James Lee

Default anchoring: carport

Hi,

I have an attached carport that is built by the previous
owner. It has a metal roof. One side rest on the roof, about
two feet from the edge of the roof. The resting is of course
a very bad thing to have, since the area under the carport
never see the sun. Overall, the thing is still in a good
condition, and I would like to keep it.

I'm thinking if it is a good idea to add anchoring support
to the entire structure on the side of that roof support and
then sawing off the portion back by about 2 feet, so that
the structure rests on the anchoring supports, away from the
roof.

Is that a good idea? If so, how do I go about adding the
extra support. The ground is already cemented.

thanks.

James.
James Lee

I'm thinking if it is a good idea to add anchoring support
to the entire structure on the side of that roof support and
then sawing off the portion back by about 2 feet, so that
the structure rests on the anchoring supports, away from the
roof.

Sorry, forgot to add that the anchors are for 2 or 3 4x4 posts
on the house side to provide support.

james
Tom Baker

James Lee wrote in message ...
I'm thinking if it is a good idea to add anchoring support
to the entire structure on the side of that roof support and
then sawing off the portion back by about 2 feet, so that
the structure rests on the anchoring supports, away from the
roof.

Sorry, forgot to add that the anchors are for 2 or 3 4x4 posts
on the house side to provide support.

james

James,
Your description of the carport structure lacks enough detail to make
a suggestion impossible.

The goal appears to be removing the metal carport roof from the house
roof.
That's a Good Thing, since any movement of the carport roof risks
damage to the shingles.

Some questions to ask and answer before proposing a solution:
Will changing the present arrangement change the way rain runs off the
house roof?
Is that a problem that can be solved?
Is there a frame that needs to be changed to keep the roof in one
piece?
What shape members are in the frame?

These and perhaps other questions should be solved before work begins.

Tom
James Lee

Thanks for answering my post.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

Your description of the carport structure lacks enough detail to make
a suggestion impossible.

The carport has three 4x4 posts on the outer side, but the inner
side rests on the house roof at three points, about 2-3 feet from
the edge of the house roof. The house roof is medium cedar shake
and the carport roof is metal (galvanized zinc). The carport roof
is sloped away from the house, so rain runs off to the outer
side. I'll be putting up a new roof for the house sometime next
year. Except for the slope angles, it looks something like this
(== is the carport roof):

/^\
/ \
/ \= ----------want to cut back here.
/ \ =
/ \ =
/ \ =
^

need to add support here
The goal appears to be removing the metal carport roof from the house
roof.
That's a Good Thing, since any movement of the carport roof risks
damage to the shingles.

I want to move the carport roof away from the house roof, so I
need to support the inside of the carport roof with new 4x4
posts. To make the least movement and changes, I want to anchor
new posts to support the carport roof (no change in height and
slope), but cutting back the roof so that it no longer rests or
covers the house roof. There will be a gap between the edge of
the inner side of the carport roof and the edge of the house roof
as a result of this.

Some questions to ask and answer before proposing a solution:
Will changing the present arrangement change the way rain runs off the
house roof?

Rain on the house roof will run off the house roof to the gutters
which are already there (though needs some repairs). Rain on the
carport roof will run away from the house to the other side. So,
nothing needs to be changed here.

Is that a problem that can be solved?
Is there a frame that needs to be changed to keep the roof in one
piece?
What shape members are in the frame?

No, I reckon there isn't much I need to deal with the roof,
except maybe make sure it is still water-tight. The three resting
points have 8x8 wooden blocks on the house roof.

In particular, I want to know what kind of anchoring system I can
use for the 4x4 posts. The ground is already cemented, so I need
to drill the anchors in.

Thanks once again.

James.

Anchoring concrete block row and base plate to existing porch slab? Stellijer Home Repair 5 March 31st 04 04:51 AM
Carport Framing Question Chuck Metalworking 17 March 24th 04 12:38 AM
Want to move Carport Tony Hayes UK diy 9 January 15th 04 02:49 PM
Insulating a carport closet Marc Home Repair 0 November 17th 03 04:01 PM
Leaking roof over carport Mark Lewis UK diy 1 November 12th 03 04:41 PM