Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Global Warming and CO2 levels

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:26:00 GMT, Jim S wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:20:14 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:52:43 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...031455,00.html

That's interesting. He seemed to volunteer all he said at the time
freely, and the various bits didn't seem overly cut and pasted. I
wonder what he now wants to retract and why ? Sinister isn't it !

AWEM

He has probably been leant upon by whoever provides his funding....

Picked this off alt.comsumers.
As a retired scientist and having seen the programme.
It's all true, but against the flow (until temperatures begin to fall)

Quite.

If one simply enters "carl wunsch" as search terms in Google, there
are a slew of articles in publications ranging from the Economist to
the Royal Society where he has said essentially the same things, so it
isn't as though what he said in the C4 program was new for him.

Then one asks the obvious question of surely he saw the program before
it went out.

Now he is complaining *after* it went out, one can only assume that he
has been leaned on in some way or decided that he doesn't want to be
marginalised.

It's disappointing, but I suppose not surprising when science becomes
so heavily influenced by populism rather than its core business.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's the Spanish Inquisition all over again! We have WAYS to make you
think like us G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

It's disappointing, but I suppose not surprising when science becomes
so heavily influenced by populism rather than its core business.

Yes, both Science and Politics used to be Gentlemanly pursuits rather
than careers. Once a man's career is on the line for what he says, he's
open to the paymaster compromising his principles.

This is why I advocate an unpaid, hereditary Lords, with unpaid MPs in
the Commons (reasonable expenses paid, of course). Anyone who can't
afford to go to parliament on these terms, shouldn't be there.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-03-10, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:

I am sure they have given serious thought (what is the emoticon for
irony?) to the environmental impact of landfilling all those dimmer
switches complete with power semiconductors, followed by the amount of
extra mercury that will follow from the CFLs

Burning extra fossel

CFL plus the reduced mercury from reduced fossel fuel burning.

Fossil.

Must remember to use a spiling chequer...

You're welcome.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:

And I thought the function of the "EU" was to promote trade, rather
than banning things.

Why do you feel the two are incompatible? The EU has surely promoted
the European shoe trade by banning many imports.

And you're going to buy a new lamp... surely costing more than the
couple of incandescent bulbs you'd have bought for it during the
rest of its life.

Actually no. The CFL is in general cheaper overall even without the
energy reduction..so why BAN incandescents. CFLs are in MANY cases
cheaper and better..we use them because in general that is the case.
There is no need to BAN anything.

So why ban?

Simple. The EU has powers to prohibit, but no general power to tax.

Governments have two powers to achieve their aims. Taxation (and
subsidising) and powers of prohibition.

Despite the fact that in general most people's purchasing decisions are
extremely price sensitive, and that taxation as such has the greater
effect..they go for banning..Why? because it arouses less political
controversy, and means they don't have to actually do anything themselves.

If the same fuel duties that are applied to road fuel were applied to
domestic and industrial fuel, the first thing that would happen is the
the nuclear industry would be able to borrow all the money it ever
needed to build new reactors, and wind turbines might be effective..and
every single house would be insulated up to the eyeballs, simply because
the economic numbers would make sense..it would cost me £3500 a year
extra to buy heating oil at road prices..

In fact I would almost certainly invest then in an electric boiler and
buy all my electricity from nuclear power plants..because it would be
CHEAPER. CFL's would not be needed..instead I would put in 'winter
bulbs' to heat the house after sunset in winter ;-)

Suddenly aircraft that had to refuel in Europe would be subject to a 3
times fuel price increase. Cheap flights would vanish.

Suddenly the cost benefit of traffic lights everywhere would be called
into question..and they would be removed. Along with all night
illumination of roads etc.

And so on.

As usuasl the political response is not to bite he bullet and really
attempt to change anything at all. It is to spend billions of tax payers
money coming up with an irritating law that changes almost nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
It will be interesting to see how well CFLs replace filament lamps in
vehicle headlights.

and projectors

Both applications have already been taken over by HID lamps.

To the best of my knowledge there are no replacement HID lamps for
filament car headlamps that are E marked. The snag is the directivity
pattern of an HID lamp is different to that of a filament and needs a
different reflector. The same seems to apply with replacement LEDs for
things like brakelights. They're all on sale, but not legal.

