dmc

Default Electronic Water Descalers / softeners

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I actually use the filters for about 3 times longer than you are
supposed to (this is a jug kept in the fridge -- would be more
hesitant about one at room temp).

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they
seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

We have a britta jug and only use it for the kettle. I've never worried
too much (certainly never keep it in the fridge) and have always assumed
that any bug living in it will be killed by boiling in the kettle...

I guess its only boiled for a few seconds - should I be concerned? No
obvious side effects in the 5 or so years that I have been doing this!

Has anyone found any interesting uses for used Brita filters?
They are not 'expired' in that they are still softening the
water when I stop using them. Could they be recharged with
brine to use as ion exchange softeners (not for drinking water)?

On a similar subject, anyone know of a decent cheap source of them?

Darren