Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Wireless Networking Conundrum

On 19 Aug 2006 10:35:59 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with ADSL modem

Presumably the radio network works fine throughout the house.

and I want to
extend the coverage to an office building that is built on the end of
my garage. If I take my notebook into the office I don't get a signal,
if however I stand at the door entrance I do get a weak signal.
I plan to install a couple of servers in the office and want these to
be connected to my wireless network and to the internet.

Is it important that the servers are always accessible, or are they
just for leisure purposes? A bodge that might be acceptable for
leisure purposes is probably not going to be acceptable if the
servers must be relied on.

I have decided that I could probably purchase a Bellkin Wireless Access
Point and utilise it as a repeater. I could install this repeater in
the office building, attach an external antenna to it and then attach
this to the outside of the office wall (where there is a weak signal).

If there is a weak signal then there are probably two things that
one can say about it:

1) it will be subject to transmission errors.

2) speed will be low in an attempt to cope with 1).

If these servers are to be relied on then it is best to install a
reliable method of networking over such distances. The best way of
doing this is usually by cable, though a dedicated radio link
between the two buildings (dedicated access points at each end,
dedicated aerials) can be a better bet in a few circumstances.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh