Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless Networking Conundrum

Hello All

I have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with ADSL modem and I want to
extend the coverage to an office building that is built on the end of
my garage. If I take my notebook into the office I don't get a signal,
if however I stand at the door entrance I do get a weak signal.
I plan to install a couple of servers in the office and want these to
be connected to my wireless network and to the internet.

I have decided that I could probably purchase a Bellkin Wireless Access
Point and utilise it as a repeater. I could install this repeater in
the office building, attach an external antenna to it and then attach
this to the outside of the office wall (where there is a weak signal).
Hopefully the repeater will boost the signal. I would then simply cable
the servers into the access point.

One thing I am finding difficult to locate is a high gain aerial that
will be ok to be mounted outside on the office wall. Also the aerial
will need to have a pretty lengthy cable so I can run it accordingly.

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, will this work, and also any
ideas on where I can get an antenna from that is sutiable for this
type of application.

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since this is a DIY group, start off by trying your own. Google for
'Pringles antenna'. This is not a joke.

Damn it, you beat me to it Bob.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Does the antenna need a lengthy cable, or would it be better to situate the
transceiver outside, closer to the antenna? A single cat5e cable could
supply both power and network connectivity to the external unit.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

There is always one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

If you say so!. Not had many probs with it then ?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

The antenna needs a lengthy cable, the repeater also has a built in
hub, I think 4 ports.
I need to plug my servers into this so I would need to run 4 ethernet
cables to the unit.

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jerry wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

There is always one!

There are plenty, it's just most don't bother placing their head
above the sand bags, just like there are plenty of people who don't
believe all the latest marketing hype...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.

Tell that to people like the MOD, tell that to people who need 1000T
networks...

I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Who would answer / use the phone whilst on the loo?!...

Wireless rules.

So the marketing men keep saying, funny how they never highlight the
problems, like no or weak reception, or the ability of others to use
your (insecure) network...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm going to side with Jerry - we have extremely network intense operations
at work,
and use Cat6 1GB networks - and I don't work at an ISP!!

I'd like to see you get a 70GB disk image over a network using wireless...

(Mind you... I do get paid per hour.... lol)
The Grim Reaper

Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

Beg to differ.. especially when there is a bit of 2.4Ghz congestion.

Ever heard of netstumbler?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Grim Reaper wrote:
I'm going to side with Jerry - we have extremely network intense operations
at work,
and use Cat6 1GB networks - and I don't work at an ISP!!

I'd like to see you get a 70GB disk image over a network using wireless...

(Mind you... I do get paid per hour.... lol)
The Grim Reaper

And why would that be a problem? I have copied GB worth of files from
my server to my media centre PC without any problems at all.

Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

I spent an annoying afternoon last week installing cabling for wired
ethernet because it still has many advantages over wireless. Mainly it's
more reliable and provided your portal to the outside world is secure
it's as tight as a duck's arse.

I know wireless can be secured, but there's always the chance of getting
it wrong, or of the kids starting to explore and move things around.
That can't happen with wired.

Oh, and it's cheaper. Adding two more PCs cost me under £20, though to
do that I had to scrounge a switch as I've used all four ports on my
router.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since this is a DIY group, start off by trying your own. Google for
'Pringles antenna'. This is not a joke.

"cantenna"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

Beg to differ.. especially when there is a bit of 2.4Ghz congestion.

Ever heard of 802.11a?

Ever heard of netstumbler?..

Encryption.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

The antenna needs a lengthy cable, the repeater also has a built in
hub, I think 4 ports.
I need to plug my servers into this so I would need to run 4 ethernet
cables to the unit.

Buy a cheap switch and run one cable from there to a wireless bridge.
Mount the wireless bridge in a water proof plastic box on the wall outside.
If needed do the same with an access point at the other (router) end.

HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug 2006 10:35:59 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with ADSL modem

Presumably the radio network works fine throughout the house.

and I want to
extend the coverage to an office building that is built on the end of
my garage. If I take my notebook into the office I don't get a signal,
if however I stand at the door entrance I do get a weak signal.
I plan to install a couple of servers in the office and want these to
be connected to my wireless network and to the internet.

