Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] r.rain@btinternet.com is offline

Default Wireless Networking Conundrum

Timothy Murphy wrote:
wrote:

I have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with ADSL modem and I want to
extend the coverage to an office building that is built on the end of
my garage. If I take my notebook into the office I don't get a signal,
if however I stand at the door entrance I do get a weak signal.
I plan to install a couple of servers in the office and want these to
be connected to my wireless network and to the internet.

What distance are you talking about?

about 25 metres from the router to the office. If I put the router on
the outside window cill I don't get a problem, however it cannot stay
there and has to be inside the house. When it is inside the office is
several walls away internal and external.

What is the office made of?

Brick, although the house is made of stone and brick, with plaster and
lathe and solid internal walls

Cheers

Richard

Moving the router a little might have some effect.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie