Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default Painting the outside of a house

wrote:
I am looking to paint the outside of my 1960's semi detached two story
(ground and first floors) house, including the suffits under the gutters.
Problem is I don't like heights, tried a set of he neighbours ladders and
the wobbled so much I got about 6 steps up before freezing in fear (the
steps just appeared to bounce too much) could these have been cheap steps?
I did not used to have a problem with heights, and don't remember steps
wobbling so much.

Are the any extendable tools which I can use like an extendable paint pole
to not only allow me to paint the walls, but sand down the soffits and paint
them as well as clean the walls prior to painting?

Alternatively what are the views of scaffolding? I.e. ease of use, and cost
(I mean to buy not rent) ?

Thanks

6 steps isn't very far is it? :-) Not being rude, but chances are you'll
also freeze on the ladder to get up to the scaffolding or tower). My
neighbour had one delivered this morning and all he's done so far is
grit his teeth and stare at it. Could have done the job off a ladder in
the time it takes to erect the bloody thing.
Anyway, all ladders bounce, and all towers move so, unless you feel the
need to overcome your fears for personal reasons (which isn't a bad idea
if you're young) I'd forget the preparation and soffits and use a
extendable roller. It means you'll coat the bottom edge of the soffit
but what the hell.
IME everyone has their threshold for heights. After 30 odd years I still
**** myself when I'm higher than I've been before, but then I come down
a rung and feel as right as rain. All in the mind.
Bear in mind also that there are really 3 thresholds. How high can I go,
how high can I go and use one hand, and how high can I go and use both
hands. Having your nose pressed against something doesn't mean you can
paint it.