Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

Default Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap?

In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.

See "Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?"
Google groups = http://tinyurl.com/oqdya
direct =

However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Maybe, jus maybe, water from the hot tap in the bathroom is safer than
from the cold? The following post in the original thread started off
my line of thinking:

On 05 May 2006, Dave Plowman wrote in the original thread:

... but do you really want to drink water that has
been held nice and warm with a selection of dead spiders, flies,
bats, rodents and other loft inhabitants in it?

how often do people have to be told the tank should have an
approved cover and venting to prevent this?

It's not just drinking the stuff. If you shower or have a bath,
there's a good chance you'll get some of that water in your mouth
and eyes, etc. So it should be to a decent standard - not from the
graveyard of assorted species through your neglect.

My own hot water tank is in the roofspace and it gets a feed from the
rising water main to the house and the tank has a tight fitting cover.

However the cold water tank in my roofspace is much older and had a
damaged top and I can see the base of the tank is full of crud.

It seems that I am nrushing my teeth using water from the worse one !!!

This must be true in millions of households. Many have a heating system
like mine with hot & cold tanks in their roofspace plus a hot water
cylinder. {1}. And maybe they too have their cold water in the bathroom
supplied from their tank in the roofspace.

In an old house the heating system is quite likely to be much newer (say
five to 10 years) that the cold water system (say 30 to 40 years).

In future, should I use the hot water tap (before the water runs too
hot!) to brush my teeth?

Thanks for any feedback
Ravid

--

sci.med.nuitrition added
original cross-list = uk.food+drink.misc uk.d-i-y sci.chem

{1} open-vented fully-pumped system fitted with combined feed & vent
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 06 May 2006 11:02:15 +0100, David P wrote:

|In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
|of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
|faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.
|

|See "Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?"
|Google groups = http://tinyurl.com/oqdya
|direct =
|

|However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
|teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.
|
|Maybe, jus maybe, water from the hot tap in the bathroom is safer than
|from the cold? The following post in the original thread started off
|my line of thinking:
|
|On 05 May 2006, Dave Plowman wrote in the original thread:
|
| ... but do you really want to drink water that has
| been held nice and warm with a selection of dead spiders, flies,
| bats, rodents and other loft inhabitants in it?
|
| how often do people have to be told the tank should have an
| approved cover and venting to prevent this?
|
| It's not just drinking the stuff. If you shower or have a bath,
| there's a good chance you'll get some of that water in your mouth
| and eyes, etc. So it should be to a decent standard - not from the
| graveyard of assorted species through your neglect.
|

|My own hot water tank is in the roofspace and it gets a feed from the
|rising water main to the house and the tank has a tight fitting cover.
|
|However the cold water tank in my roofspace is much older and had a
|damaged top and I can see the base of the tank is full of crud.
|
|It seems that I am nrushing my teeth using water from the worse one !!!
|
|This must be true in millions of households. Many have a heating system
|like mine with hot & cold tanks in their roofspace plus a hot water
|cylinder. {1}. And maybe they too have their cold water in the bathroom
|supplied from their tank in the roofspace.
|
|In an old house the heating system is quite likely to be much newer (say
|five to 10 years) that the cold water system (say 30 to 40 years).
|
|In future, should I use the hot water tap (before the water runs too
|hot!) to brush my teeth?

Stop worrying, the risks either way are minimal. One does not drink a lot
of water when brushing your teeth.

If you want to avoid all risk stay in bed, which incidentally is more risky
than getting up.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David P wrote:
My own hot water tank is in the roofspace and it gets a feed from the
rising water main to the house and the tank has a tight fitting cover.

However the cold water tank in my roofspace is much older and had a
damaged top and I can see the base of the tank is full of crud.

It seems that I am nrushing my teeth using water from the worse one !!!

This must be true in millions of households. Many have a heating system
like mine with hot & cold tanks in their roofspace plus a hot water
cylinder. {1}. And maybe they too have their cold water in the bathroom
supplied from their tank in the roofspace.

I've never seen an installation in a house with separate header tanks for
hot and cold.

