Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default Painting the outside of a house

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...

nightjar wrote:
However, simply for the ease of working, I would prefer to
have a house scaffolded if I were planning to do extensive work on the
outside.

And what would the ballpark figure be for such a hire (I know its a
vague question)?
Reason I ask: we have a long dormer window whose wood needs painted
and a ladder
would just be bl**dy inconvenient. At a guess the dormer window length
is
about six metres or so.
So for (say) one weeks hire of scaffold, what rough price would it cost
to get some
scaffolders in and let them have the hassle?
And/or is there any guidance or things I should look out for - for
example, if the
week I get the scaffold for changes so that it p*sses with rain (and
hence I cannot paint)
is there anything I ought to ask up front to extend the hire?

A few years back, it cost me £400 for a month's hire on scaffolding around a
five bedroom detached house, which included bridging a rear lean-to
extension. The house was rendered and needed to be painted from top to
bottom. I only wanted the scaffolding for a fortnight, but one month was the
minimum hire period. The scaffolder explained that, as most of the cost was
in putting it up and, to a lesser extent, taking it down again, he would
have to charge the same for one week as for one month, so he never bothered
with shorter hire periods.

Colin Bignell