James Salisbury

Default Electronic Water Descalers / softeners

Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

Mike Ring

"James Salisbury" wrote in
:

Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

Course they do

Mike R
Mike Ring

"James Salisbury" wrote in
:

how do they perform compared to the magnet versions?

I don't think anyone wants to join a thread from hell so I'll tell you
whats occurred and go away, because I don't want to be in a thread from
hell either.

The vast majority think they are absolute rubbish; some allow as how they
*might* have a temporary effect that would help where the water is to be
used immediately. This applies to bothe versions.

a very few feel they work; with a religious fervour, so name calling occurs
and the general level of bonhomie drops.

I don't think you will get much light, but are in danger of creating a lot
of heat!

Mike R

The Natural Philosopher

James Salisbury wrote:

Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

For 99% of applications, no.

The Natural Philosopher

James Salisbury wrote:

how do they perform compared to the magnet versions?

Probabl;y equally as badly: If your watyer contains calcium carbonate,
you can possibly affect where and it what form it deposits, but not
prevent it completely.

Replacing it wuith sodium carboneate stops the problems perfectly, at
the downside of fair capital expense, the need to fill em up with salt,
and a different taste and feel to the water, which I presonally prefer.

John Wood

"James Salisbury" wrote in message
Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

FWIW....

I used to descale the kettle frequently.

I started using a Wickes electric conditioner and a Brita filter at the same
time.

I don't know which does the trick, but I no longer get any build up on the
element.

On taps etc. I do get some build up round the base but it is easier to shift
and not so plentiful.

I think it works, but I have no proof about dissolving existing scale. It
might be working but I've no intention of taking my bot water cylinder to
bits to find out.

If offered my money back I would keep the gizmo.

--
John Wood, Derby England.
Please note: Return email address is modified

Eric Dockum

I'm considering giving one a try on the cold input to a Combi.
However these electronic descalers are advertised to work (or not)
with a magnetic field applied to the water, so - Is there any
problem with them interfering with other systems, e.g. the chip in the
boiler itself, or the thermostat control system which in my case is
wireless??

Any history of problems Folks?

Eric

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"James Salisbury" wrote in message
Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

Mine works. I reduces scale by about 80%. So to me it was worth it. In
some homes they do little, so get a no quibble money back guarantee. They
tend to work better just before an appliance: combi, cylinder, etc. So if
it gives no joy when installing it on the cold mains, try putting it just
before the cold water feed to the cylinder and observe.

---

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Eric Dockum wrote:
I'm considering giving one a try on the cold input to a Combi.
However these electronic descalers are advertised to work (or not)
with a magnetic field applied to the water, so - Is there any
problem with them interfering with other systems, e.g. the chip in the
boiler itself, or the thermostat control system which in my case is
wireless??

Shouldn't think they do that either. ;-)

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

John Wood wrote:

"James Salisbury" wrote in message

Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

FWIW....

I used to descale the kettle frequently.

I started using a Wickes electric conditioner and a Brita filter at the same
time.

Britas seem to work - I don't know why tho.

I don't know which does the trick, but I no longer get any build up on the
element.

On taps etc. I do get some build up round the base but it is easier to shift
and not so plentiful.

I think it works, but I have no proof about dissolving existing scale. It
might be working but I've no intention of taking my bot water cylinder to
bits to find out.

If offered my money back I would keep the gizmo.

dmc

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I actually use the filters for about 3 times longer than you are
supposed to (this is a jug kept in the fridge -- would be more
hesitant about one at room temp).

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they
seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

We have a britta jug and only use it for the kettle. I've never worried
too much (certainly never keep it in the fridge) and have always assumed
that any bug living in it will be killed by boiling in the kettle...

I guess its only boiled for a few seconds - should I be concerned? No
obvious side effects in the 5 or so years that I have been doing this!

Has anyone found any interesting uses for used Brita filters?
They are not 'expired' in that they are still softening the
water when I stop using them. Could they be recharged with
brine to use as ion exchange softeners (not for drinking water)?

On a similar subject, anyone know of a decent cheap source of them?