The bathroom basin should be really be fed with mains cold water, though.
Baths and showers off the header tank to get adequate flow.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Jeff

"David P" wrote in message
In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.

No, you safer using cold water for drinking and cooking.

Hot water contains more lead because the water sits around more and lead
enters hot water faster.

Besides, why would you risk burns with hot water when cold is right there?

Jeff

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Bookworm

David P wrote:
In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.

See "Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?"
Google groups = http://tinyurl.com/oqdya
direct =

However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Maybe, jus maybe, water from the hot tap in the bathroom is safer than
from the cold? The following post in the original thread started off
my line of thinking:

Legionella is endemic in all water supplies at below 60C, (HSE Leaflet)

Legionella thrives (grows) at between 20C & 50C (HSE L8 Code of
Practice)

Do a google search on Legionella and then see if you want to clean your
teeth in water that has stood around for some time.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
tony sayer

In future, should I use the hot water tap (before the water runs too
hot!) to brush my teeth?

Thanks for any feedback
Ravid

Gives your immune system a good workout!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Tim S

tony sayer wrote:

In future, should I use the hot water tap (before the water runs too
hot!) to brush my teeth?

Thanks for any feedback
Ravid

Gives your immune system a good workout!.....

Back in 1997, before I went to the Baltics, I drank increasing amounts
of cold-tank water for a few weeks. The tank was in a cupboard, not the roof
so not very smelly.

My theory was, a few bugs would be a good thing. Don;t know how if it made
any difference, but I was drinking small amounts of water from soviet
plumbing and directly from countryside wells with no ill effect.

The woolly asbestos (probably) I found while nosing in a riser cupboard gave
me more of a start!

Tim
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Chris Bacon

David P wrote:
In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.

See "Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?"
Google groups = http://tinyurl.com/oqdya
direct =

However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

It's fine, and has been gone through before on uk.d-i-y, a Google
or similar will show you. Your links don't work.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Chris Bacon

Weatherlawyer wrote:
David P wrote:

However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Use caustic soda for excellent results.

Some toothpaste (e.g. Maclean's Whitening, which I have some of
in the cupboard) does contain caustic soda.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Ophelia

"Owain" wrote in message
No. Apart from the *warm* water being more likely to have bacterial or
other contamination, the warm water will soften the bristles of your
toothbrush, which means they will be less effective against plaque and gum
disease, and all your teeth will fall out of your bleeding septic
gingivae.

Ewwwwwwww Owain! You certainly have a way with words

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
nightjar

"David P" wrote in message
However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom. ...

That is why the cold tap to the hand basin in my bathroom complies with the
requirements for a tap that supplies drinking water.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Roger Mills

"David P" wrote in message
However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush
their teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom. ...

That is why the cold tap to the hand basin in my bathroom complies
with the requirements for a tap that supplies drinking water.

Colin Bignell

Indeed. I would not be happy to clean my teeth with water from *any* tap
which wasn't directly mains fed. If my hand-basins had cold supplies from
attic tanks (which they don't!), I'd use a jug of water from a mains
supply - such as the kitchen tap, or even bottled water.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition

David P wrote:

Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Why use water to clean teeth at all? I don't (...and no crack about
using whisky, please). Apply toothpaste to dry brush, brush teeth,
spit into sink, then wash remains away with a small amount of water,
also used to rinse brush, which is then air-dried. Do twice daily after
meals.

I started doing this after visiting Africa and seeing at first hand
what people had to go through to get 'water' - actually muddy polluted
muck - to use for drinking, cooking and cleaning; then learning how
much water is wasted by people leaving taps running while brushing
teeth during a not-so-recent water shortage.

On my recent visit to a dentist, he complimented me on my teeth, and
expressed surprise that I hadn't seen a dentist for over 10 years - my
teeth were as good as those who had regular 6-monthly check-ups. I
simply needed a 25-year old filling replaced.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about what lives on the average
toothbrush.

Cheers,

Sid

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Adrian Tupper

"Roger Mills" wrote in
:

"David P" wrote in message
However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush
their teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom. ...

That is why the cold tap to the hand basin in my bathroom complies
with the requirements for a tap that supplies drinking water.

