
rest of the old external wall and open up the two rooms into one. He had a
structural engineer round who did the calculations and confirmed that it was
possible and calculated the size of the steel etc.

This work is hopefully going to start in a week or so, but whilst watching
Property Ladder last night it suddenly dawned on us that we probably needed
some kind of permissions. I rang the council and tried to explain what we
were doing. The lady told me that I either needed planning permission (with
full plans) or a building notice. Apparently with a building notice, I can
have the work started almost immediately anyway.

When I asked which one I required, she said probably building notice but
wasnt sure. How can I tell ? There are no changes to the size of the house,
no changes to sewers, drains or electricals.

Can anyone advise what I need to submit ? Although the builder had a
structural engineer around presumably any building inspector would also
confirm that what they were doing was safe ?

Thanks

Tim