Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] r.rain@btinternet.com is offline

Default Wireless Networking Conundrum

Jason wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All

I have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with ADSL modem and I want to
extend the coverage to an office building that is built on the end of
my garage. If I take my notebook into the office I don't get a signal,
if however I stand at the door entrance I do get a weak signal.
I plan to install a couple of servers in the office and want these to
be connected to my wireless network and to the internet.

I have decided that I could probably purchase a Bellkin Wireless Access
Point and utilise it as a repeater. I could install this repeater in
the office building, attach an external antenna to it and then attach
this to the outside of the office wall (where there is a weak signal).
Hopefully the repeater will boost the signal. I would then simply cable
the servers into the access point.

One thing I am finding difficult to locate is a high gain aerial that
will be ok to be mounted outside on the office wall. Also the aerial
will need to have a pretty lengthy cable so I can run it accordingly.

Does the antenna need a lengthy cable, or would it be better to situate the
transceiver outside, closer to the antenna? A single cat5e cable could
supply both power and network connectivity to the external unit.

-- JJ

The antenna needs a lengthy cable, the repeater also has a built in
hub, I think 4 ports.
I need to plug my servers into this so I would need to run 4 ethernet
cables to the unit.

Cheers

Richard