Other thing is of course OE HID headlamps have a complicated self
levelling system. Although if they produced lower power replacements for
older cars this part might not be needed.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
It will be interesting to see how well CFLs replace filament lamps in
vehicle headlights.

and projectors

Both applications have already been taken over by HID lamps.

To the best of my knowledge there are no replacement HID lamps for
filament car headlamps that are E marked.

And there won't be, because, as you say...

The snag is the directivity
pattern of an HID lamp is different to that of a filament and needs a
different reflector. The same seems to apply with replacement LEDs for
things like brakelights. They're all on sale, but not legal.

HID headlamps are not seriously an energy saving device in any
case, but more of a feature to mark out up-market cars/models.
This is why they are deliberately made a different colour, when
in fact, they can easily be made filament colour, and filament
colour happens to be better for night time vision. (Spot all
the pillocks with blue/green filament headlamps;-). No one will
spend £1000 extra on a car unless their friends/neighbours can
see they spent £1000 extra though -- that's what being caught
by marketing means.

Other thing is of course OE HID headlamps have a complicated self
levelling system. Although if they produced lower power replacements for
older cars this part might not be needed.

Europe imposed the requirement on HID being self leveling because
drivers faced with manual headlamp leveling controls on filament
headlamps were completely incapable of setting them correctly, usually
dazzling the drivers in front. US vehicle lighting experts are
nagging their government to impose the same regulation, but so far
without success. It's even worse in the US because their lighting
regs don't require such a sharp dip-beam cutoff as the EU regs do.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-10, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 22:46:55 +0000, Owain
wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
BTW where has "Horizon" gone, hasn't been any for months or have they
moved it to day time ?!

According to ITV news just now, old style light bulbs are to be "banned"
by the EU.

So my bedside lamp will be made obsolete, since it has narrow fluted
glass shades which won't accomodate anything wider than an SES candle
bulb.

I'll have to start stocking up with spares...

And I thought the function of the "EU" was to promote trade, rather
than banning things.

You forget; politicians are people who are utterly convinced they
can run your life better than you can. If they can poke their noses
into something, whilst getting their hands in your wallet, so much
the better.

My favourite example is rationing in the UK which went on after WW2
for longer than the war itself had lasted. The politicians were deeply
reluctant to relinquish control.

Do you remember that dreadful synthetic orange juice?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:52:54 +0000, TheOldFellow
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It's disappointing, but I suppose not surprising when science becomes
so heavily influenced by populism rather than its core business.

Yes, both Science and Politics used to be Gentlemanly pursuits rather
than careers. Once a man's career is on the line for what he says, he's
open to the paymaster compromising his principles.

This is why I advocate an unpaid, hereditary Lords, with unpaid MPs in
the Commons (reasonable expenses paid, of course). Anyone who can't
afford to go to parliament on these terms, shouldn't be there.

R.

Yep. Completely agree.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Both applications have already been taken over by HID lamps. The same
is likely to happen with spot lamps in the home (already pretty much
completed in commercial premises). Integral ballasted metal halide
retrofit lamps are being manufactured and sold in some countries now,
but haven't found their way into UK retailers yet AFAIK.

And I'll bet you've been hunting high and low.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
and halogen hobs

Well, the purpose of that isn't for lighting.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of halogen hobs actually is. To
look good on home makeover programmes, I suppose.

I put a compact fluorescent lamp in mine to save energy and it was
rubbish.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheOldFellow
writes
Andrew Mawson wrote:
(Highly relevant to anti 4x4 lobby !!!)

Interesting documentry on channel 4 tonight about global warming. It
seems that there is very strong evidence that although CO2 levels
historically have been high when the earth warms up, the level of CO2
LAGS the temperature rise so isn't the cause, but a symptom. However
there is historically excellent evidence that earth temperature
follows sun activity. The stronger the sun activity the stronger it's
magnetic field, and the more cosmic rays are deflected away from
earth. Apparently the cosmic rays entering a water laden atmosphere
form clouds which reflect the sun, so when the cosmic rays are at a
low, so is the cloud cover and up the temperature goes. After a
considerable lag the ocean temperature rises a bit, and as CO2 is less
soluble in warm water than cold water, more is released into the
atmosphere. Apparently the volume of CO2 dissolved in the oceans and
naturally being released is orders of magnitude greater than anything
man is releasing. Small changes in sea temperature alter the balance.

AWEM

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...031455,00.html

He didn't look very duped to me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-09, Grunff wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:31:30 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Why is it that the BBC are incapable of producing original,
cutting-edge documentaries?
And how can I opt out of paying my license fee to this extremely
biased
behemoth?

Get rid of your TV set and you won't need a licence.

Even if I wanted to totally do away with watching TV (which I could
quite easily), I still like watching DVDs and playing games.

In which case you don't need a license.

(Cue the standard "Yes you do", "No you don't" argument, which I shall
completely ignore.)

If its a TV then by definition it is capable of receiving TV
transmissions
so should be licensed.

If it has the receiver disabled in some way it is not a TV so doesn't
need a
license.

Its pretty easy IMO.

Indeed. And you've got it wrong.

In what way am I wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-11, Brian L Johnson wrote:

And when I was in John Lewis's about a year ago buying a personal CD
player for my mum, I was at the counter with a bloke who was filling out
name address etc for a plasma screen he'd just bought, and...

So, yes, they do do that.

Not any more. The telly I bought last week was in JL. No-one asked for
anything. Other than money.

So you think nobody does it based on your experience of buying a TV?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As usuasl the political response is not to bite he bullet and really
attempt to change anything at all. It is to spend billions of tax payers
money coming up with an irritating law that changes almost nothing.

So you have been taken in by the hype over CO2 then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
How is reducing the CO2 output of the third world going to be done?
They don't have the same industries, etc. that we have,

That is true. For example, we now have hardly any steel production left,
while China produces around a quarter of the world's steel.

What about the other 95% of the world?

It is nearer 80%, in terms of population, but I thought that, in reply to
your original question, the second largest CO2 emitter, after the USA would
be a good place to start. However, if you prefer, we could look at India
instead, which is planning to build over 200 coal-fired power stations by
2012.

and they don't have cars.

I'll remember that next time I try to cross the road in Cairo.

Colin Bignell

How many in the rest of Africa?
Its like looking at the traffic in London and concluding that its like
that on Dartmoor.

A quarter of the population of Egypt live in its three largest cities, so
Cairo is quite representative of how a large proportion of the country live.
Given the average age of the vehicles, their emissions probably more than
make up for the lower level of vehicle ownership elsewhere.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
I'll remember that next time I try to cross the road in Cairo.

From my experience that's not a problem - they just sit there and don't
move...

Only when I'm in a taxi, wanting to get somewhere - never when I want to
cross the road.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-11, Andy Hall wrote:

Do you remember that dreadful synthetic orange juice?

Good Lord, no. Rationing was abolished the year I was born.

Likewise, although AIUI, it was phased out over a few years.

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along with
cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange juice"
because it was handed out by the welfare clinics. (nowadays I expect
they are called well-baby clinics).

Nutritionists now market cod liver oil under the Omega-3 brand which
of course makes it much more acceptable.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Mitchell writes:
In message , Huge
writes
and halogen hobs

Well, the purpose of that isn't for lighting.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of halogen hobs actually is. To
look good on home makeover programmes, I suppose.

I put a compact fluorescent lamp in mine to save energy and it was
rubbish.

Ah, but just think of all the burns this will avoid...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Williams writes:
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

And you've probably got a much better immune system as a result.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

............................... One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

And you've probably got a much better immune system as a result.

Hmm, yes. Never thought of it that way.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tony Williams writes:
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

It's one of my first memories - going with my mother to the office which
supplied the orange juice and cod liver oil. But we didn't get any
supplements by the time I went to school - only free milk.

And you've probably got a much better immune system as a result.

Rather more than that if you compare the heights etc of the baby boomer
generation to those who went before - mainly of course in poor city areas.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-11, Andy Hall wrote:

Do you remember that dreadful synthetic orange juice?

Good Lord, no. Rationing was abolished the year I was born.

Likewise, although AIUI, it was phased out over a few years.

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along with
cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange juice"
because it was handed out by the welfare clinics. (nowadays I expect
they are called well-baby clinics).

Yes...I remember that. My mum used to have to go down to an office to
collect it for my younger siblings. You had to drink it quick after
diluting it, or the orange bit all settled out at the bottom, leaving
pale orange water above it. We didn't have spoons...!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 623283 20070312 100358 Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

Wasn't it called Virol?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

Wasn't it called Virol?

