Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition

Default Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap?

David P wrote:
On 06 May 2006, wrote:

David P wrote:

Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Why use water to clean teeth at all? I don't (...and no crack
about using whisky, please). Apply toothpaste to dry brush, brush
teeth, spit into sink, then wash remains away with a small amount
of water,

Um, that's the water we are talking about. Most people might use a
slightly larger but still small amount.

I see. I did not make myself sufficently clear. The water is not put
into my mouth, it is used simply to rinse the sink.

also used to rinse brush, which is then air-dried.

Ditto. it makes not difference does it if the brush is rinsed in a
lot of water or a little because the water left after shaking is
going to be the same quantity.

Weeell, there is a difference between ingesting water fresh from the
tap, and inserting an air dried (over several hours) toothbrush in
one's mouth. How much of a difference is open to debate. Dry
plastic/nylon surfaces are pretty inhospitable to bacteria, fungi, and
viruses - they normally require warmth, food, and moisture. Remove any
one of the three, and they are inhibited from growth, and die pretty
rapidly, having few resources to fall back on. Some form spores, which
can be nasty.

In general, those with poor immune systems, such as the very young, the
very old, the pregnant, those undergoing chemotherapy, those taking
anti-rejection medication and the AIDS sufferers are most vulnerable.
Pretty much everyone else has low risk. As a student, I drank and
brushed my teeth in dilute pigeon (unbeknownst to me) for months
without any major short term effect.

Do twice daily after meals.

I started doing this after visiting Africa and seeing at first hand
what people had to go through to get 'water' - actually muddy
polluted muck - to use for drinking, cooking and cleaning; then
learning how much water is wasted by people leaving taps running
while brushing teeth during a not-so-recent water shortage.

Cheers,

Sid