Posted to uk.d-i-y
Daniel Santos

Default How to throw away obsolete electronics

I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Daniel Santos" wrote in message
I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do
?

Doesn't your local reclamation/recycling centre have a special place for
them?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:23:31 +0000, Daniel Santos
wrote:

I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Join the Freecycle Group on Yahoo Groups relative to the area you stay
in and someone will take it .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Daniel Santos wrote:
I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would
you do ?

I would throw it in the bin.

http://freecycle.org/
I doubt anyone would take it off you're hands though
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
simon

"Daniel Santos" wrote in message
I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do
?

Find a skip or your local council tip. It will be on ebay within the week.
I put a monitor in the bin once and the bin lorry stopped!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Daniel Santos wrote:
I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you
do ?

Do they work or not? (not sure how much difference that may make?!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
|player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Our local tip^h^h^hdomestic waste site has a special container for
electronic stuff. I think someone strips the good stuff out.
newsreader, say Agent, and a newsserver, say news.individual.net. This
will allow them, among other goodies to see only *new* posts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gully Foyle

wrote:

|I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
|player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Our local tip^h^h^hdomestic waste site has a special container for
electronic stuff. I think someone strips the good stuff out.

I took two old but working monitors to the local tip a few weeks back
and was told that new council regulations stated that only one monitor
could be brought to the tip per household per week! When I blinked at
this he said "I'm not looking - put them over there"

--

I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

|I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
|player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Our local tip^h^h^hdomestic waste site has a special container for
electronic stuff. I think someone strips the good stuff out.

I took two old but working monitors to the local tip a few weeks back
and was told that new council regulations stated that only one monitor
could be brought to the tip per household per week! When I blinked at
this he said "I'm not looking - put them over there"

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

They're jobsworths, right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

[...]

It all started when they got wheels on the bins.
In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook out and
sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to where it belonged.
:-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Carl Inglis

On 2006-03-18, Andy Hall wrote:
[snip]
I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

To dispose of three broken monitors legally will cost my employers around
£250 pounds under the new legislation. The tip rules are designed to
stop businesses offloading their commercial stuff by sending their IT
chap round with a car load. The jobsworths seem to have forgotten that
any business can quite quickly russle up a number of people willing to
take random runs to the tip. Not that I'd suggest that any business do
that, of course.

Carl
--
"D'you know, I don't think I've got it in me to shoot my flatmate,
my Mum, and my girlfriend all in the same evening." - Shaun of the Dead
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:52:27 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

They're jobsworths, right?

Not usually. Following outsourcing, they typically seem to be
pikies.

The jobsworths are to be found in the town hall or as car park
attendants or school caretakers looking like Deryck Guyler.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

I have to throw away an old printer

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on ebay
these days !

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook
out and sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to
where it belonged. :-(

They still do that here.
Its a plastic bin though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

wrote:

I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

ebay or freecycle.

Freecycle works ok as long as you remember to put your approx location
and if you state that you won't deliver (or will) else you'll get
people asking you to deliver stuff miles.

--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On 2006-03-18, Andy Hall wrote:
[snip]
I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

To dispose of three broken monitors legally will cost my employers around
£250 pounds under the new legislation. The tip rules are designed to
stop businesses offloading their commercial stuff by sending their IT
chap round with a car load. The jobsworths seem to have forgotten that
any business can quite quickly russle up a number of people willing to
take random runs to the tip. Not that I'd suggest that any business do
that, of course.

One of the biggest hassles for business is that you can dispose of
Asbestos and nuclear waste (eg. ionization smoke alarms) at the dump
provided you arrive in a car. In a van it's £50+VAT per trip even if it's
hedge clippings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

In message , simon
writes

Find a skip or your local council tip. It will be on ebay within the week.
I put a monitor in the bin once and the bin lorry stopped!

I put 2 CRT monitors in a skip in St Neots and they both appeared days
later in an auction in Bedford, the dead one made £10:00 and the working
one £5:00 !!!!!!!!!!

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

dennis@home wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook
out and sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to
where it belonged. :-(

They still do that here.
Its a plastic bin though.

Fine, but are the binmen built like "brick sh**houses". ;-)

the ones you get now are either spotty oik's or look as if they just walked
out of burtons window.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

It all started when they got wheels on the bins.
In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook out and
sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to where it belonged.
:-(

You did mean corrugated, didn't you ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

raden wrote:
In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

It all started when they got wheels on the bins.
In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook
out and sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to
where it belonged. :-(

You did mean corrugated, didn't you ...

--
geoff

Nope, corrugated is parallel rows of folds which look like a series of
waves when seen from the edge.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
raden wrote:
In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

It all started when they got wheels on the bins.
In my day it was a cast iron bin in the wall that they had to hook
out and sling it on their back,empty it and then hump it back to
where it belonged. :-(

You did mean corrugated, didn't you ...

--
geoff

Nope, corrugated is parallel rows of folds which look like a series of
waves when seen from the edge.

Certainly not cast iron, it would be a) too heavy and b) too brittle -
It would crack first time it was dropped with any force

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Colin Wilson wrote:
I have to throw away an old printer

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on ebay
these days !

Who on earth wants them?! (hmm, I have one at the back of a wardrobe
somewhere...)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Ed Sirett wrote:

In a van it's £50+VAT per trip even if it's hedge clippings.

Round here a householder needs a certificate for a van or certain size
of trailer, otherwise it's commercial waste and charged via the
weighbridge ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

Who on earth wants them?! (hmm, I have one at the back of a wardrobe
somewhere...)

David

Anybody you uses multi-part forms for one..

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
I have to throw away an old printer

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on ebay
these days !

Who on earth wants them?! (hmm, I have one at the back of a wardrobe
somewhere...)

