Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default How to throw away obsolete electronics

On 2006-03-18, Andy Hall wrote:
[snip]
I'm convinced that these tip guys make up the "rules" as they go
along.

It gives them the opportunity to wield some power ranging from flat
refusal to making their customers bow and scrape to getting eternal
thanks that they allowed the "rules" to be bent.

To dispose of three broken monitors legally will cost my employers around
£250 pounds under the new legislation. The tip rules are designed to
stop businesses offloading their commercial stuff by sending their IT
chap round with a car load. The jobsworths seem to have forgotten that
any business can quite quickly russle up a number of people willing to
take random runs to the tip. Not that I'd suggest that any business do
that, of course.

One of the biggest hassles for business is that you can dispose of
Asbestos and nuclear waste (eg. ionization smoke alarms) at the dump
provided you arrive in a car. In a van it's £50+VAT per trip even if it's
hedge clippings.