Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,sci.med.nutrition
Derek ^

Default Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap?

On 6 May 2006 09:54:01 -0700, wrote:

David P wrote:

Most people would brush their
teeth using water from the cold tap in the bathroom.

Why use water to clean teeth at all? I don't (...and no crack about
using whisky, please). Apply toothpaste to dry brush, brush teeth,
spit into sink, then wash remains away with a small amount of water,
also used to rinse brush, which is then air-dried. Do twice daily after
meals.

That's OTT.

Do it once per 24 hours and mouthwash with Chlorhexidine.

The bugs can't multiply enough in 24 Hr or less to establish a colony.
even with a margin for error, ( a single late or missed session).

I started doing this after visiting Africa and seeing at first hand
what people had to go through to get 'water' - actually muddy polluted
muck - to use for drinking, cooking and cleaning; then learning how
much water is wasted by people leaving taps running while brushing
teeth during a not-so-recent water shortage.

On my recent visit to a dentist, he complimented me on my teeth, and
expressed surprise that I hadn't seen a dentist for over 10 years - my
teeth were as good as those who had regular 6-monthly check-ups. I
simply needed a 25-year old filling replaced.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about what lives on the average
toothbrush.

Put it in the dishwasher regularly to sterilise it.

DG