Default Adding a "proper" roof to a conservatory

We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

Andrew Mawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know,

it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any

way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have

we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

Big difference in planning controls iirc if the roof is more than 75 %
solid as it ceases to be a conservatory

AWEM

Malcolm Stewart

wrote in message
oups.com...
We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

Is the roof plastic? My daughter's conservatory roof is, and I certainly
agree about the rain noise. OTOH, the glass roof on a friend's conservatory
roof seems acceptably quiet when it rains. However, it does leak in a few
places, whereas my daughter's roof seems leak free, for the time being.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Mr Fizzion

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:58:07 +0100, Owain

We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

For summer use, improving ventilation (perhaps fitting a solar powered
extractor fan at a high point to create an airflow), fitting blinds or
whitewashing part of the glass may help to reduce solar gain.

Owain

My neighbours have air conditioning in theirs...I guess that is
permitted?

Christian McArdle

We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains.

It would almost certainly be illegal.

Replace with double glazed glass and ensure it has an opening roof light.
Polycarbonate roofing is horrible. You will need to strengthen the rafters
for the increased weight.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

I'd like to ask - which way does this conservatory face?

I've wondered about building one on the back of our house but not for
warmth - it faces due north. I'm happy for it to be cold in the winter but
wonder if it would still get too hot in the summer.

Mary

Tim Mitchell

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

I'd like to ask - which way does this conservatory face?

I've wondered about building one on the back of our house but not for
warmth - it faces due north. I'm happy for it to be cold in the winter but
wonder if it would still get too hot in the summer.

Ours is on the north side of the house and gets very hot in mid summer,
when the sun is high enough to get over the house and shine into it. A
2kw electric convector heater from Argos heats it fine in the winter if
we want to eat out there or anything (takes about 10mins to heat up to
usable temp).
--
Tim Mitchell
Mary Fisher

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message

I've wondered about building one on the back of our house but not for
warmth - it faces due north. I'm happy for it to be cold in the winter but
wonder if it would still get too hot in the summer.

Ours is on the north side of the house and gets very hot in mid summer,
when the sun is high enough to get over the house and shine into it. A 2kw
electric convector heater from Argos heats it fine in the winter if we
want to eat out there or anything (takes about 10mins to heat up to usable
temp).
--
Tim Mitchell

Thanks, Tim, the sun wouldn't be able to reach every part of ours, if it
could I'd have a greenhouse lean-to there! It's an interesting thought
though.

Mary

dennis@home

wrote in message
oups.com...
We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know, it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

My conservatory has a plastic roof.
Its about 3" thick triple walled stuff.
It comes in 12" wide (approx) sections that lock together with an aluminium
insert that supports the roof.
It reduces all the problems you mentioned by a lot.

Its probably cheaper to put the tiles on. ;-)

Doctor Drivel

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
We had a conservatory built a few years ago. Like many will know,

it's
too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and unbearably noisy
when it rains. Consequently, it doesn't get much use. Is there any

way
the roof could be clad, or replaced with timber and tiles? Or have

we
just learned an expensive lesson?!

Big difference in planning controls iirc if the roof is more than 75 %
solid as it ceases to be a conservatory

Are you sure about the 75%? If so, the whole roof could be covered and
packed with insulation - essential. The problem, is getting light to the
back of the conservatory and into the main house - light pipes can be used
for this. The very back 25% of the new roof and ceiling, near the house wall
could be glass (triple or quad glazed) to give light. The house wall could
take most of the weight of the new roof, meaning few large supports are at
the front of the conservatory, or none at all. Indeed the roof could be
largely a self supporting structure hanging off the house wall.

Christian McArdle

Big difference in planning controls iirc if the roof is more than 75 %
solid as it ceases to be a conservatory

It's about building control, not planning.

Are you sure about the 75%? If so, the whole roof could be covered and
packed with insulation - essential.

You basically have a choice.

You can make it a conservatory by having sufficient windows. If you do this,
you don't have to worry about u-Values, but you must separate it from the
rest of the house with external grade walls, doors and windows.

If you don't have sufficient windows/translucent roof, then it counts as an
extension and must be fully insulated. This is actually difficult or
impossible to achieve if the walls are entirely glass.

Christian.

Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Big difference in planning controls iirc if the roof is more than 75 %
solid as it ceases to be a conservatory

It's about building control, not planning.

No. Planning. The conservatory is being changed into an extension. Inside
of a part time room (conservatories are for plants) it become a full time
room.

Are you sure about the 75%? If so, the whole roof could be covered and
packed with insulation - essential.

You basically have a choice.

You can make it a conservatory by having sufficient windows. If you do

this,
you don't have to worry about u-Values, but you must separate it from the
rest of the house with external grade walls, doors and windows.

If you don't have sufficient windows/translucent roof, then it counts as

an
extension and must be fully insulated. This is actually difficult or
impossible to achieve if the walls are entirely glass.

It can still be separate from the rest of the house with external grade
walls, doors and windows. A reason for the tiles could aesthetics, and no
rain noise.

Christian McArdle

It's about building control, not planning.

No. Planning.

Generally speaking, planning rules are not affected whether it is a
conservatory or an extension, particularly in reference to exemptions and
permitted development etc. The fact that it is a conservatory only become
involved if there is an element of appearance in the mix, such as attempting
to maintain the appearance of a conservation area, or your front elevation
facing a highway.

The conservatory is being changed into an extension. Inside of a part time
room (conservatories are for plants) it become a full time room.

Well, the term conservatory has a special meaning under planning and
building law and it has nothing to do with plants, whatever the Victorian
definition of the word was.

It can still be separate from the rest of the house with external grade
walls, doors and windows. A reason for the tiles could aesthetics, and no
rain noise.

Yes, but it is not allowed under the building regulations without some
serious hoop jumping. Basically, to enable you to have glass walls, you NEED
the conservatory building control exemption to apply. For it to apply, you
need a translucent roof.

You can get a glass walled non-conservatory to pass, but it is a serious
business, probably involving superinsulating the rest of the house in
compensation.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:00:00 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.net...
Big difference in planning controls iirc if the roof is more than 75 %
solid as it ceases to be a conservatory

It's about building control, not planning.

No. Planning. The conservatory is being changed into an extension. Inside
of a part time room (conservatories are for plants) it become a full time
room.

Incorrect. It is Building Regulations. Refer to Approved Document on
part L1 section 1.58

"1.58 For the purposes of the guidance in Part
L, a conservatory has not less than threequarters
of the area of its roof and not less
than one half of the area of its external walls
made of translucent material."

Are you sure about the 75%? If so, the whole roof could be covered and
packed with insulation - essential.

You basically have a choice.

You can make it a conservatory by having sufficient windows. If you do

this,
you don't have to worry about u-Values, but you must separate it from the
rest of the house with external grade walls, doors and windows.

If you don't have sufficient windows/translucent roof, then it counts as

an
extension and must be fully insulated. This is actually difficult or
impossible to achieve if the walls are entirely glass.

It can still be separate from the rest of the house with external grade
walls, doors and windows. A reason for the tiles could aesthetics, and no
rain noise.

That would prevent the definition of "conservatory" in building
regulations from applying.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl