Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Building notice for Replacement Windows

On 17 Apr 2007 11:31:23 -0700, a particular chimpanzee,
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I plan to replace windows in my house room by room as I go round
redecorating /overhauling them. This means there could be 6 months or
more between each window replacement (some need plenty of work and
like a break to get on with life between projects!). Submitting a
building notice for each replacement window make it expensive (£90 a
go in my area) so I wondered if ayone could tell me if there is an
expiry period of such notices allowing me to cover more than one
window in a submission? or does it vary from council to council?

Work must commence within three years of submitting the notice,
otherwise it's null & void (& you don't get your money back).

Once work has been commenced and been notified to the Council (and
inspected so that it can be recorded as such), then there is no limit
on how long it can take before completion.

Some changes in Regulations have Transitional Provisions that apply
the new Requirements to existing applications, but up to now they have
never applied to work already commenced, and never applied
retrospectively (ie, requiring work already carried out to be
upgraded).

The Building Regulations apply across the whole of England & Wales
(Scotland & NI have their own Regs), so they are the same from Council
to Council.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"