Colin Bignell

Indeed. I would not be happy to clean my teeth with water from *any*
tap which wasn't directly mains fed. If my hand-basins had cold
supplies from attic tanks (which they don't!), I'd use a jug of water
from a mains supply - such as the kitchen tap, or even bottled water.

I'm wondering how on earth I'm still alive.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Derek ^

On 6 May 2006 09:54:01 -0700, wrote:

David P wrote:

Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Why use water to clean teeth at all? I don't (...and no crack about
using whisky, please). Apply toothpaste to dry brush, brush teeth,
spit into sink, then wash remains away with a small amount of water,
also used to rinse brush, which is then air-dried. Do twice daily after
meals.

That's OTT.

Do it once per 24 hours and mouthwash with Chlorhexidine.

The bugs can't multiply enough in 24 Hr or less to establish a colony.
even with a margin for error, ( a single late or missed session).

I started doing this after visiting Africa and seeing at first hand
what people had to go through to get 'water' - actually muddy polluted
muck - to use for drinking, cooking and cleaning; then learning how
much water is wasted by people leaving taps running while brushing
teeth during a not-so-recent water shortage.

On my recent visit to a dentist, he complimented me on my teeth, and
expressed surprise that I hadn't seen a dentist for over 10 years - my
teeth were as good as those who had regular 6-monthly check-ups. I
simply needed a 25-year old filling replaced.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about what lives on the average
toothbrush.

Put it in the dishwasher regularly to sterilise it.

DG

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Ophelia

"Adrian Tupper" wrote in
message ...
"Roger Mills" wrote in
:

Indeed. I would not be happy to clean my teeth with water from *any*
tap which wasn't directly mains fed. If my hand-basins had cold
supplies from attic tanks (which they don't!), I'd use a jug of water
from a mains supply - such as the kitchen tap, or even bottled water.

I'm wondering how on earth I'm still alive.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
The Natural Philosopher

Jeff wrote:
"David P" wrote in message
In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.

No, you safer using cold water for drinking and cooking.

Hot water contains more lead because the water sits around more and lead
enters hot water faster.

That's why you have to ear a tinfoil hat when making soup.

What lead?
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

On 06 May 2006, wrote:

"David P" wrote in message
[...]

No, you safer using cold water for drinking and cooking.

Hot water contains more lead because the water sits around more and
lead enters hot water faster.

Besides, why would you risk burns with hot water when cold is right
there?

Er, you have missed a couple of things. The water from the hot water
tap is not so hot as to burn.

The cold water tap, as I said, is from a tank.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

On 06 May 2006, wrote:

David P wrote:
[...]

Legionella is endemic in all water supplies at below 60C, (HSE
Leaflet)

Legionella thrives (grows) at between 20C & 50C (HSE L8 Code of
Practice)

Do a google search on Legionella and then see if you want to clean
your teeth in water that has stood around for some time.

And yet that is exactly what I have got in the bathroom.

To repeat:
the hot water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace
the cold water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace

There is no mains water at all in the bathroom.
Neither in the cold tap for the basin nor in the cold tap for the bath.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

On 06 May 2006, Chris wrote:

David P wrote:
In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make
a cup of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water
tap (US: faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic
kitchen kettle.

See "Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?"
Google groups = http://tinyurl.com/oqdya
direct =

However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush
their teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

It's fine, and has been gone through before on uk.d-i-y, a Google
or similar will show you. Your links don't work.

The Google link I gave works fine.

The news: link may not work on some configurations as its
implementation is not fully standardised and that's why I gave both.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

On 06 May 2006, wrote:

David P wrote:
My own hot water tank is in the roofspace and it gets a feed from
the rising water main to the house and the tank has a tight
fitting cover.

That's a cold water tank that supplies both cold and hot taps in
the house. If it gets hot there is something seriously wrong with
your heating system and you need to get it seen to before a tankful
of boiling water descends through your ceiling killing you (as has
happened)

However the cold water tank in my roofspace is much older and had
a damaged top and I can see the base of the tank is full of crud.

That should be the central heating header tank and if it's also
full of crud there's a liklihood your CH is too and needs cleaning
out and inhibitor added.

I think you have gor my setup wrong.

There is a cold tank in the roofspace which feeds all cold taps
(except the one in the kitchen). It is refilled from the rising
main.

There is a hot water tank in the roofspace which feeds all hot taps.
It is refilled from the rising main and not from the cold water tank.

And then, as you mention the heating header tank, there is the
heating header tank for feed/expansion of the boiler heating circuit.
That too is in topped up (if necessary) from the rising main. It is
best to ignore this tank as it is a red herring.

This must be true in millions of households. Many have a heating
system like mine with hot & cold tanks in their roofspace plus a
hot water cylinder. {1}. And maybe they too have their cold water
in the bathroom supplied from their tank in the roofspace.

Provided you have a fairly frequent turnover of water in the tank
it should be fine. However, if you've been on holiday for several
weeks in warm weather I would suggest running a few bathfuls of
water first to freshen the tank.

In future, should I use the hot water tap (before the water runs
too hot!) to brush my teeth?

No. Apart from the *warm* water being more likely to have bacterial
or other contamination, the warm water will soften the bristles of
your toothbrush, which means they will be less effective against
plaque and gum disease, and all your teeth will fall out of your
bleeding septic gingivae.

I use nylon toothbrushes.

Owain

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

On 06 May 2006, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com
wrote:

"David P" wrote in message
However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush
their teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom. ...

That is why the cold tap to the hand basin in my bathroom complies
with the requirements for a tap that supplies drinking water.

Coilin, can you please clarify.

You don't actually say it but are you suggesting that there is a reg
which requires the cold water tap in the bathroom basin to be fed from
the rising main?
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David P

On 06 May 2006, wrote:

David P wrote:

Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Why use water to clean teeth at all? I don't (...and no crack
about using whisky, please). Apply toothpaste to dry brush, brush
teeth, spit into sink, then wash remains away with a small amount
of water,

Um, that's the water we are talking about. Most people might use a
slightly larger but still small amount.

also used to rinse brush, which is then air-dried.

Ditto. it makes not difference does it if the brush is rinsed in a
lot of water or a little because the water left after shaking is
going to be the same quantity.

Do twice daily after meals.

I started doing this after visiting Africa and seeing at first hand
what people had to go through to get 'water' - actually muddy
polluted muck - to use for drinking, cooking and cleaning; then
learning how much water is wasted by people leaving taps running
while brushing teeth during a not-so-recent water shortage.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Neryl Chyphes

I clean my teeth with cold water (no toothpaste on the toothbrush). Then rinse.

Then clean again with toothpaste on the brush. Then rinse.

No sure where the habit came from.

Works for me.

N.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Chris Bacon

David P wrote:
Bookworm wrote:
Do a google search on Legionella and then see if you want to clean
your teeth in water that has stood around for some time.

And yet that is exactly what I have got in the bathroom.

To repeat:
the hot water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace
the cold water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace

There is no mains water at all in the bathroom.
Neither in the cold tap for the basin nor in the cold tap for the bath.

That's what I've got. I'd guess that somewhere approaching
half of all houses have similar. What's the problem? There
isn't one.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David P wrote:
And yet that is exactly what I have got in the bathroom.

To repeat:
the hot water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace
the cold water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace

This is most unusual. Is the house very old?

There is no mains water at all in the bathroom.
Neither in the cold tap for the basin nor in the cold tap for the bath.

The bath is normally fed with 22mm pipe to give a fast flow rate from the
header tank, and unless you like cold baths there is no point in having it
on the mains, given you're as likely to 'drink' some of the hot as the
cold when bathing.

The basin is different. Many like to have a drink of water after teeth
cleaning or whatever. Have you investigated changing it to mains? All the
pipework going to the loft may well be together and of course includes
mains. So may not be that difficult to pick up.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Mr. Natural-Health

See!!!

All your dental problems can be traced back to whether or not you brush
your teeth with hot or cold water.

Made the wrong choice at the age of 3 years old? Too bad you lose for
life.

Just thought that all the idiots out there might want to know that you
made the WRONG choice. It could be why you are an idiot?

