Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Global Warming and CO2 levels

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
How is reducing the CO2 output of the third world going to be done?
They don't have the same industries, etc. that we have,

That is true. For example, we now have hardly any steel production left,
while China produces around a quarter of the world's steel.

What about the other 95% of the world?

It is nearer 80%, in terms of population, but I thought that, in reply to
your original question, the second largest CO2 emitter, after the USA would
be a good place to start. However, if you prefer, we could look at India
instead, which is planning to build over 200 coal-fired power stations by
2012.

and they don't have cars.

I'll remember that next time I try to cross the road in Cairo.

Colin Bignell

How many in the rest of Africa?
Its like looking at the traffic in London and concluding that its like
that on Dartmoor.

A quarter of the population of Egypt live in its three largest cities, so
Cairo is quite representative of how a large proportion of the country live.
Given the average age of the vehicles, their emissions probably more than
make up for the lower level of vehicle ownership elsewhere.

Colin Bignell