Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Charles M. Kozierok

Default Any recommendations on cordless phones?

Hey all,

We just bought a new house and had VOIP installed. We want to pick up
one of those cordless phone kits that include multiple handsets, to use
throughout the house.

There does seem to be a bewildering array of them out there however. Any
suggestions on good products, or alternately, ones to avoid?

Thanks!

peace,

-*-
charles
Percival P. Cassidy

If you have wireless networking on 2.4GHz, you'll likely lose your
network connection whenever you use a 2.4GHz cordless phone handset.
That's what happens with our LinkSys WRT54G wireless router/switch and
our Sony cordless phones. Good job we use the wired networking almost
exclusively.

Perce

On 05/29/05 12:40 pm Charles M. Kozierok tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

We just bought a new house and had VOIP installed. We want to pick up
one of those cordless phone kits that include multiple handsets, to use
throughout the house.

There does seem to be a bewildering array of them out there however. Any
suggestions on good products, or alternately, ones to avoid?

Travis Jordan

Kendall P. Bullen wrote:
I haven't been impressed with any models. Generally, the batteries
give out after a few years.

Yep, so do the rechargeable batteries in cell phones, laptop computers,
and even (different technology) cars.

Charles M. Kozierok

In article ,
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
} If you have wireless networking on 2.4GHz, you'll likely lose your
} network connection whenever you use a 2.4GHz cordless phone handset.
} That's what happens with our LinkSys WRT54G wireless router/switch and
} our Sony cordless phones. Good job we use the wired networking almost
} exclusively.

We were thinking about going with 5GHz models for that reason.

Thanks for the replies so far...

peace,

-*-
charles

ameijers

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
Kendall P. Bullen wrote:
I haven't been impressed with any models. Generally, the batteries
give out after a few years.

Yep, so do the rechargeable batteries in cell phones, laptop computers,
and even (different technology) cars.

Batteries, keypads, cheap cords, etc. Sitting next to me is a 1974 vintage
Ma Bell WECO 2500 desk set, baby blue in color. It'll likely outlive me. I
have zero use for modern lightweight junk phones, cordless or corded,
designed to be replaced every 3-5 years. Western Electric used to make them
with a design lifespan of 40-50 years, back when you rented them. I only
have so many years left- worrying about when the phone is gonna need upkeep
or replacement doesn't deserve a spot on my to-do list.

aem sends...

Kendall P. Bullen

In article ,
"Travis Jordan" wrote:

Yep, so do the rechargeable batteries in cell phones, laptop computers,
and even (different technology) cars.

We're talking a very few years. A cordless phone should not become
useless in 1-2 years. (It wasn't possible to replace the battery as far
as we could determine.

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
Travis Jordan

Kendall P. Bullen wrote:
We're talking a very few years. A cordless phone should not become
useless in 1-2 years. (It wasn't possible to replace the battery as
far as we could determine.

I would agree that a non-replaceable battery cordless telephone would be
....junk. I didn't know there was such a thing. What was the make /
model number?

Kendall P. Bullen

In article ,
"Travis Jordan" wrote:

I would agree that a non-replaceable battery cordless telephone would be
...junk. I didn't know there was such a thing. What was the make /
model number?

That one was a Vtech.

We haven't tried replacing the one in our current phone, but we're
moving shortly and I just want to stop buying stupid disposable
electronics and stick with real phones, so I'm hoping we sell it at a
yard sale.

KEndall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
Charles M. Kozierok

In article ,
ameijers wrote:
}
} "Travis Jordan" wrote in message
} . ..
} Kendall P. Bullen wrote:
} I haven't been impressed with any models. Generally, the batteries
} give out after a few years.
}
} Yep, so do the rechargeable batteries in cell phones, laptop computers,
} and even (different technology) cars.
}
} Batteries, keypads, cheap cords, etc. Sitting next to me is a 1974 vintage
} Ma Bell WECO 2500 desk set, baby blue in color. It'll likely outlive me. I
} have zero use for modern lightweight junk phones, cordless or corded,
} designed to be replaced every 3-5 years. Western Electric used to make them
} with a design lifespan of 40-50 years, back when you rented them. I only
} have so many years left- worrying about when the phone is gonna need upkeep
} or replacement doesn't deserve a spot on my to-do list.

To each his own. I prefer the convenience of modern phones with features
like cordless operation, and IME I have never had an electronic phone
die after 3-5 years.

peace,

-*-
charles

Travis Jordan

KLS wrote:
Same he my Panasonic is still going nearly 8 years later.

Original battery?

KLS

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:56:33 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

KLS wrote:
Same he my Panasonic is still going nearly 8 years later.

Original battery?

Yes. I'm not sure why, either, except that I don't use it all that
often. I just leave it in the charger most of the time.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:40:13 -0400, someone wrote:

....We had a bad experience with V-Tech

I consider V-Tech to be an, ahem, "economy" brand.

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:56:33 GMT, someone wrote:

Original battery?

I have been in my house 7 years, and never replaced a cordless phone
battery. I have replaced a cell phone battery.

On Mon, 30 May 2005 11:27:56 -0400, someone wrote:

That one was a Vtech.

We haven't tried replacing the one in our current phone

Hmm, I DID say that V-Tech was an "economy" brand. Maybe there is
such a thing, but stores like Radio Shack carry replacement cordless
phone batteries, and it used to be that if you bought a cordless phone
the battery would be packed separately (with a warning card not to use
the phone until the battery had been charged for 24 hrs) and you
installed it yourself (the phone would be packed with the battery
cover open/off). At least that way you would know how to replace it!.

If your batteries are dying so soon, maybe you are not following the
proper initial procedure so the battery is not right from day one?

D. Gerasimatos

In article , v wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:56:33 GMT, someone wrote:

Original battery?

I have been in my house 7 years, and never replaced a cordless phone
battery. I have replaced a cell phone battery.

I have had a similar experience. My cordless phone (Panasonic) is 9 years
old and hasn't needed the battery replaced yet.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

I have had a similar experience. My cordless phone (Panasonic) is 9
years old and hasn't needed the battery replaced yet.

Just curious: did you keep the phone out of its charging cradle most
of the time, use it 'til the battery went low and only then re-charge
it, or did you leave it in the charging cradle all the time, as most
people do?

Probably some combination. It's in the cradle about half the time.

Dimitri