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
nightjar

wrote:

"David P" wrote in message
However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush
their teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom. ...

That is why the cold tap to the hand basin in my bathroom complies
with the requirements for a tap that supplies drinking water.

Coilin, can you please clarify.

You don't actually say it but are you suggesting that there is a reg
which requires the cold water tap in the bathroom basin to be fed from
the rising main?

There is no such requirement. I am simply stating that I made sure that the
supply to mine met the requirements for a tap supplying drinking water as
set out in Paragraph 27 of Schedule 2 to the Water Supply (Water Fittings)
Regulations 1999, because I knew I would be using it to clean my teeth.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David Hansen

On Sat, 06 May 2006 22:14:12 +0100 someone who may be David P
wrote this:-

To repeat:
the hot water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace
the cold water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace

Are they both the same size?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David Hansen

On 06 May 2006 17:19:27 GMT someone who may be Adrian Tupper
wrote this:-

Indeed. I would not be happy to clean my teeth with water from *any*
tap which wasn't directly mains fed. If my hand-basins had cold
supplies from attic tanks (which they don't!), I'd use a jug of water
from a mains supply - such as the kitchen tap, or even bottled water.

I'm wondering how on earth I'm still alive.

Ditto, decades of cleaning my teeth with water from cold tanks and
I'm still alive. If some of the posters are to be believed I must be
amazingly healthy to fight off all the bugs:-)

A sense of proportion is necessary. Ten people a day are killed on
UK roads.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Guy King

The message
from David Hansen contains these words:

A sense of proportion is necessary. Ten people a day are killed on
UK roads.

Perhaps if they concentrated on the traffic instead of brushing their
teeth they'd still be alive.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Adrian Tupper

David Hansen wrote in
:

wrote this:-

Indeed. I would not be happy to clean my teeth with water from *any*
tap which wasn't directly mains fed. If my hand-basins had cold
supplies from attic tanks (which they don't!), I'd use a jug of

water
from a mains supply - such as the kitchen tap, or even bottled

water.

I'm wondering how on earth I'm still alive.

Ditto, decades of cleaning my teeth with water from cold tanks and
I'm still alive. If some of the posters are to be believed I must be
amazingly healthy to fight off all the bugs:-)

A sense of proportion is necessary. Ten people a day are killed on
UK roads.

Exactly. For some reason we tolerate loss of life on roads more than
pretty well anything else I can think of.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Tom Anderson

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Chris Bacon wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:
David P wrote:

However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Use caustic soda for excellent results.

Some toothpaste (e.g. Maclean's Whitening, which I have some of
in the cupboard) does contain caustic soda.

I think those have got sodium bicarbonate; caustic soda is sodium
hydroxide, which is altogether different. Caustic soda would be a very
effective tooth-cleaning agent; the problem is that it would also be a
rather effective flesh-dissolving agent as well.

tom

--
Mathematics is the door and the key to the sciences. -- Roger Bacon
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Tom Anderson

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Adrian Tupper wrote:

David Hansen wrote in
:

wrote this:-

Indeed. I would not be happy to clean my teeth with water from *any*
tap which wasn't directly mains fed. If my hand-basins had cold
supplies from attic tanks (which they don't!), I'd use a jug of

water
from a mains supply - such as the kitchen tap, or even bottled

water.

I'm wondering how on earth I'm still alive.

Ditto, decades of cleaning my teeth with water from cold tanks and
I'm still alive. If some of the posters are to be believed I must be
amazingly healthy to fight off all the bugs:-)

A sense of proportion is necessary. Ten people a day are killed on
UK roads.

Exactly. For some reason we tolerate loss of life on roads more than
pretty well anything else I can think of.

IMNERHO, because (a) the deaths are spread out in time and space, and so
don't seem like a single problem and (b) we all [1] know that to do
something about it, we'd have to change our own habits, or at least put up
with greater restrictions on our own lives; these factors combine to
enable us to ignore the problem very efficiently.

tom

[1] Those of us who drive motor vehicles on the highway, anyway.