David

Still the cheapest way to run off a million invoices on preprinted
stationery..

Just a ribbon every year or so, and that's it.

We did finally switch to HP laserjets, and software forms on headed
paper. BUT if you want to knock out a thousand invoices with tear off
receipt strips - so that you already NEED your stationery stock pre
printed, then a DM is the best way to put the data on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:39:29 UTC, Dave Stanton wrote:

Who on earth wants them?! (hmm, I have one at the back of a wardrobe
somewhere...)

David

Anybody you uses multi-part forms for one..

And you can make good robot cranes out of them (says he, dragging it
back on-topic)...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Lobster
writes
Colin Wilson wrote:
I have to throw away an old printer

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on
ebay these days !

Who on earth wants them?!

Someone like me who needs labels

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:54:19 UTC, raden wrote:

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on
ebay these days !

Who on earth wants them?!

Someone like me who needs labels

They do them for laser printers as well, these days...and inkjets!

I still keep one just in case, though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:54:19 UTC, raden wrote:

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on
ebay these days !

Who on earth wants them?!

Someone like me who needs labels

They do them for laser printers as well, these days...and inkjets!

I still keep one just in case, though!

So ... A box of Avery labels for £25 ? (not forgetting the cost of the
cartridges). If I want 7 labels that's a sheet gone

or 10,000 fanfold labels for £50

err ... no contest

I used to use Avery labels, I've moved on

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:01:22 UTC, raden wrote:

If its a dot matrix, you`d be surprised at what they sell for on
ebay these days !

Who on earth wants them?!

Someone like me who needs labels

They do them for laser printers as well, these days...and inkjets!

I still keep one just in case, though!

So ... A box of Avery labels for ú25 ? (not forgetting the cost of the
cartridges). If I want 7 labels that's a sheet gone

1500 labels for a fiver...not pukka Avery, but good quality. I can
afford a bit of wastage, since 10,000 cost me about 33 quid.

or 10,000 fanfold labels for ú50

err ... no contest

Perhaps there is...

As for cartridges, I get 6000 pages for 25 quid. That's with original HP
toners off eBay. Comparable with the cost of ribbons these days...page
for page

But it's obviously dependent on your usage...!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chip

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:39:29 +0000,it is alleged that Dave Stanton
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Who on earth wants them?! (hmm, I have one at the back of a wardrobe
somewhere...)

David

Anybody you uses multi-part forms for one..

Dave

And anyone who wants multi-sheet printing (call logging for telephone
systems springs to mind)

--
You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
- Indira Gandhi
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

And the fact that I can need anything from one label to 100+

.... at the click of a mouse button without messing around feeding sheets
of paper in, pulling one label off, putting paper back, somehow (I don't
know how) to start at label number 2 of a sheet

Some of us have other things to do

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:45:53 UTC, raden wrote:

1500 labels for a fiver...not pukka Avery, but good quality. I can
afford a bit of wastage, since 10,000 cost me about 33 quid.

or 10,000 fanfold labels for ·50

err ... no contest

Perhaps there is...

As for cartridges, I get 6000 pages for 25 quid. That's with original HP
toners off eBay. Comparable with the cost of ribbons these days...page
for page

But it's obviously dependent on your usage...!

And the fact that I can need anything from one label to 100+

... at the click of a mouse button without messing around feeding sheets
of paper in, pulling one label off, putting paper back, somehow (I don't
know how) to start at label number 2 of a sheet

Exactly. As I said, it depends on usage. I usually print lots at once,
so average wastage is only half a sheet.

I still want the dot matrix..really must get on with the robot crane!
Can't find the instructions though...basically you use the carriage
motor to slew the jib, and the platen roller as a winding drum...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Andy Burns contains these words:

Round here a householder needs a certificate for a van or certain size
of trailer, otherwise it's commercial waste and charged via the
weighbridge ...

And even then of course, you're not to take commercial waste there in
your permitted trailer!

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
ge

But it's obviously dependent on your usage...!

And the fact that I can need anything from one label to 100+

... at the click of a mouse button without messing around feeding sheets
of paper in, pulling one label off, putting paper back, somehow (I don't
know how) to start at label number 2 of a sheet

Exactly. As I said, it depends on usage. I usually print lots at once,
so average wastage is only half a sheet.

One customer and one product line would be an asset in this case

I still want the dot matrix..really must get on with the robot crane!
Can't find the instructions though...basically you use the carriage
motor to slew the jib, and the platen roller as a winding drum...

I have 3 dead ones where pins have broken in the print head

the print head costs not much short of a new printer

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:33:48 UTC, raden wrote:

I still want the dot matrix..really must get on with the robot crane!
Can't find the instructions though...basically you use the carriage
motor to slew the jib, and the platen roller as a winding drum...

I have 3 dead ones where pins have broken in the print head

the print head costs not much short of a new printer

I've got the printer...I just can't find it! Somewhere behind the eight
spare laser printers I expect...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On 19 Mar 2006 20:26:38 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

As for cartridges, I get 6000 pages for 25 quid. That's with original HP
toners off eBay. Comparable with the cost of ribbons these days...page
for page

Obviously never heard of WD40 miracle ribbon rejuvenator :-)

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Daniel Santos
saying something like:

I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would you do ?

Lob it over the hedge into your neighbour's garden. He'll be glad of the
opportunity to create a skiffle band from it.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Holly, in France

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Daniel Santos
saying something like:

I have to throw away an old printer and a portable radio and cassete
player. But I don't want to just send it to the garbage. What would
you do ?

Lob it over the hedge into your neighbour's garden. He'll be glad of
the opportunity to create a skiffle band from it.

LOL, well done, I'm imagining the scene. BTW and relating to another
thread, I hear the Poles are doing well. and doing a good job in Ireland
atm, is that your experience?

--
Holly, in France
Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.