Is it important that the servers are always accessible, or are they
just for leisure purposes? A bodge that might be acceptable for
leisure purposes is probably not going to be acceptable if the
servers must be relied on.

I have decided that I could probably purchase a Bellkin Wireless Access
Point and utilise it as a repeater. I could install this repeater in
the office building, attach an external antenna to it and then attach
this to the outside of the office wall (where there is a weak signal).

If there is a weak signal then there are probably two things that
one can say about it:

1) it will be subject to transmission errors.

2) speed will be low in an attempt to cope with 1).

If these servers are to be relied on then it is best to install a
reliable method of networking over such distances. The best way of
doing this is usually by cable, though a dedicated radio link
between the two buildings (dedicated access points at each end,
dedicated aerials) can be a better bet in a few circumstances.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

If uyopu want your private e-mail broadcast round the neighborhood...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

The Grim Reaper wrote:
I'm going to side with Jerry - we have extremely network intense

operations
at work,
and use Cat6 1GB networks - and I don't work at an ISP!!

I'd like to see you get a 70GB disk image over a network using

wireless...

(Mind you... I do get paid per hour.... lol)
The Grim Reaper

And why would that be a problem? I have copied GB worth of files

from
my server to my media centre PC without any problems at all.

It's not the transfer but the time it takes, also if the file is
needed in real time (such as a video file) you just can't do it, you
will either have dropped frames of the application will crash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

Beg to differ.. especially when there is a bit of 2.4Ghz congestion.

Ever heard of 802.11a?

Yes in all its flavours!..

Ever heard of netstumbler?..

Encryption.

Yes bin there.. broke that!..

As part of the day job we have strung 1.4, 2.4, and 5.8, 7, and 23 Ghz
links across short and quite lengthy distances.

If you possibly can, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, wire it.
I have yet to see an operational link thats anywhere near as good as
wired and with the proliferation of 2.4 Ghz devices and leaky microwave
ovens, one of the prime suspects, plus video senders etc none of these
units seem to ever achieve all what it sez on the tin!. If you must have
wireless consider it useful for temporary connections and nothing much
else..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug 2006 10:35:59 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Hi,

In the short term you colud try a USB adapter with your laptop that
has decent receive sensitivity, eg (this is the one I have):

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3CRUSB10075&pathtype=p urchase
http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/products/en_US/400871.pdf

In the long term if spending out on servers I'd get a MIMO
modem/router and access point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-input_multiple-output
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=mimo&btnG=Search+Froogle

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gort" wrote in message
news

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

If you say so!. Not had many probs with it then ?

My son-in-law says he can get a wireless connection anywhere, but he
obviously hasn't tried the places I've tried!(:-(

Alan

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like Jerry said - it's the time it takes - we do have other things to do
during the day!!

Besides - the networks are under constant use from PLC control busses,
safety busses, Windows farting around with it's domain identities - never
mind people logging on and off, people disconnecting and reconnecting
devices... you name it - they try and use it to break my networks!!
_________________________________
The Grim Reaper

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jerry wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, snip

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
"dennis@home" writes
Ever heard of netstumbler?..

Encryption.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Don't even think of saying WPA,

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=369221&rl=1

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Ever heard of netstumbler?..

Encryption.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Don't even think of saying WPA,

I was thinking of ipsec tunnels myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
"dennis@home" writes
Encryption.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Don't even think of saying WPA,

I was thinking of ipsec tunnels myself.

Yeah, cause your average joe even knows what IPsec, let alone has the
expertise to set one up. The majority of users don't even know how to
set up the router, encryption doesn't even appear on their horizon.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
snip

encryption doesn't even appear on their horizon.

I doubt it's even in their people vocabulary, never mind horizon...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

The antenna needs a lengthy cable, the repeater also has a built in
hub, I think 4 ports.
I need to plug my servers into this so I would need to run 4 ethernet
cables to the unit.

Buy a cheap switch and run one cable from there to a wireless bridge.
Mount the wireless bridge in a water proof plastic box on the wall outside.
If needed do the same with an access point at the other (router) end.

HTH.

Thanks Dennis, good idea. I will go for this solution