--
Mathematics is the door and the key to the sciences. -- Roger Bacon

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition

On Sat, 06 May 2006 11:02:15 +0100, David P wrote:

In another thread we are currently discussing if it was safe make a cup
of coffee from water which had been taken from the hot water tap (US:
faucet) and boiled for a brief period in an automatic kitchen kettle.

If you use a water filter to rid the water of certain impurities like chlorine,
etc. it is better to use water from the cold water faucet which has been
filtered.

If your bathroom sink does not have a filter, don't use the water to brush your
teeth. Bring a glass of water from the kitchen faucet which has the water
filter installed.

My bathroom water smells strongly of chlorine and I never use it for anything
except washing.

Ora
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
David Hansen

On Sun, 07 May 2006 19:03:31 GMT someone who may be
wrote this:-

If your bathroom sink does not have a filter, don't use the water to brush your
teeth.

None of mine do. I'm still alive.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition

David P wrote:
On 06 May 2006, wrote:

David P wrote:

Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Why use water to clean teeth at all? I don't (...and no crack
about using whisky, please). Apply toothpaste to dry brush, brush
teeth, spit into sink, then wash remains away with a small amount
of water,

Um, that's the water we are talking about. Most people might use a
slightly larger but still small amount.

I see. I did not make myself sufficently clear. The water is not put
into my mouth, it is used simply to rinse the sink.

also used to rinse brush, which is then air-dried.

Ditto. it makes not difference does it if the brush is rinsed in a
lot of water or a little because the water left after shaking is
going to be the same quantity.

Weeell, there is a difference between ingesting water fresh from the
tap, and inserting an air dried (over several hours) toothbrush in
one's mouth. How much of a difference is open to debate. Dry
plastic/nylon surfaces are pretty inhospitable to bacteria, fungi, and
viruses - they normally require warmth, food, and moisture. Remove any
one of the three, and they are inhibited from growth, and die pretty
rapidly, having few resources to fall back on. Some form spores, which
can be nasty.

In general, those with poor immune systems, such as the very young, the
very old, the pregnant, those undergoing chemotherapy, those taking
anti-rejection medication and the AIDS sufferers are most vulnerable.
Pretty much everyone else has low risk. As a student, I drank and
brushed my teeth in dilute pigeon (unbeknownst to me) for months
without any major short term effect.

Do twice daily after meals.

I started doing this after visiting Africa and seeing at first hand
what people had to go through to get 'water' - actually muddy
polluted muck - to use for drinking, cooking and cleaning; then
learning how much water is wasted by people leaving taps running
while brushing teeth during a not-so-recent water shortage.

Cheers,

Sid

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Chris Bacon

Weatherlawyer wrote:
David P wrote:
However what about brushing your teeth? Most people would brush
their teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Use caustic soda for excellent results.

Some toothpaste (e.g. Maclean's Whitening, which I have some of
in the cupboard) does contain caustic soda.

I think those have got sodium bicarbonate; caustic soda is sodium
hydroxide, which is altogether different.

Yes, I know. Let me get the tube for you:

"Macleans whitening helps restore natural whiteness and keep
teeth healthy. Ingredients: Aqua, hydrated silica, sorbitol,
pentasodium triphosphate, PEG-6 (?), titanium dioxide, sodium
lauryl sulphate (my sp.), aroma, xanthum gum, sodium hydroxide,
soduim saccharin, sodium fluoride, limonene."

Caustic soda would be a very
effective tooth-cleaning agent; the problem is that it would also be a
rather effective flesh-dissolving agent as well.

It only mentions keeping teeth healthy, not gums wuggf umnumnum
blblbblb mmfff.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

PEG-6 (?)

Polyethylene glycol. The 6 tells you how long the chain is.

PEG is used in a number of toothpastes as a dispersant; it binds water
and helps keep gum uniform throughout the toothpaste. It is also used in
liquid body armor [3] and tattoos to monitor diabetes[4]. Functional
groups of PEG give polyurethane elastomers their "rubberiness", for
applications such as foams (foam rubber) and fibers (spandex). Its
backbone structure is analogous to that of silicone, another elastomer.

--
Skipweasel

Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM