Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting the outside of a house

I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap steps?
I did not used to have a problem with heights, and don't remember steps
wobbling so much.

Are the any extendable tools which I can use like an extendable paint pole
to not only allow me to paint the walls, but sand down the soffits and paint
them as well as clean the walls prior to painting?

Alternatively what are the views of scaffolding? I.e. ease of use, and cost
(I mean to buy not rent) ?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

wrote in message
[...]

Regarding bouncy ladders, I think there are 3 different classes of ladders,
although I can't remember the names. As you go up through the classes, the
ladders become heavier, stronger, more durable, less bouncy, and (a bit)
more expensive. I've got a 2-section ladder from the lightest class, and
it's alarmingly bouncy, but very easy to lift into position.

You can also buy ladder stand-offs to fit to the top of the ladder, which
make the whole thing a bit more stable.

I'm also considering painting the outside of my house, and I'm contemplating
the scaffolding tower sold by Screwfix, which seems to provide a platform at
6 metres for about £1500 - probably cheaper than paying someone to paint my
house, and I get to keep the tower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Simon wrote:

I'm also considering painting the outside of my house, and I'm
contemplating the scaffolding tower sold by Screwfix, which seems to
provide a platform at 6 metres for about £1500 - probably cheaper
than paying someone to paint my house, and I get to keep the tower.

Dearest one I can see at 6.1 m is?...

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:
I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap steps?
I did not used to have a problem with heights, and don't remember steps
wobbling so much.

Are the any extendable tools which I can use like an extendable paint pole
to not only allow me to paint the walls, but sand down the soffits and paint
them as well as clean the walls prior to painting?

Alternatively what are the views of scaffolding? I.e. ease of use, and cost
(I mean to buy not rent) ?

Thanks

6 steps isn't very far is it? :-) Not being rude, but chances are you'll
also freeze on the ladder to get up to the scaffolding or tower). My
neighbour had one delivered this morning and all he's done so far is
grit his teeth and stare at it. Could have done the job off a ladder in
the time it takes to erect the bloody thing.
Anyway, all ladders bounce, and all towers move so, unless you feel the
need to overcome your fears for personal reasons (which isn't a bad idea
if you're young) I'd forget the preparation and soffits and use a
extendable roller. It means you'll coat the bottom edge of the soffit
but what the hell.
IME everyone has their threshold for heights. After 30 odd years I still
**** myself when I'm higher than I've been before, but then I come down
a rung and feel as right as rain. All in the mind.
Bear in mind also that there are really 3 thresholds. How high can I go,
how high can I go and use one hand, and how high can I go and use both
hands. Having your nose pressed against something doesn't mean you can
paint it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Simon wrote:

I'm also considering painting the outside of my house, and I'm
contemplating the scaffolding tower sold by Screwfix, which seems to
provide a platform at 6 metres for about £1500 - probably cheaper
than paying someone to paint my house, and I get to keep the tower.

Dearest one I can see at 6.1 m is?...

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

That's the one. By the time you've bought all the bits it would cost about
£1600. OTOH, if it takes ages to erect and move, a ladder would be more
convenient, but the gable ends of my house are about 7 metres above the
ground, which seems a bit high for a ladder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Stuart Noble wrote:

IME everyone has their threshold for heights. After 30 odd years I
still **** myself when I'm higher than I've been before, but then I
come down a rung and feel as right as rain. All in the mind.
Bear in mind also that there are really 3 thresholds. How high can I
go, how high can I go and use one hand, and how high can I go and use
both hands. Having your nose pressed against something doesn't mean
you can paint it.

Reminds me of some bloke on a paint job and he was 15ft up with me holding
the ladder...he froze and shouted...I'm stuck he shouted...what do you mean
your stuck...I'm f'cking stuck you silly b'stard...in the end I had to call
the fire brigade out. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote in message
I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap steps?

Almost certainly that was a domestic grade ladder and it is also unlikely to
have been maintained or tested since bought. Industrial Class 1 ladders
don't bounce, even under my weight, which is more than the safe working load
of a domestic grade ladder. If you hire a ladder from a tool shop, it ought
to be Class 1. However, simply for the ease of working, I would prefer to
have a house scaffolded if I were planning to do extensive work on the
outside. There is a very limited area you can reach from a ladder and you
need to keep moving it to do the next bit. Working from a scaffold is both
easier and safer.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Simon wrote:

I'm also considering painting the outside of my house, and I'm
contemplating the scaffolding tower sold by Screwfix, which seems to
provide a platform at 6 metres for about £1500 - probably cheaper
than paying someone to paint my house, and I get to keep the tower.

Dearest one I can see at 6.1 m is?...

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

That's the one. By the time you've bought all the bits it would cost about
£1600. OTOH, if it takes ages to erect and move, a ladder would be more
convenient, but the gable ends of my house are about 7 metres above the
ground, which seems a bit high for a ladder.

Piece of cake if you've got the space to stand the ladder at a decent
angle. My gable's higher than that and I have a fence 6ft away, which
makes it slightly steeper than I'd like. If you can get up with a small
brush (albeit on a stick) and do the edges, you can roller the rest. A 3
x 10 ft lightweight ladder is easy for one person to move about and push
up, but hire ladders are usually heavier
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

nightjar wrote:
However, simply for the ease of working, I would prefer to
have a house scaffolded if I were planning to do extensive work on the
outside.

