Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Cordless doorbell - recommendations?

"Mogweed" wrote in message
As subject line really. This is for a house that we'll be letting out so I
don't want to spend too much (seen one at *£100* - eek!!!) but, on the
other hand, it has got to work well and be reliable.

I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about all I
know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, cordless
doorbell?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built into a
plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mogweed wrote:
As subject line really. This is for a house that we'll be letting out
so I don't want to spend too much (seen one at *£100* - eek!!!) but,
on the other hand, it has got to work well and be reliable.

I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about
all I know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced,
cordless doorbell?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Eh! "stay away from the cheap ones"? too late now,but the aldi one for
4.99GBP has not been giving me any hassle which has been fitted for
2/3months?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built
into a plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

Why?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

John wrote:

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built
into a plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

Agreed. My plug in is much better than the previous battery one. Still not
perfect though. Strangely its fine plugged into a socket outlet, but won't
work if plugged into an extension cable.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built
into a plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

Agreed. My plug in is much better than the previous battery one.
Still not perfect though. Strangely its fine plugged into a socket
outlet, but won't work if plugged into an extension cable.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

The whole point of it being wireless(battery) if you happen to go pottering
about in the garden,hence you can take it anywhere around the house ie for
slightly deaf people or you cant hear the bell in the back garden.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The whole point of it being wireless (battery) SNIP you can take it
anywhere around
the house

Thats one point, the other is not having to run the cables.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
news
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built
into a plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

Agreed. My plug in is much better than the previous battery one.
Still not perfect though. Strangely its fine plugged into a socket
outlet, but won't work if plugged into an extension cable.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

The whole point of it being wireless(battery) if you happen to go
pottering
about in the garden,hence you can take it anywhere around the house ie for
slightly deaf people or you cant hear the bell in the back garden.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I found that the ones I bought from B&Q have a range of about 5 meters and
that is providing there is only one wall between bell push and the ringer.
So unless you have a very small garden in direct line of sight of the bell
push wandering round the garden is not possible with the cheaper models.

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Thats funny was hosing the yard a couple of days ago the bell worked fine
out there..

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Simon wrote:
I found that the ones I bought from B&Q have a range of about 5 meters and
that is providing there is only one wall between bell push and the ringer.
So unless you have a very small garden in direct line of sight of the bell
push wandering round the garden is not possible with the cheaper models.

The ones I bought from B&Q came in 2 versions - one for short distances and
the other for long distance. I have one of each (bell) with one doorswitch and
the long distance bell works fine in the workshop through four walls. On
testing it worked OK to the middle of the field behind the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
Simon wrote:
I found that the ones I bought from B&Q have a range of about 5 meters
and
that is providing there is only one wall between bell push and the
ringer.
So unless you have a very small garden in direct line of sight of the
bell
push wandering round the garden is not possible with the cheaper models.

The ones I bought from B&Q came in 2 versions - one for short distances
and
the other for long distance. I have one of each (bell) with one doorswitch
and
the long distance bell works fine in the workshop through four walls. On
testing it worked OK to the middle of the field behind the house.

Just got to go out so a very hurried reply )

Thanks for all replies to my query - some interesting points there. I do
need one with a decent range but I intend to screw it to the wall as I don't
want tenants losing it or leaving it out in the rain - not that all tenants
are like that, of course, but I do know some who are. The only reason I want
cordless is so that I don't have to run wires all over the place.

Anyone suggest a make and model though? B&Q have been mentioned but is it
their own brand? I've seen adverts for MK Libra - they any good?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

wrote:
I found that the ones I bought from B&Q have a range of about 5 meters
and that is providing there is only one wall between bell push and the
ringer. So unless you have a very small garden in direct line of sight
of the bell push wandering round the garden is not possible with the
cheaper models.

The ones I bought from B&Q came in 2 versions - one for short distances
and the other for long distance. I have one of each (bell) with one
doorswitch and the long distance bell works fine in the workshop through
four walls. On testing it worked OK to the middle of the field behind the
house.

