Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

Default Painting the outside of a house

wrote in message
I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap

steps?
I did not used to have a problem with heights, and don't remember steps
wobbling so much.

Are the any extendable tools which I can use like an extendable paint pole
to not only allow me to paint the walls, but sand down the soffits and

paint
them as well as clean the walls prior to painting?

Alternatively what are the views of scaffolding? I.e. ease of use, and

cost
(I mean to buy not rent) ?

Thanks

Regarding bouncy ladders, I think there are 3 different classes of ladders,
although I can't remember the names. As you go up through the classes, the
ladders become heavier, stronger, more durable, less bouncy, and (a bit)
more expensive. I've got a 2-section ladder from the lightest class, and
it's alarmingly bouncy, but very easy to lift into position.

You can also buy ladder stand-offs to fit to the top of the ladder, which
make the whole thing a bit more stable.

I'm also considering painting the outside of my house, and I'm contemplating
the scaffolding tower sold by Screwfix, which seems to provide a platform at
6 metres for about £1500 - probably cheaper than paying someone to paint my
house, and I get to keep the tower.