Darren

geoff

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Has anyone found any interesting uses for used Brita filters?
They are not 'expired' in that they are still softening the
water when I stop using them. Could they be recharged with
brine to use as ion exchange softeners (not for drinking water)?

I wonder how useful they would be for purifying aquarium water?
--
geoff

parish

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
James Salisbury wrote:

how do they perform compared to the magnet versions?

Probabl;y equally as badly: If your watyer contains calcium carbonate,
you can possibly affect where and it what form it deposits, but not
prevent it completely.

Replacing it wuith sodium carboneate stops the problems perfectly, at
the downside of fair capital expense, the need to fill em up with salt,
and a different taste and feel to the water, which I presonally prefer.

I presume that you are referring to water softeners? If so, I thought
that you aren't supposed to drink the water from them (always have an
un-softened tap in the kitchen for drinking water)?

Regards,

Parish - who's curious 'coz he's thinking about getting a water softener.

parish

Roger Mills wrote:

James Salisbury wrote in message
Hi,

Do the above mentioned devices actually work?

There have been long discussions about this in the past - and most people
seem to believe that they *don't* work.

My own experience (based on a statistical sample of one!) is that they do
*something* - but not what it says on the box.

One, the WaterImp, *claims* to work and it is even "endorsed" by the
Chemical Engineering Dept. at Bath University,
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/scientific.html

The Natural Philosopher

dmc wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I actually use the filters for about 3 times longer than you are
supposed to (this is a jug kept in the fridge -- would be more
hesitant about one at room temp).

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they
seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

They are. Both my filter units - when I used em - went algal green.

Washing out in bleach solved the problem.

The Natural Philosopher

James Salisbury wrote:

how do they perform compared to the magnet versions?

Probabl;y equally as badly: If your watyer contains calcium carbonate,
you can possibly affect where and it what form it deposits, but not
prevent it completely.

Replacing it wuith sodium carboneate stops the problems perfectly, at
the downside of fair capital expense, the need to fill em up with
salt, and a different taste and feel to the water, which I presonally
prefer.

I presume that you are referring to water softeners? If so, I thought
that you aren't supposed to drink the water from them (always have an
un-softened tap in the kitchen for drinking water)?

You aren't supposed to drink from lead pipes, touch asbestos without a
government license, smoke cigarettes, get industrial cleaning fluid on
your bare skin, go to motor races and pop concerts withot ear defenders
etc etc.

Done all of those, and at 53, am not in perfect health like I was at 20,
but I ain't dead yet :-)

I'll say tho, that clening fluid on bare skin makes you feel like ****
for a few days.

For me, If I was worried about blood pressure etc, I would stop smoking,
not worry about the tiny amount of sodiaum carbonate in softened water.
There is far more muck in 'natural' mineral water.

Regards,

Parish - who's curious 'coz he's thinking about getting a water softener.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
dmc wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I actually use the filters for about 3 times longer than you are
supposed to (this is a jug kept in the fridge -- would be more
hesitant about one at room temp).

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they
seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

They are. Both my filter units - when I used em - went algal green.

I've never had anything like that. Although I do clean the jug out
when changing the cartidge as recommended, it never shows any sign
of needing it. The cartidges contain something (silver, IIRC) to
prevent bacteria growth in them. It probably doesn't remain effective
forever.

However, the water once filtered has no protection, so you shouldn't
keep it for more than 24 hours, and not in the Sun. As I said, I keep
mine in the fridge anyway. In reality, I use at least a jugfull every
24 hours, but if I go away for a few days, on my return, what's in
there gets used for watering plants or similar and I refill it fresh.

--
Andrew Gabriel
geoff

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

You aren't supposed to drink from lead pipes, touch asbestos without a
government license, smoke cigarettes, get industrial cleaning fluid on
your bare skin, go to motor races and pop concerts withot ear defenders
etc etc.

Done all of those, and at 53, am not in perfect health like I was at
20, but I ain't dead yet :-)

I'll say tho, that clening fluid on bare skin makes you feel like ****
for a few days.

For me, If I was worried about blood pressure etc, I would stop
smoking, not worry about the tiny amount of sodiaum carbonate in
softened water. There is far more muck in 'natural' mineral water.

Egggsactly.