And what would the ballpark figure be for such a hire (I know its a
vague question)?
Reason I ask: we have a long dormer window whose wood needs painted
and a ladder
would just be bl**dy inconvenient. At a guess the dormer window length
is
about six metres or so.
So for (say) one weeks hire of scaffold, what rough price would it cost
to get some
scaffolders in and let them have the hassle?
And/or is there any guidance or things I should look out for - for
example, if the
week I get the scaffold for changes so that it p*sses with rain (and
hence I cannot paint)
is there anything I ought to ask up front to extend the hire?

Thanks in advance

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:36:35 +0100, "Simon"
wrote:

wrote in message
| I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
| (ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
| Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
| the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
| steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap
|steps?
| I did not used to have a problem with heights, and don't remember steps
| wobbling so much.
|
| Are the any extendable tools which I can use like an extendable paint pole
| to not only allow me to paint the walls, but sand down the soffits and
|paint
| them as well as clean the walls prior to painting?
|

| Alternatively what are the views of scaffolding? I.e. ease of use, and
|cost
| (I mean to buy not rent) ?
|

| Thanks
|
|Regarding bouncy ladders, I think there are 3 different classes of ladders,
|although I can't remember the names. As you go up through the classes, the
|ladders become heavier, stronger, more durable, less bouncy, and (a bit)
|more expensive. I've got a 2-section ladder from the lightest class, and
|it's alarmingly bouncy, but very easy to lift into position.

Self preservation won out over my Yorkshire open handedness ;-)
My professional three section ladder is not bouncy at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo wrote:
And what would the ballpark figure be for such a hire (I know its a
vague question)?

If you go for an access tower (like SGB Boss) rather than scaffolding -
something around £100-£150/week for a 7m working height tower. Some
outfits may have delivery/collection charges on top, if you can't
transport it.

Access towers are great if you have flat hardstanding around your
house, otherwise it may require partial dismantling to move. Ask the
hire service about erecting them safely if you're not sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
[...]

Personally I find even erecting scaffold tower worse than going up a good
strong ladder to do some work.

..
IME everyone has their threshold for heights. After 30 odd years I still
**** myself when I'm higher than I've been before, but then I come down a
rung and feel as right as rain. All in the mind.

I feel more confident to go higher when certain people foot the ladder. I
always use someone strong enough to support the ladder and who has the
knowledge to shout up if they think something is wrong with either the
ladders footing or my positioning on the ladder and not just stand there
like a t**t.

Bear in mind also that there are really 3 thresholds. How high can I go,
how high can I go and use one hand, and how high can I go and use both
hands. Having your nose pressed against something doesn't mean you can
paint it.

I like that analysis

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:56:15 +0100, wrote:

I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap steps?
I did not used to have a problem with heights, and don't remember steps
wobbling so much.

I never "liked" heights but I spent many years walking around on
pitched roofs and standing atop ladders working on guttering , fascias
and soffits. Then, after my mid-life crisis (which lasted about 40
years) I found myself getting the shakes when doing ladder work. I
even woke up in sweats after dreaming about the ascent.
Being the psychological oddity that I am, I took this as a sign that I
should do as much ladder climbing as I possibly could. I think I
managed to burn out the inconvenient "sensitivity" this way, so I'm OK
with going up ladders now.

I have used scaffold towers and they are convenient in their way, but
costly and time consuming to assemble.
I bought a Wickes triple extension "Trade" ladder to work on my
current house. It's of a very solid and heavy construction, so little
bounce there. I wouldn't recommend these particular ladders though,
I was really annoyed when I found that the flimsy plastic coverings
soon broke and fell off the hooks (or brackets) that hold each
extension in place at the top of the one beneath, leaving unpleasant
aluminium to aluminium sliding contact.
Are the any extendable tools which I can use like an extendable paint pole
to not only allow me to paint the walls, but sand down the soffits and paint
them as well as clean the walls prior to painting?

Alternatively what are the views of scaffolding? I.e. ease of use, and cost
(I mean to buy not rent) ?

Thanks

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Mungo wrote:
nightjar wrote:

[...]

Couple of hundred quid in the south east. You probably won't have any
trouble extending the hire. The problem is usually getting them to take
it down until they have another job to take it to. Double handling is a
killer for scaffolding firms.
The advantage over towers is that they assemble it to give you best
access to whatever you're doing. The endless bars and supports on towers
can really get in your way

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...

nightjar wrote:
[...]

A few years back, it cost me £400 for a month's hire on scaffolding around a
five bedroom detached house, which included bridging a rear lean-to
extension. The house was rendered and needed to be painted from top to
bottom. I only wanted the scaffolding for a fortnight, but one month was the
minimum hire period. The scaffolder explained that, as most of the cost was
in putting it up and, to a lesser extent, taking it down again, he would
have to charge the same for one week as for one month, so he never bothered
with shorter hire periods.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote in message ...
Is it possible to obtain and use your own scaffolding at reasonable rates,
or
is it subject to something like prat P.

Erecting scaffolding is a highly skilled job and I would not want to go up
on one that has not been erected by an expert.

Colin Bignell