Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Cordless doorbell - recommendations?

Simon wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Simon wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
news The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:

Can't recommend a make - but get one where the 'ringer' unit is
built into a plug through adaptor. Definitely not a battery
powered ringer.

Agreed. My plug in is much better than the previous battery one.
Still not perfect though. Strangely its fine plugged into a
socket outlet, but won't work if plugged into an extension cable.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

The whole point of it being wireless(battery) if you happen to go
pottering about in the garden,hence you can take it anywhere around
the house ie for slightly deaf people or you cant hear the bell in
the back garden.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I found that the ones I bought from B&Q have a range of about 5
meters and that is providing there is only one wall between bell
push and the ringer. So unless you have a very small garden in
direct line of sight of the bell push wandering round the garden is
not possible with the cheaper models.

Simon

Thats funny was hosing the yard a couple of days ago the bell worked
fine out there..

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

You must have got a better one than ours. If I plug ours in the
dinning room, which about 6 meters away but through two walls it does
not work. Move it the other side of the wall and it works. Similar
problem with the ringer upstairs, and the walls are just brick,
nothing metal in them.

Simon

Check the battery underload in the bell itself by putting a meter across
the + & - and press the bellpush.
Might be the battery is under powering the wireless circuitry.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite