Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King Guy King is offline

Default Wireless Networking Conundrum

The message
from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo.
I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

I spent an annoying afternoon last week installing cabling for wired
ethernet because it still has many advantages over wireless. Mainly it's
more reliable and provided your portal to the outside world is secure
it's as tight as a duck's arse.

I know wireless can be secured, but there's always the chance of getting
it wrong, or of the kids starting to explore and move things around.
That can't happen with wired.

Oh, and it's cheaper. Adding two more PCs cost me under £20, though to
do that I had to scrounge a switch as I've used all four ports on my
router.

--
Skipweasel