Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default Painting the outside of a house

wrote in message
I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap steps?

Almost certainly that was a domestic grade ladder and it is also unlikely to
have been maintained or tested since bought. Industrial Class 1 ladders
don't bounce, even under my weight, which is more than the safe working load
of a domestic grade ladder. If you hire a ladder from a tool shop, it ought
to be Class 1. However, simply for the ease of working, I would prefer to
have a house scaffolded if I were planning to do extensive work on the
outside. There is a very limited area you can reach from a ladder and you
need to keep moving it to do the next bit. Working from a scaffold is both
easier and safer.

Colin Bignell