Andrew Gabriel

Default Electronic Water Descalers / softeners

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
dmc wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I actually use the filters for about 3 times longer than you are
supposed to (this is a jug kept in the fridge -- would be more
hesitant about one at room temp).

Heard this comment from several people - is it just because they
seem like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and such nasties?

They are. Both my filter units - when I used em - went algal green.

I've never had anything like that. Although I do clean the jug out
when changing the cartidge as recommended, it never shows any sign
of needing it. The cartidges contain something (silver, IIRC) to
prevent bacteria growth in them. It probably doesn't remain effective
forever.

However, the water once filtered has no protection, so you shouldn't
keep it for more than 24 hours, and not in the Sun. As I said, I keep
mine in the fridge anyway. In reality, I use at least a jugfull every
24 hours, but if I go away for a few days, on my return, what's in
there gets used for watering plants or similar and I refill it fresh.

--
Andrew Gabriel