That's what I though too. Did Virol have the cod liver oil in it? We had
a spoonful a day, at home. Nothing like that at school, except for the
free milk. The crates stood outside and the milk froze in the winter. In
the summer, the sun heated it up and made it disgusting. I still hate
warm milk.

My dad worked for the GPO (drove one of those green Morris vans with the
ladders on top) and he got halibut oil capsules from them. Can't
remember if they were free or not. I do remember walking up to the local
clinic to get the orange juice. National Dried Milk too, in round tins.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:06:34 +0000, Peter Twydell
wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

Wasn't it called Virol?

That's what I though too. Did Virol have the cod liver oil in it?

Virol was a bone-marrow preparation:-

http://tinyurl.com/265ne6

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:37:08 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:06:34 +0000, Peter Twydell
wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

Wasn't it called Virol?

That's what I though too. Did Virol have the cod liver oil in it?

Virol was a bone-marrow preparation:-

http://tinyurl.com/265ne6

I have a feeling in the back of my mind that Virol was a brand name
and that there was more than one product - certainly the bone marrow
one and I have a feeling, a malt one. THe product I remember didn't
taste meaty but more like fruity malt bread, so hence the association.
Of course it could have been bone marrow with malt added to make it
palatable.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:06:34 +0000, Peter Twydell
wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

However they were still handing out this stuff for kids, along
with cod liver oil. I believe it became known as "welfare orange
juice" because it was handed out by the welfare clinics.

I used to like that orange juice, and the tablespoon
of malt every day. We had to take one penny to
school every day to pay for it. One tablespoon,
tied to the 'malt cupboard' with string, and shared
by everyone in the classroom.

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

Wasn't it called Virol?

That's what I though too. Did Virol have the cod liver oil in it?

Virol was a bone-marrow preparation:-

http://tinyurl.com/265ne6

According to the page, that was the advertising used up to 1900. Don't
know if that Virol was available later, but the stuff I ate was
certainly malt extract, not bone marrow.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Clive Mitchell writes:
In message , Huge
writes
and halogen hobs

Well, the purpose of that isn't for lighting.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of halogen hobs actually is. To
look good on home makeover programmes, I suppose.

I put a compact fluorescent lamp in mine to save energy and it was
rubbish.

Ah, but just think of all the burns this will avoid...

Does a 3kW CFL run any cooler than a 3kW halogen lamp?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-13 00:08:43 +0000, "dennis@home"

Clive Mitchell writes:
In message , Huge
writes
and halogen hobs

Well, the purpose of that isn't for lighting.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of halogen hobs actually is. To
look good on home makeover programmes, I suppose.

I put a compact fluorescent lamp in mine to save energy and it was
rubbish.

Ah, but just think of all the burns this will avoid...

Does a 3kW CFL run any cooler than a 3kW halogen lamp?

The age-old question:

"Which is heavier? A kilo of feathers or a kilo of lead?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Bob Martin wrote:

Did you two mean "Cod Liver Oil and Malt" ?
I was addicted to the stuff (you can still buy it) and I also liked
Scott's Emulsion - anyone remember that?

I remember Codliveroilnmalt

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
The age-old question:

"Which is heavier? A kilo of feathers or a kilo of lead?"

Not that age old obviously or would be a pound...

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Does a 3kW CFL run any cooler than a 3kW halogen lamp?

No. But it puts out 15kW of light and lasts 10 years (apparently).

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

"Which is heavier? A kilo of feathers or a kilo of lead?"

In all likelihood, the lead[1].

[1] The masses of both may be the same, but the higher density of the
lead would probably result in its centre of gravity being closer to the
centre of the earth, hence it will weigh a little more.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Mitchell wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Does a 3kW CFL run any cooler than a 3kW halogen lamp?

No. But it puts out 15kW of light and lasts 10 years (apparently).

**** me. Its the answer to all our energy problems then, if 3KW in
produces 15KW out.

I'll take a dozen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-13 02:02:31 +0000, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

"Which is heavier? A kilo of feathers or a kilo of lead?"

In all likelihood, the lead[1].

[1] The masses of both may be the same, but the higher density of the
lead would probably result in its centre of gravity being closer to the
centre of the earth, hence it will weigh a little more.

The answer thus varying by age, IQ and type of school ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Do you think that gravitation increases or decreases as you approach
the centre of the earth? Why?

Nett gravitation, or only toward the centre of the earth?

--
Cheers,

John.