-- John Cartmell john@ followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822 Qercus
magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527 www.finnybank.com Qercus - the best
guide to RISC OS computing

Just got to go out so a very hurried reply )

Thanks for all replies to my query - some interesting points there. I do
need one with a decent range but I intend to screw it to the wall as I
don't want tenants losing it or leaving it out in the rain - not that all
tenants are like that, of course, but I do know some who are. The only
reason I want cordless is so that I don't have to run wires all over the
place.

Anyone suggest a make and model though? B&Q have been mentioned but is it
their own brand? I've seen adverts for MK Libra - they any good?

Mine have Doorman written on them - but no clear make/model.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

You must have got a better one than ours. If I plug ours in the dinning
room, which about 6 meters away but through two walls it does not work. Move
it the other side of the wall and it works. Similar problem with the ringer
upstairs, and the walls are just brick, nothing metal in them.

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"Mogweed" wrote in message
As subject line really. This is for a house that we'll be letting out so I
don't want to spend too much (seen one at *£100* - eek!!!) but, on the

other
hand, it has got to work well and be reliable.

I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about all I
know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, cordless

doorbell?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Lindam LD22B/R says LINDAM plug in 433 on the front of the unit - I bought
this 4 + years ago from b&q et al and it has worked ever since without issue
or change of batteries (it must have them in push button)

Regards Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:

[...]

Check the battery underload in the bell itself by putting a meter across
the + & - and press the bellpush.
Might be the battery is under powering the wireless circuitry.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Mogweed wrote:
Anyone suggest a make and model though? B&Q have been mentioned but is it
their own brand? I've seen adverts for MK Libra - they any good?

We have a Byron (from B&Q) - works OK, wasn't too expensive. We
actually have two ringers as we couldn't find a position where you could
definitely hear it throughout the house; one powered by AA batteries
(which it eats); the other by a wallwart. It's 'intended' to be
portable, ie looks a bit like a walkie-talkie, and doesn't have fittings
to screw it to the wall though.

http://ccgi.byrons.force9.co.uk/home.php

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Mogweed brought next idea :
I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about all I
know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, cordless doorbell?

Friedland. They come in various working distance ranges, the further -
the more expensive. Range is open space range and will reduce
drastically with walls in the way. The two (or more) parts have to be
matched with a switch entered code, to avoid next doors push sounding
your chime, though later ones do the matching automatically. Top of the
range is about £35. The chimes can be mains powered with an adaptor.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:31:43 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Mogweed brought next idea :
I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about all I
know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, cordless doorbell?

Friedland. They come in various working distance ranges, the further -
the more expensive. Range is open space range and will reduce
drastically with walls in the way. The two (or more) parts have to be
matched with a switch entered code, to avoid next doors push sounding
your chime, though later ones do the matching automatically. Top of the
range is about £35. The chimes can be mains powered with an adaptor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:31:43 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Mogweed brought next idea :
I've been told to stay away from the cheaper ones but that's about all I
know, so can someone recommend a good, reasonably priced, cordless doorbell?

Friedland. They come in various working distance ranges, the further -
the more expensive. Range is open space range and will reduce
drastically with walls in the way. The two (or more) parts have to be
matched with a switch entered code, to avoid next doors push sounding
your chime, though later ones do the matching automatically. Top of the
range is about £35. The chimes can be mains powered with an adaptor.

TLC do the plug in ones for just under £20:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE349.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VED416E.html

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To Sir Benjamin. The problem with a battery powered one is that the
circuit is in receive mode all the time waiting for a signal (like
leaving a radio on). The button unit only uses power whan the button is
pushed. Hence my suggestion for a mains powered one - my daughter has
one that is built into a plug that also has a socket on it so that it
does not cause you to go without a socket.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Argos do the one with a built in 13 amp socket:
Doorman 75m Wire Free Plug Through Door Chime Kit.
item: 8681397

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:00:07 GMT, "John"
wrote:

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is built into a
plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery powered ringer.

I have a "Friedland".

The the coin cell battery in the bell push outlasted the 2 "U2"
batteries in the sounder 3-fold.

But still "years" in total. But inconvenient when the sounder stopped
working.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:34:03 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Check the battery underload in the bell itself by putting a meter across
the + & - and press the bellpush.

What's an underload??

An overload I understand.

Might be the battery is under powering the wireless circuitry.

??

Do you bay any chance mean a flat battery?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark A

Derek ^ wrote:

What's an underload??

I think he meant under load. In other words the voltage when being used,
as opposed to the voltage produced when not connected to anything.

Have to say that we tried first a cheap wireless doorbell from B&Q in
my GF's place and it maybe worked half the time. Tried a more expensive
one and that worked maybe three quarters of the time, and then finally
the most expensive one they sell, which claimed a prodigious range that
would have supposedly worked about fifteen houses away. That worked
maybe 85 to 90% of the time. In the end we gave up and put in a wired
one with a mains fed bell for about five quid. Works 100% of the time.

Regards

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Mark A wrote:
Derek ^ wrote:

What's an underload??

I think he meant under load. In other words the voltage when being used,
as opposed to the voltage produced when not connected to anything.

Have to say that we tried first a cheap wireless doorbell from B&Q in
my GF's place and it maybe worked half the time.

That's the problem we had with them. Very erratic performance. And
that was out of the box, with new batteries etc. I wouldn't bother
again. Wireless, schmireless!

We've currently got a fantastic 8" Swiss cow bell on it's original
thick leather strap which I'd like to use as a doorbell.

Can't quite decide the best way to ring it though. It has a clapper in
it so a simple swing would do it or something attached to the clapper
maybe.

I'm erring on the side of mechanical wires and pulleys and a handle
outside rather than a complicated electric relay type solution

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Mogweed wrote:

Thanks for all replies to my query - some interesting points there. I do
need one with a decent range but I intend to screw it to the wall as I
don't want tenants losing it or leaving it out in the rain - not that all
tenants are like that, of course, but I do know some who are. The only
reason I want cordless is so that I don't have to run wires all over the
place.

Anyone suggest a make and model though? B&Q have been mentioned but is it
their own brand? I've seen adverts for MK Libra - they any good?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this,
but we have a Friedland "combination" wireless doorbell system -
there is a standard bell-push with bell near the door,
and a wireless system attached to this.

We have 3 wireless "bells" around the house, battery operated.
There is some sort of flashing mode if the battery is low.

The batteries have lasted over a year so far.
The system works very well, through several very thick walls.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On 16 Mar 2006 01:57:58 -0800, "Fitz"
wrote:

Mark A wrote:
Derek ^ wrote:

What's an underload??

Mark, tnx for the explanation.

I think he meant under load. In other words the voltage when being used,
as opposed to the voltage produced when not connected to anything.

Have to say that we tried first a cheap wireless doorbell from B&Q in
my GF's place and it maybe worked half the time.

That's the problem we had with them. Very erratic performance. And
that was out of the box, with new batteries etc. I wouldn't bother
again. Wireless, schmireless!

My wireless "spike meat thermometer" apparently can't co-exist with my
wireless router, neither can my wireless "Chinese Weather Station".

We've currently got a fantastic 8" Swiss cow bell on it's original
thick leather strap which I'd like to use as a doorbell.

You could make a fortune bringing them in.

Can't quite decide the best way to ring it though. It has a clapper in
it so a simple swing would do it or something attached to the clapper
maybe.

Check out the setup they used to have in stately homes/country houses.

I'm erring on the side of mechanical wires and pulleys and a handle
outside rather than a complicated electric relay type solution

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Jeff, Ray wrote:
Can you tell me what type of battery the door bell push takes? Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ns-341128-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2019 16:14, Ray wrote:
replying to Jeff, Ray wrote:
Can you tell me what type of battery the door bell push takes? Thanks

Another question from home owners hub about products on the market in
2006. Even if Jeff is still around after 13 years all the products
mentioned are probably no longer on sale having been replaced with newer
models.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I'd always go for a door intercom nowadays or a posh video one if I had
some sight. However one thing to be aware of, most wired door intercoms
allow the occupier to start the conversation with a doorstep lurker who does
not press the button, but many cordless ones do not, and I find this an
issue these days, as dodgy people do exist.
As for old posts, well it worries me why the year is not in the string
used when sorting posts on that site. Its clearly ridiculous although having
looked there, it is not exactly hidden where the thread started, but then
the sighted are not observant and see what they expect whereas we blindies
hear what is actually there!

Brian

--
----- --