I've crossed a pelican crossing against a red light, lived in the far
east for three years without taking malaria pills, driven at 130 mph
on a regular basis, used to clean glass in the chemistry lab by dipping
my finger in the cleaning acid, occasionally get mains shocks, sometimes
get kV shocks, drink heavily, smoke a lot, ride a motorbike, ... where
do I stop ?

It's part and parcel of living a bit - I'd rather die having lived a bit
than vegetating my life away.
--
geoff
geoff

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
dmc wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I actually use the filters for about 3 times longer than you are
supposed to (this is a jug kept in the fridge -- would be more
hesitant about one at room temp).

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they
seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

They are. Both my filter units - when I used em - went algal green.

Washing out in bleach solved the problem.

Nowt wrong with a bit of algae - don't water softeners contain a small
amount of silver which has been known to be a bactericide (?) since at
least Roman times
--
Geo.
dave @ stejonda

In message , geoff
writes
driven at 130 mph

That doesn't only put you at risk but others who you are not allowing
the choice.

--
dave @ stejonda

dave @ stejonda

In message , RichardS
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , geoff
writes
driven at 130 mph

That doesn't only put you at risk but others who you are not allowing
the choice.

Geoff doesn't say where, though. Germany would be prime candidate for
driving at that speed legally.....

The (il)legality of it isn't particularly an issue for me. I guess Geoff
just forgot to indicate that he was driving off-road.

--
dave @ stejonda
geoff

In message , "dave @ stejonda"
writes
In message , RichardS
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , geoff
writes
driven at 130 mph

That doesn't only put you at risk but others who you are not allowing
the choice.

Geoff doesn't say where, though. Germany would be prime candidate for
driving at that speed legally.....

The (il)legality of it isn't particularly an issue for me. I guess
Geoff just forgot to indicate that he was driving off-road.

Dontcha just love those welsh hills?

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:29:15 +0100, geoff wrote:

You got it. I owe you a beer if we ever have another uk-diy meet

WHICH REMINDS ME ... it's time we had another get together

Who's going to organise a London meet?

What about the rest of the country ?

Good plan.

I was going to try to organise something earlier in the year but ran
out of time and had other commitments.

I certainly don't mind doing so for later this month or early August
if people would like to post and/or email.

On the last occasion, John Schmitt organised a very good, and not
expensive curry venue in the West End preceded by meeting up in a
close-by pub.

IIRC, we went for a Friday night but I'm flexible.

I'll post a separate thread.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
geoff

In message , IMM
writes

It's part and parcel of living a bit - I'd rather die having lived a bit
than vegetating my life away.

You don't have to be irresponsible and take unnecessary risks to live a bit.
Although I do take risks with the cha cha cha.

What - slipping an extra step into the beat ?

Are you going to bring your handbag to the London meet?

--
geoff
dave @ stejonda

In message , geoff
writes

******** - everyone is allowed the choice, and being on an autobahn,
not against the law

having cycled on a stretch of the M25 near Staines I'd better shuddup
now, (I was lost & all I kept finding was this great mound of earth
buggering up local roads but which seemed to be going the way I wanted).

Btw, has the law changed regarding automatic culpability for accidents
on autobahns when driving above their nominal speed limit?

--
dave @ stejonda

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:08:26 +0100, geoff wrote:

Are you going to bring your handbag to the London meet?

Hmm, I just had to do a quick check. I think there must be a problem
with messages being crossposted - I'm in uk.d-i-y, not
alt.transvestite.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:37:48 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:29:15 +0100, geoff wrote:

You got it. I owe you a beer if we ever have another uk-diy meet

WHICH REMINDS ME ... it's time we had another get together

Who's going to organise a London meet?

What about the rest of the country ?

Good plan.

I was going to try to organise something earlier in the year but ran
out of time and had other commitments.

I certainly don't mind doing so for later this month or early August
if people would like to post and/or email.

On the last occasion, John Schmitt organised a very good, and not
expensive curry venue in the West End preceded by meeting up in a
close-by pub.

Is wearing CAT boots mandatory?

Absolutely.

Counts me out then.

If you want to come, you'll have to polish up your ruby
slippers.

Is this a Sarf Landan Cockneyism? Ruby = Ruby Murray = Curry.

---

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:35:26 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

On the last occasion, John Schmitt organised a very good, and not
expensive curry venue in the West End preceded by meeting up in a
close-by pub.

Is wearing CAT boots mandatory?

Absolutely.

Counts me out then.

If you want to come, you'll have to polish up your ruby
slippers.

Is this a Sarf Landan Cockneyism? Ruby = Ruby Murray = Curry.

I had a feeling that that one would go sailing straight over the top.

First of all, I don't believe that Bow is in Sarf Landan.

Anyway, more to the point, despite your aspirations to the role or
alter-ego of Austin Powers, I couldn't somehow visualise you with the
E-type and other paraphernalia required for time and fantasy travel.

Thinking that you must have a role model somewhere, the next nearest I
could think of was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. She made her travel
arrangements with a pair of ruby slippers, so naturally I assumed that
you would have a pair in pristine condition.

Wow!

---

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:35:26 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

On the last occasion, John Schmitt organised a very good, and not
expensive curry venue in the West End preceded by meeting up in a
close-by pub.

Is wearing CAT boots mandatory?

Absolutely.

Counts me out then.

If you want to come, you'll have to polish up your ruby
slippers.

Is this a Sarf Landan Cockneyism? Ruby = Ruby Murray = Curry.

I had a feeling that that one would go sailing straight over the top.

First of all, I don't believe that Bow is in Sarf Landan.

Anyway, more to the point, despite your aspirations to the role or
alter-ego of Austin Powers, I couldn't somehow visualise you with the
E-type

Correct! I have an Aston Martin.

---

Andy Hall

http://www.wildcollections.com/category/2.astonmartin/ ??

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Anyway, more to the point, despite your aspirations to the role or
alter-ego of Austin Powers, I couldn't somehow visualise you with the
E-type

Correct! I have an Aston Martin.

Aren't the pedals too close for your CAT boots?

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:09:49 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Anyway, more to the point, despite your aspirations to the role or
alter-ego of Austin Powers, I couldn't somehow visualise you with the
E-type

Correct! I have an Aston Martin.

http://www.wildcollections.com/category/2.astonmartin/ ??

That is nice. They even have a model of my DB5.

---

RichardS

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , RichardS
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , geoff
writes
driven at 130 mph

That doesn't only put you at risk but others who you are not allowing
the choice.

--
dave @ stejonda

Geoff doesn't say where, though. Germany would be prime candidate for
driving at that speed legally.....

You got it. I owe you a beer if we ever have another uk-diy meet

WHICH REMINDS ME ... it's time we had another get together

Who's going to organise a London meet?

What about the rest of the country ?
--
geoff

Well,

if it doesn't clash with any of the crap from my new company setup then I',m
up for it. I'd like to put a face to a few names.

it was the "all is klaar" from a previous post that gave it away, btw,

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

geoff

In message , RichardS
writes
WHICH REMINDS ME ... it's time we had another get together

Who's going to organise a London meet?

What about the rest of the country ?
--
geoff

Well,

if it doesn't clash with any of the crap from my new company setup then I',m
up for it. I'd like to put a face to a few names.

it was the "all is klaar" from a previous post that gave it away, btw,

Du meinst velleicht "alles klar"?

.... where's Thomas when you need him?
--
geoff
RichardS

"geoff" wrote in message

snip

Du meinst velleicht "alles klar"?

... where's Thomas when you need him?
--
geoff

doh! of course. you'll realise of course that my skill in that language
is very limited, and that the spelling was roughly phonetic!

note to self.... save all postings to draft and check in the morning, if
posting seems like a good idea after a rather too mucg vino... :-)

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

geoff

In message , RichardS
writes
"geoff" wrote in message

snip

Du meinst velleicht "alles klar"?

... where's Thomas when you need him?
--
geoff

doh! of course. you'll realise of course that my skill in that language
is very limited, and that the spelling was roughly phonetic!

note to self.... save all postings to draft and check in the morning, if
posting seems like a good idea after a rather too mucg vino... :-)

No, publish and be damned and live to regret it the next day

.... the expert speaks!
--
geoff